Old thread but hoping for some thoughts. While not quite ready for a swap yet, my left knee has arthritis and it is aggravated from shifting…not enough to stop me, and hopefully not for a long time, but since I plan to have my TJ until I die, there will come a point when I want to do a automatic swap.

My question is reference to the transfer case and if I will need to change that. I have the atlas four speed with the double low of 10.8:1, which is incredible in the manual, and the range of gear choices is awesome…but it drives right through the brakes, so it’s a clutch brake combo…as gas pedal not needed at all! I did see the automatic is actually a 1/2 inch shorter so I don’t think length is a problem, but without a clutch, will the double low in an automatic drive through the brakes as well? I saw some talk of people having issues (but seemed like wrong torque converter) with just the rubicon 4:1 ratio, so that concerns me.

If I do have issues, could I just slip back and forth between neutral and drive kind of like I do with the manual, or is that bad on the auto?

Finally, should I get parts now or are they likely always going to be available? Some of the items concern me more than others, so thinking of just getting everything now and then when I decide to do it I’ll be ready.

Thanks!

I don’t see why you would need to change the TCase. Your shafts should work with the lengths being so close. Bigger brakes and broken in properly should fix the drive through the brakes problem.

It’s no problem to slip back and forth from D to N.

I’d start getting the parts now. They are getting more and more difficult to come by. It’s why I did my NSG370 to 42rle swap earlier this year. If I waited 5 years it may be near impossible.