Stronger Dana 30 differential cover?

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
Im looking at getting a sturdier diff cover for my front dana 30 axle. I've heard some good reviews about the Poison spyder and teraflex plates. Whats your guys opinions on these, and are there any other brands that I should look for/stay away from?

The problem with many aftermarket covers is they're made so big to look cool/beefy/bitchin' that they often cause the drag link/track bar to rub on them.

I'd go with a lower-half diff cover from either Warn or Rock Hard that just beefs up the lower part most likely to be run into a rock, or (better) get the diff cover from Barnett or Currie that beefs up the lower half together with a ramp leaving the stock upper diff as the factory designed it.

This is the cover available from Currie and Barnett

Barnes cover.JPG

This is the one from Rock Hard but Warn's is similar...

Rock Hard Diff Cofer.JPG

Last edited:
X2 to what Jerry said.

I wouldn't run anything other than Barnett or Currie.

This post made it easy to decide what I need after banging my diff cover in last weekend. I also banged in my rear Dana 44 cover. Does it matter as much what I order for that?

@jjvw has a 90s dodge ram dana44 cover that I believe is thicker than stock plus has a fill hole an inch or so higher

Reactions: jjvw
@jjvw has a 90s dodge ram dana44 cover that I believe is thicker than stock plus has a fill hole an inch or so higher

3/16" if I recall. It is definitely thicker than stock Jeep.

Is this something I should / can order online or should I just head to my local junkyard hoping to find a W150? There doesn't seem to be an interference issue in the rear to me (unless maybe the gas tank possibly?) so I was just looking to go as beefy as possible.

Junkyard would be cheaper. I need to pick one up too. Every dodge I looked at didn't have a Dana 44 though. Need to make another trip

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Is this something I should / can order online or should I just head to my local junkyard hoping to find a W150? There doesn't seem to be an interference issue in the rear to me (unless maybe the gas tank possibly?) so I was just looking to go as beefy as possible.

I say it's a junkyard part to make sure you get what you want. Mine was $20. I'm pretty sure it was Dodge. But I was walking a lot of rows that day.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Alright, placing an order for the alloy front. My Dana 30 cover is smashed in pretty good. The rear one isn't so bad so that can wait for more research / junkyard trips.

Reactions: JMT and tworley
Perhaps friday I'll run to the JY and look for a 44 cover for the rear