Soft top vs hard top

This whole thread has now become ODD. If somebody wants to purchase a wrangler and never take the top off so be it. Nobody said that was illegal or weird. The more we obsess over it the more odd and weird it becomes. Buy what you like and be done with it.
Yeah, weird how this went from soft top vs. hard top to WTF are you doing driving a TJ with the top & doors on??!! Too much of that and we'll end up just like the Jeep Nazis on those other forums we all left to preserve our sanity...

Reactions: HardSell and Starrs
Ok, back to the topic at hand, or not. o_O

Mine came with both, had the hard top on the day I bought it, and that was the last time, even with Ohio weather. Heater works plenty well to overcome the cold. Just added 1/2 doors and zip up windows a week ago.

I searched out a JK with half doors as well, I think it's the only way to roll a Wrangler.

On the other hand, my wife has a JKU hardtop with heated seats and wouldn't have it any other way.

The beauty of a Wrangler is you can have it your way.

I think it's wrong to keep one stock, but that doesn't make you wrong if you do, I'll still wave or winch you out. ;)

I traded my soft top to a local guy for his hard top. TJ hard tops can be hard to find in good shape sometimes and can get pretty expensive.

I won’t be getting rid of my hardtop any time soon, but I am looking at getting a TrekTop NX frameless. I have a SofTopper on my YJ, but I don’t think I’ll get the same for the TJ. I like the sun rider feature on the TrekTop. I prefer the frameless because they are so easy to remove and store in my opinion. Amazon has them on sale right now for the spice and black denim.

If you want to get rid of yours, either sell it or trade for a soft top PLUS cash. I wouldn’t do a straight up trade. The hard top is worth at least 2-3 times what a used soft top is worth.

In my experience, the hardtop is slightly quieter and maybe a bit warmer in the winter. I usually swap tops in the Fall and Spring. Life got in the way of putting the HT on this year. So this is my first winter with just the soft top and it really isn't much different as far as comfort goes.

I spend most of the year with the rear window rolled up. The biggest reason I prefer to change with the seasons of because getting into the back in the winter with the soft top is a pain. The Jeep is my daily and I don't always want to put groceries in the passenger seat. :)

Hard doors vs soft doors is a far more dramatic difference! I love them in the summer, but I would never run soft doors in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: glwood
Would like to see some pics of the cart you build.
What I did, since I do not have a garage, and the large shed is too far away in the back yard:
img_1109-jpg.jpg

img_1116-jpg.jpg

img_1117-jpg.jpg

img_1118-jpg.jpg

I followed this setup.

View attachment 42544
Thanks to you both! The cart looks like a great option as soon as I make more space in the garage. Maybe I will get motivated. My side has all of the tools-mechanic and remodeling-so it’s a little tough, but this would be much easier than carting the top to the shed.
@glwood I saw some of your other pics. Wishing for about the millionth time that I had a four car garage (which would have room for the engine hoist.)
Does either of you have any idea what the top weighs/

Thanks to you both! The cart looks like a great option as soon as I make more space in the garage. Maybe I will get motivated. My side has all of the tools-mechanic and remodeling-so it’s a little tough, but this would be much easier than carting the top to the shed.
@glwood I saw some of your other pics. Wishing for about the millionth time that I had a four car garage (which would have room for the engine hoist.)
Does either of you have any idea what the top weighs/

I've read that it's around 130 - 140 lbs.

The beauty of a Wrangler is you can have it your way.

I think it's wrong to keep one stock, but that doesn't make you wrong if you do, I'll still wave or winch you out. ;)
Hey now!. Mine are both OEM, I like her without a botox face lift, tummy tuck and a boob job. Gaps, milk jugs nice and tight.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
That’s easy. Cherokee XJ. There all over

I had one and it was a great vehicle. RE 5.5" lift Dana 44 rear, disc brakes all around, 4.10's, 5sp and up country. That was the only car I ever bought new in my life. Sold it to a friend after 10 years and he still owns it today with over 250,000 miles on it. What a great ride. I prefer my Wrangler however. This thing is a blast!