Questions about axles

Right, but there isn't anyone offering these new.
TBH, IDK, several places claim they have beefier C's than OE, but unless it uses a bigger BJ is it any more than just a stiffer socket?

if your lookin at a TJ or JK axle and it says it'll run stock knuckles......... then it runs a stock BJ's and it not an improvement over stock.

have we had a recent report from the BJ delete guys?

Last edited:
Reactions: taylormade73
TBH, IDK, several places claim they have beefier C's than OE, but unless it uses a bigger BJ is it any more than just a stiffer socket?

if your lookin at a TJ or JK axle and it says it'll run stock knuckles......... then it runs a stock BJ's and it not an improvement over stock.

have we had a recent report for the BJ delete guys?
I haven't seen any updates from them. Would be interested in hearing.

Reactions: someguysjeep
No, they're still sitting in a box in my garage. BUt i've been thinking about installing them. Does that count? They're performing excellently in the box in my garage FWIW.

I know a few people running BJ deletes on JK axles with several thousand miles(10-20k+) with good results and no issues so far. They do also have a slight camber/castor adjustability in them but I’m not sure if it’s enough to negate turning the C’s to fit a TJ properly.

is this fact? Why am I not shopping XJs for a HP 30 then? There are countless part outs around here... Any specific years, or any XJ?
Yep, everything (steering, knuckles, brakes, hubs etc) can swap over minus the gears. I believe its any HP30 from a 92-99 XJ. There are some minor differences but if your swapping things over then it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 bucks for one though. I have no cost in mine up front other than RG&A shafts once I got done selling everything else I had in the previous axle.

Yep, everything (steering, knuckles, brakes, hubs etc) can swap over minus the gears. I believe its any HP30 from a 92-99 XJ. There are some minor differences but if your swapping things over then it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 bucks for one though. I have no cost in mine up front other than RG&A shafts once I got done selling everything else I had in the previous axle.
I think most the XJ’s have ABS and most TJ’s don’t. I believe that is the main difference outside of the differential itself.

Yep, everything (steering, knuckles, brakes, hubs etc) can swap over minus the gears.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 bucks for one though.
Why would the gears be different???

My experience has been that whatever somebody on a forum says a particular axle should cost, you should roughly triple it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha
Reactions: B00mb00m

My experience has been that whatever somebody on a forum says a particular axle should cost, you should roughly triple it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Helical cut of the gears. One uses a the drive side, one uses the coast side.

Does anybody offer this? My Currie HP44 uses standard TJ ball joints.

Yes Dynatrac offers a Hybrd Dana 44/60 housing

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-44-60-hybrid-axle.html
Other option is buy a Dynatrac HP44 housing and install your own "c" and knuckles. You can get the housing with tubes for about $2400.

Not sure if anyone offers it new, but the old trucks that used Dana 44's had either heavier Balljoints or Kingpins. I've had a notion to put together an axle with Kingpins...Something like a JK center section with 3" tubes and old Chevy inner C's and knuckles. It would be a TON of work and probably require custom axle shafts...but it would be a pretty good axle when done, I think.

If you are going to build your own axle there are a few things IMO you need to look at. One of them is WMS (wheel mount surface). A 70's Ford HP44 from a Bronco is JK width or close to it so you don't need custom axles if that is a width that works for you.
Know what axles you are going to want to run. If you want RCV's then you want to use Ford knuckles over Chevy knuckles. The reason being that you can fit the RCV thru the Ford knuckle where they don't on a Chevy knuckle.
RCV's warranty their shafts for up to 40" tires on a Dana 44.

I haven't seen any updates from them. Would be interested in hearing.

From the stuff I'm reading on FB the JK people running deletes seem to like them and aren't having issues. So if these inner "C" offered really are stronger than stock running deletes MIGHT be an option. I know they really aren't a supported mod here but I'm reading good things about them.
And he's working on deletes for the old school Dana 44's so when he gets them out I'll be installing a set on mine.

You can't use low pinion gears in a high pinion housing or vise a vera.

Yes Dynatrac offers a Hybrd Dana 44/60 housing

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-44-60-hybrid-axle.html
Other option is buy a Dynatrac HP44 housing and install your own "c" and knuckles. You can get the housing with tubes for about $2400.

If you are going to build your own axle there are a few things IMO you need to look at. One of them is WMS (wheel mount surface). A 70's Ford HP44 from a Bronco is JK width or close to it so you don't need custom axles if that is a width that works for you.
Know what axles you are going to want to run. If you want RCV's then you want to use Ford knuckles over Chevy knuckles. The reason being that you can fit the RCV thru the Ford knuckle where they don't on a Chevy knuckle.
RCV's warranty their shafts for up to 40" tires on a Dana 44.

From the stuff I'm reading on FB the JK people running deletes seem to like them and aren't having issues. So if these inner "C" offered really are stronger than stock running deletes MIGHT be an option. I know they really aren't a supported mod here but I'm reading good things about them.
And he's working on deletes for the old school Dana 44's so when he gets them out I'll be installing a set on mine.

You can't use low pinion gears in a high pinion housing or vise a vera.
The 70s hp44 needs to be retubed because of the radius arm wedges don’t they?

Are people doing that on Tj Dana 30/D44s? Link to write up for what it takes/costs?
no, not more than a handful, maybe. it's a step or 2 beyond what most do to run an axle.

and it's not an easy add on.... it's often a whole axle rebuild from a new locker that accepts new axle shafts with a larger diameter and spline count, to new C's and knuckles and custom steering.

i wouldn't consider a TJ axle worth the effort, they are good for up to 35" wheels when built right. and once you pass that point it's time to consider a step up.
the JK Dana 44 front axle is a different monster and it's almost close enough to keep us wishing we were just 1 step away from a better result.

Reactions: B00mb00m
i think there are some that don't have the wedges but still have the 1/2" tubes and better C's
The issue at that point becomes finding a 45-50 year old axle. JK44s are a much more common axle these days. Although if I were doing one I would get one of the housings from ECGS over a junkyard axle.

the JK Dana 44 front axle is a different monster and it's almost close enough to keep us wishing we were just 1 step away from a better result.
This is a good review of the JK swap. It's better than a TJ44 but its a far cry from the unbreakable Dana 60. It contains some serious fatal flaws, thin tubes, casting, skinny C's, tiny balljoints, marginal wheel bearings.

The 70s hp44 needs to be retubed because of the radius arm wedges don’t they?

It depends. Mine was a 1977 HP44 so it didn't have the cast in wedges. You have to look at the housing to verify if it's cast in or welded on. Also TNT Customs does offer a truss kit for the axles with the wedges.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_par...radius_arm_style_jeep_xj_tj_zj_mj_tnt_customs
Or find one from a F250 which has the larger axle tubes also. But it is also wider so would need to be narrowed.

This is a GREAT source of information on the Dana 44

https://web.archive.org/web/20060520174647/http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Reactions: someguysjeep
This is a good review of the JK swap. It's better than a TJ44 but its a far cry from the unbreakable Dana 60. It contains some serious fatal flaws, thin tubes, casting, skinny C's, tiny balljoints, marginal wheel bearings.
The Dana 60 is hardly unbreakable. I know people seem to think it is, but they fail too if you beat on them.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman