School me on mid-arms

I won't. Fuck that light bar.
We build around a simple philosophy. Everything you need and nothing you don't. ;) Run a few trails with us and you'll have some auxiliary lighting of some sort before long.

I could give you a map, GPS coordinates, and good directions and you couldn't find your way to the exit of Sunbonnet in the daylight. Kat drove down the exit hill after dark, took someone who was feeling ill back to camp, picked up the portable welder, and then drove it back to us in total darkness back up the hill so we could weld a truss control arm mount back on that got ripped off.

If I gave anyone on here that task, they be whipping out 100 dollar bills with a quickness trying to find some lighting to help with the job.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I ran big Hellas on my bumper for the longest time before LED headlights became a thing. Some days I wish for a light bar but I haven't seen one that I love the design of the mounting of — they seem to leave too much of a gap where a tree branch can get in and act as a pry bar. (around here). Hows the mounting on that one? I think it was Ricky I was talking to who was complaining about the mounting of several he had tried too.
Tell me again how many trees you came across out there?

Tell me again how many trees you came across out there?

Depends on where "there" is. (yes, I'm avoiding the question.)

I found some snow for you: (yes, I'm creating a distraction)

We build around a simple philosophy. Everything you need and nothing you don't. ;) Run a few trails with us and you'll have some auxiliary lighting of some sort before long.

I could give you a map, GPS coordinates, and good directions and you couldn't find your way to the exit of Sunbonnet in the daylight. Kat drove down the exit hill after dark, took someone who was feeling ill back to camp, picked up the portable welder, and then drove it back to us in total darkness back up the hill so we could weld a truss control arm mount back on that got ripped off.

If I gave anyone on here that task, they be whipping out 100 dollar bills with a quickness trying to find some lighting to help with the job.

No arguments on supplementary lighting: it's often a very necessary thing, even with an excellent set of headlights. However, the overwhelming appropriation of 50" bars by the douchebag crowd in my particular corner of The Universe demands that I say "fuck that light bar" to any and all that I encounter. Even if I find myself in a situation where installing one on my own rig is a necessity, I'll still point at it and say "fuck that light bar" every time I see it...and I already talk to myself a lot, so that action probably won't attract any amount of additional attention.

Reactions: toximus
Depends on where "there" is. (yes, I'm avoiding the question.)

I found some snow for you: (yes, I'm creating a distraction)

View attachment 83948
During the approximate week you spent cruising around in Johnson Valley exactly 148.4 miles from my driveway to where your camp was set up, how many trees could you see on any morning when you woke up and got out of your tent and upright? In any direction within 10 miles of where your camp was? Not including any of those planted around homes where you are specifically excluded from travel unless you happen to know the owner of said property and are going for a visit.

No arguments on supplementary lighting: it's often a very necessary thing, even with an excellent set of headlights. However, the overwhelming appropriation of 50" bars by the douchebag crowd in my particular corner of The Universe demands that I say "fuck that light bar" to any and all that I encounter. Even if I find myself in a situation where installing one on my own rig is a necessity, I'll still point at it and say "fuck that light bar" every time I see it...and I already talk to myself a lot, so that action probably won't attract any amount of additional attention.
Every time I walk by my Jeep, I peek up and with a nod and tip of my hat, mutter under my breath, fuck you light bar and keep moving along. I suspect that most don't know that to carry 5 people in my rig is an ordeal of sorts. 2 sat on the tool box in the back which puts the middle of their shoulders above the roof line. One sat on Kat's lap, Kat and myself were the other two. Not a good night.

Every time I walk by my Jeep, I peek up and with a nod and tip of my hat, mutter under my breath, fuck you light bar and keep moving along. I suspect that most don't know that to carry 5 people in my rig is an ordeal of sorts. 2 sat on the tool box in the back which puts the middle of their shoulders above the roof line. One sat on Kat's lap, Kat and myself were the other two. Not a good night.

See? You say it, too. You know I'm right, no matter how useful and/or necessary that light bar might be.

See? You say it, too. You know I'm right, no matter how useful and/or necessary that light bar might be.
I'm actually not a fan, I'm just less of a fan of flailing about in total darkness trying to find something that fell down in a crevasse that might also harbor some sort of bitey creepy crawly thing with an eye on repelling foreign invaders.

Last edited:
During the approximate week you spent cruising around in Johnson Valley exactly 148.4 miles from my driveway to where your camp was set up, how many trees could you see on any morning when you woke up and got out of your tent and upright? In any direction within 10 miles of where your camp was? Not including any of those planted around homes where you are specifically excluded from travel unless you happen to know the owner of said property and are going for a visit.

I saw approximately 4 trees within 100ft. All Douglas-firs.

Reactions: zebra12
I'm actually not a fan, I'm just less of a fan of flailing about in total darkness trying to find something that fell down in a crevasse that might also harbor some sort of bitey creepy crawly thing with eye on repelling foreign invaders.

It's cute!!!!

Blaine often asks the interesting question of what if you had to choose between mid arms or a shock outboard. Can we reframe that? Mid arm or lockers? I have a feeling that lockers on both ends would take priority.
My frame of reference is likely skewed a bit. I wouldn't consider those two options normally due to believing that one would likely wind up with the mid arm after they have done all they can and still need some more performance and that always includes having it locked up.

Personally, having seen crap suspension work to get a rig through stuff merely due to both ends being locked, I'd recommend lockers before the mid arm.

Reactions: jjvw