Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

I got to install a set of Savvy sliders on mine today. This is my first time being able to really study Blaine's design. Something that I have never noticed and am really enjoying is how the aluminum rocker sits higher at the bottom corner of the body than one might expect.

View attachment 410458

View attachment 410459

The underside has a bend on the outboard side of the torque box that brings the corner up to the height of the tub lip.

Which means that the outer steel slider angles upward. Meaning that despite the double layer of materials, the Savvy design has a bit more clearance than the more common 90° bend most other sliders have. There can't really be more clearance than this without modifying the body with a boatside design.
View attachment 410460

More telling would be a picture if possible taken looking in from the end. That shows the inside face of the aluminum backer goes up as high as possible to the lower edge of the tub.

Any update on these? Did they even ship yet?

I just got them today. I will answer things that I was curious about and answer questions if I can.

There are no instructions.
There are 4 bolts in the torque box.
They will cover the tub, but not the front fender.
The angle is about 30* and about 3/4" tall.

PXL_20230414_225444278.jpg

PXL_20230414_225805643.jpg

PXL_20230414_231332944.jpg

PXL_20230414_231656057.jpg

PXL_20230414_235407957.jpg

Last edited:
More telling would be a picture if possible taken looking in from the end. That shows the inside face of the aluminum backer goes up as high as possible to the lower edge of the tub.

Here is a shot from my jcrs and my the new savvy sliders. It also shows how much further back the savvy backer goes vs the jcr.

The rear block on the Savvy is also the correct thickness. The jcr is way to thin/small of a spacer block based in the height difference of the torque box front and rear.

20230402_194033.jpg

20230415_185353.jpg

Last edited:
If you add WW2WW to the mandatory list it significantly reduces choice. As far as I can see it is a choice between Savvy and GenRight Mini Boat Sides, and if you are going either of those routes they do not come cheaply, even in the US. Barnes 4WD do a WW2WW inexpensive option, bit it is attached to the body mounts which I guess counts it out.

I had a go at trying to update your original summary into a more simplified, tabular form. I have only done this for a few of the options and there are a few gaps still...
SavvyARBWarnPoison SpyderBarnes 4WDRT OffroadGenRight Mini Boat Sides
Rocker Guard Material?/?" Aluminium1/8" Steel3/16" Steel3/16" Steel3/16" Steel3/16" Steel3/16" Steel
Underside FixingsBoltsBoltsSpacers & BoltsBody MountsBody MountsSpacers & BoltsBolts
Step / SliderYYNYNYY
Step / Slider Material3/16" Steel1 1/4 Sch 40n/a? DOM3/16" Steel3/16" Steel1 3/4 .120" DOM
Backer SystemYYNNNN$39 option
WW2WWYNNNYNY (req's trim)
Underside Shape / TransitionDouble BendDouble BendCurvedSingle BendSingle BendSingle BendDouble Bend
Weightc.69lbsc.65lbs?c.74lbs?c.65lbs?
Domestic US Cost (ex. Shipping)$700$415$415$502$250$170$800

I have used Quadratec prices where they sell them, and the manufacturer's price where not. It seems in the three years since your original post costs have risen quite a lot in some cases.

As ever, the choice for me is different due to the cost of shipping. GenRight won't quote online to ship to the UK, but I did look at Savvy in the past and the cost delivered to me, incl. import taxes, came out at just short of $1900.

In the UK, as far as I can see, I can only buy ARBs, Poison Spyder or RT Offroad. The Poison Spyders are out due to body mounting, but out of interest they cost over $1700 in the UK. The ARBs (questions pending on robustness of materials) are just under $750. The RT Offroad option is available for about $260.

My thinking is therefore to get the RT Offroad and buy some aluminium to use as a backer plate as suggested further up this thread by Jerry. With the cost saving versus the only two viable WW2WW options I am pretty sure I could find somebody to weld a small extension piece on each end, but to be honest I will probably just live with the risk as the terrain here is typically not charaterised by big rocks.

Thanks for putting that chart together!

Savvy looks to be out of stock and most others need modifications.

After watching this YouTube video,
the ARB design (would match my front bumper lol), has backer plates, covers well under the tub (from what I can see), doesn’t tie into body mounts, not fully WW2WW coverage and seems to save +-$200 over savvy (wonder if the big box stores have sales that would apply to them?).

