Removing front springs

If coil spring compressors are too scary you can just use ratchet straps from harbor freight.

I totally agree that it's totally stupid to believe and to push on others that you need a spring compressor to safely remove the springs. Remove enough of the right bolts and the springs will fall out on their own. That's been my experience on even the 5.5" RockKrawler springs I Installed into my first TJ way back when.

The only time I will use a spring compressor is if I'm doing McPherson struts. And before starting that I light a few candles on my garage altar and do a few chants.

Did I already say remove enough of the right bolts and the springs will fall out on their own?
But which is easier? Having yet to do this, I have little true idea - but it seems to me on the surface of it that using a compressor would be faster and easier than having to disassemble "half the Jeep" or whatever. *shrug*

I mean, if I take enough bolts out, the engine will fall out too - but its probably easier to use a cherry picker.

Reactions: srimes
But which is easier? Having yet to do this, I have little true idea - but it seems to me on the surface of it that using a compressor would be faster and easier than having to disassemble "half the Jeep" or whatever. *shrug*

I mean, if I take enough bolts out, the engine will fall out too - but its probably easier to use a cherry picker.
With typical lift heights there's really not much that needs to be unbolted. My usual is one end of the track bar. I'd nearly rather unbolt the entire axle than have to compress the springs with a compressor again though. And it wouldn't take much if any extra time. It takes time to compress a spring and then uncompress it. I didn't use a spring compressor to install my 4" Currie or 5.5" RockKrawler springs. Not to mention I can remove a track bar bolt and perhaps even a couple other bolts before I would be part-way into using a spring compressor.

Reactions: Zorba and SvtLdr
Having issues dropping the front spring of passenger side. I have track bar unbolted, shocks removed, sway bar removed. Tried using spring compressors but it got kinda sketchy so I backed out. Do you think removing the lower control arm at the frame would let me droop the axle more?