Rear lockers not engaging

Chock the front wheels and jack it up by the diff housing and put a jack stand on either side of the frame by the skid plate (if you have them). Then lower the jack under the diff housing and that will let the suspension droop down a little which will help get the diff away from everything else.
That’s what I did this time. Just wanted to make sure it’s got room to come out🤓

Reactions: Kevin Bright
Do not mix up the bearing shims when they fall out. If they switch sides during the reinstall, you will ruin the gears.
Would changing out the actuator require the gears to be re done? Tolerances are fairly tight.

My guess is no.

The actuator is loose under the bearing. If you cut the bearing cage off of inner race, you can remove the actuator without damaging it.

Hi Folks - I recently swapped my 2006 TJ Dana 30/35 with used Rubicon TJ Dana 44s. After making the pumps connected to both the axles and powered through two separate SPST switches, I am having some problems engaging the rear lockers. My dashboard light keeps flashing, but I hear the pump turning on and off. I tried putting the rear end on jack stands but didn't see that the wheels are spinning together. Any ideas on what might be the problem? My front one seems to be working fine although the dash light is not hooked up to the sensor since the guy cut the sensor wire at the tip of the sensor on the diff side, hardly any wire left to make the connections.

I tried driving in all modes (4 Lo, 4 Hi, 2WD) and making turns but the dash light keeps flashing. I even swapped the pumps between front and back, but still no luck.

Also, how hard is it to change the front/rear locker sensors? I need the front replaced because of no wire left to make connections.

The second picture shows "REAR LOCK" but that was blinking when I took the picture.

Thanks in advance.

IMG-4925.jpg

IMG-4928.jpg

Hi Folks - I recently swapped my 2006 TJ Dana 30/35 with used Rubicon TJ Dana 44s. After making the pumps connected to both the axles and powered through two separate SPST switches, I am having some problems engaging the rear lockers. My dashboard light keeps flashing, but I hear the pump turning on and off. I tried putting the rear end on jack stands but didn't see that the wheels are spinning together. Any ideas on what might be the problem? My front one seems to be working fine although the dash light is not hooked up to the sensor since the guy cut the sensor wire at the tip of the sensor on the diff side, hardly any wire left to make the connections.

I tried driving in all modes (4 Lo, 4 Hi, 2WD) and making turns but the dash light keeps flashing. I even swapped the pumps between front and back, but still no luck.

Also, how hard is it to change the front/rear locker sensors? I need the front replaced because of no wire left to make connections.

The second picture shows "REAR LOCK" but that was blinking when I took the picture.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 330958

View attachment 330959

It doesn't matter what mode you're in. Once you flip that switch and the pump turns on it should lock. (May take a rotation or two) The sensor does nothing as far as the jeep is concerned, it's purely the pressure from the pump.

The first thing I'd do is simply swap the outlet from the front locker to rear at the pumps. If the problem reverses you know it's a bad pump. If it doesn't I'd start looking for leaks in the system. If you can't find any leaks I'd remove the diff cover and see what you can see.

It shouldn't be turning on and off if it was working correctly so I'm betting it's either a bad connection or the pump diaphragm is shot.

Last edited:
First back out the fill plug on the rear diff. If screwed in too far it will jam the locker.

If the pump turns on and off and on and off, you have a leak somewhere in the system. Hose, diff nipple, hose inside the diff, or actuator.

You have to remove the carrier to replace the locker sensors. There's also a trick to getting them to go in correctly. A google search will turn up the procedure.