Anyone have experience with the ARB? I’m wondering about the 1/8” thickness

Thanks for putting that chart together!

Savvy looks to be out of stock and most others need modifications.

After watching this YouTube video,
the ARB design (would match my front bumper lol), has backer plates, covers well under the tub (from what I can see), doesn’t tie into body mounts, not fully WW2WW coverage and seems to save +-$200 over savvy (wonder if the big box stores have sales that would apply to them?).

Anyone have experience with the ARB? I’m wondering about the 1/8” thickness

I'll make you a deal on a used set.

Like anything, it depends on how much you will actually be using them. They don't hold up well when you fall off a line and drop on them.

I'll make you a deal on a used set.

Like anything, it depends on how much you will actually be using them. They don't hold up well when you fall off a line and drop on them.

Sounds like you got some body damage?

Unless I missed it, I didn’t see UCF rocker guards talked about. Google searches retuned no forum review posts.

They usually get pretty good reviews on their skids. They say that this is a bolt on application for rubicon owners so wondering if additional bolts would be needed/advised?

https://undercoverfab.com/rocker-guards/91-ucf-rocker-guards-for-jeep-tj.html

From what I can tell:
Backer plate: no
Mounting: tub
3/16 Steel
WW2WW: note sure but doesn’t appear to be

Unless I missed it, I didn’t see UCF rocker guards talked about. Google searches retuned no forum review posts.

They usually get pretty good reviews on their skids. They say that this is a bolt on application for rubicon owners so wondering if additional bolts would be needed/advised?

https://undercoverfab.com/rocker-guards/91-ucf-rocker-guards-for-jeep-tj.html

From what I can tell:
Backer plate: no
Mounting: tub
3/16 Steel
WW2WW: note sure but doesn’t appear to be

The UCF are ..2ww. 🤣 No in the front, yes in the rear. Don’t know what they were thinking there. Doesn’t look like much under tub protection. Using the Rubi mounting points is fine, but you’d need more. Any company that takes pictures like this makes me skeptical.

IMG_0332.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bowhunter
After looking at all the options I decided on the Genright. They aren't the cheapest, but checked all the boxes I was looking for, and one of those boxes was ww2ww. They just got done getting coated and I'm going to do a post on the complete install after I get them mounted, as I was unable to find a good post that explained what to do with the front fender and fender to tub seam.

20230522_144958.jpg

Anyone have an experience with the Warn rock sliders? I’ve seen another post where the directions mention to drill an extra hole by the W but the instructions I’ve seen don’t mention it.

Did they fix the bowing issue?

Yea, I got them. It was center punched. I didn’t have bowing issues.

Post in thread 'IPerkWVU's Shale Green 04 Rubicon Build'
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/iperkwvus-shale-green-04-rubicon-build.10423/post-275584

Anyone have an experience with the Warn rock sliders? I’ve seen another post where the directions mention to drill an extra hole by the W but the instructions I’ve seen don’t mention it.

Did they fix the bowing issue?

I have heard of this bowing issue too through my research. It was also mentioned that most don’t install that bolt where you have to drill an access hole in the tub behind the seat belt so that is likely the bowing issue

Originally when I started looking at sliders I thought the warns bowing was a result of using the sliders but I don’t think that is true, just my misunderstanding. Can you confirm?

And have to used the sliders on rocks? How have they been holding up?

Do you by chance have pictures of how the warn’s cover the underside of the tub?

I have heard of this bowing issue too through my research. It was also mentioned that most don’t install that bolt where you have to drill an access hole in the tub behind the seat belt so that is likely the bowing issue

Originally when I started looking at sliders I thought the warns bowing was a result of using the sliders but I don’t think that is true, just my misunderstanding. Can you confirm?

And have to used the sliders on rocks? How have they been holding up?

Do you by chance have pictures of how the warn’s cover the underside of the tub?

I would definitely install the bolt by the W, it’s not hard to drill a 1” access hole inside by the seat belt torque box area, it’s thin sheet metal. If you didn’t install the bolt, it’s a pretty big span of unreinforced slider.

I can try to grab some when I get home. If any bowing, there is a long gap of bolts on the front end of the slider under the jeep logo where a little gap formed against the body. Maybe the bowing was referring to that..

They’ve held up great, I don’t wheel in AZ type rocks but landed on them a few times.