Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

I'm going to trace for shorts for the 10th time, I am pretty sure there are no shorts in the system since it was checked and closed back up around 6 weeks ago. I talked to Mark from WranglerFix and he said it should be storing codes if there is anything to tell, so I may be sending it to him to have them check it out for a bit.

Reading the FSM, this could be a sign of bad gas. Given that I filled up this morning at a kind of podunk station in the mountains - maybe I will go to a local station I have used regularly without issue when there's not much traffic and refill and run around for a while.

On a happier note, Red Cone was fun! The trail up is okay, but once you clear the tree line it’s pretty amazing all the way around.

AFA53D61-A856-41C6-902C-ED69D47BFC72.jpeg

A fresh tank of gas and the Jeep was acting better. We’ll see over the course of the week, but why is this POS so sensitive?

If there is any shorts, I can’t trip them playing with the wiring harness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
Have you check the electrical connections at the fuel pump?

Not recently, I only went back to the connectors on the frame rail next to the transmission. I'll get back there too. I have a spare fuel pump sitting around, maybe I will toss that one in while I am at it.

Reactions: DrDmoney
considering you've gone through most of the sensors and ignition system from what I remember

I think so, either tested or replaced damn near everything on the sensor end. The more I read about the fuel pump assembly issues, it seems worth the install. Especially since it seems like it won’t trip a code.

When I was chasing my problem years ago, I thought it was the fuel pump when I was able to get the Jeep into a position where I noticed the pump shutting off. I replaced it and didn't fix anything. Eventually I noticed that when the fuel pump shut down, the ASD relay was activating which is what killed power to the fuel pump. That is when I started looking at sensors.

Regarding the bad gas, there was a moment early on where I also thought this was a fuel problem, specifically vapor lock. That is how I ended up with the full Injector and fuel rail insulating kit. Obviously that wasn't the problem and I still get the occasional hot restart stutter on a very warm summer day. :)

Last edited:
When I was chasing my problem years ago, I thought it was the fuel pump when I was able to get the Jeep into a position where I noticed the pump shutting off. I replaced it and didn't fix anything. Eventually I noticed that when the fuel pump shut down, the ASD relay was activating which is what killed power to the fuel pump. That is when I started looking at sensors.

Regarding the bad gas, there was a moment early on where I also thought this was a fuel problem, specifically vapor lock. That is how I ended up with the full Injector and fuel rail insulating kit.

How’d you trace through wires to find the short? I’ve been through them so many times now I’m probably desensitized to something.

I did notice my fuel gauge seemed inconsistent the last couple of days - which could be at least the sender. It was at 1/4 randomly then back close to just under a half on a similar grade.

How’d you trace through wires to find the short? I’ve been through them so many times now I’m probably desensitized to something.

I did notice my fuel gauge seemed inconsistent the last couple of days - which could be at least the sender. It was at 1/4 randomly then back close to just under a half on a similar grade.

Pure luck. There was also a moment where thought the problem was with cracked wire insulation in a really difficult area above the transmission. I could poke a fat wire bundle with a stick and kill the fuel pump. But I poked it enough that I stopped happening. After tipping the transmission down and inspecting the area I couldn't find any bad wires. I started pulling sensors and eventually had everything out back to the fuel pump. I put it all back together and the problem hasn't come back in the last 4-5 years. My best guess is that one of the o2 sensors I had replaced a free months earlier wasn't seated properly and would open up if the Jeep was twisted up just right.

I guess my point is that if this isn't the PCM, I strongly suspect this is still a sensor connection. And that it is really easy to lost on multiple wild goose chases trying to make sense of things that don't make any sense. I got really lucky in that I found and could recreate the situation that triggered the ASD.

Reactions: rasband
Also, once after that time of despair I recall getting funny readings from the fuel gauge and other things on the cluster. At the same time, Tyler actually noticed that my brake lights weren't working. That turned out to be the big wiring harness connector at the top middle of the firewall. When I solved the earlier sensor problem, I may not have seated that big connector, which took some time to work lose.

Pure luck. There was also a moment where thought the problem was with cracked wire insulation in a really difficult area above the transmission. I could poke a fat wire bundle with a stick and kill the fuel pump. But I poked it enough that I stopped happening. After tipping the transmission down and inspecting the area I couldn't find any bad wires. I started pulling sensors and eventually had everything out back to the fuel pump. I put it all back together and the problem hasn't come back in the last 4-5 years. My best guess is that one of the o2 sensors I had replaced a free months earlier wasn't seated properly and would open up if the Jeep was twisted up just right.

I guess my point is that if this isn't the PCM, I strongly suspect this is still a sensor connection. And that it is really easy to lost on multiple wild goose chases trying to make sense of things that don't make any sense. I got really lucky in that I found and could recreate the situation that triggered the ASD.

Right now it’s an endurance race between me figuring it out and my wife‘s patience, also a pretty long trip in 12 days that will take me to pretty remote spots. I just can’t get excited about any other vehicle to pull a trigger.

I’ve been through all the wiring enough times to be fairly confident that there’s not a short, but checking that everything is set and making contacts seems worthwhile. Swapping out the fuel pump with one I already have won’t hurt much as an added approach since many symptoms align (im thinking I may be into new territory vs the last set of issues).

Try going to Jeep Forum and see if mukluk or Rubi4MyMrs are still around. They were really good at figuring out electrical problems.

Reactions: rasband
Look at every wire at every plug connection.

Let’s suppose you were instructing an untrained eye (which maybe is me) - what specifics would you have them look at?

Maybe I’m messing something in this process up, so explaining like I’m fully new may be good for me.

I’ve gone through and added micro bends in a lot of places to attempt to make sure the male and female ends of the plugs meet for the first 2/3rds of the rig.

This AM before work I traced all the rest of the wires from the transmission back. I thought I spotted a flat spot in the loom but when I opened it the wires are all fine. Tracing and cleaning all the wires as I went, still nothing of note. It’s a little disheartening to not find any specific causes but I wrapped back up what I opened and continued on reseating and using contact cleaner on all the connectors along the way.

Since it’s just sitting there, I switched out the fuel pump assembly

75243DDD-2065-4E05-8A54-4F7015EFCA73.jpeg

This one primes a bit quieter and it fired up after a few seconds.

Are you adding any Di-electric to the connectors as you clean and re-assemble? How are you cleaning them. Are you ensuring there isn't any corrosion on the terminals?