Synthetic winch rope end question

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Simple question really. If this works with a synthetic extension

shackle.jpg

then why not have this at the end of the winch rope instead of a thimble?

line-end.jpg

Are there issues with extensions breaking at the loop when attached with a soft shackle? What is the purpose of adding a piece of metal?

It is not a loaded question, I just don't know the answer.

Simple question really. If this works with a synthetic extension

View attachment 170536

then why not have this at the end of the winch rope instead of a thimble?

View attachment 170537

Are there issues with extensions breaking at the loop when attached with a soft shackle? What is the purpose of adding a piece of metal?

It is not a loaded question, I just don't know the answer.
Yes, it works. It may not always work. The reason is synthetic line has a minimum bend radius it needs to achieve full load strength. Without the thimble to hold the end of the eye open to that radius, you are compromising the strength.

Think of it in the extreme. Infinite radius is a flat surface like a table. Tightest radius we can easily achieve is the edge of a razor blade. The tighter the radius, the more damage can occur at lower loads.

The "piece of metal" is a thimble and is there to achieve a minimum bend radius which is also why you should avoid the thinner ones which will distort under load and allow the eye to collapse.

Do you use extensions, how do you connect them? I understand the radius thing but just was interested in why connecting an extension doesn't seem to consider this. Maybe there is a right way to do it I don't know. I understand or have read you say that the soft shackles are expendable compared to winch rope which I get but do the extensions suffer from this, are they just cheaper so it isn't an issue?

Do you use extensions, how do you connect them? I understand the radius thing but just was interested in why connecting an extension doesn't seem to consider this. Maybe there is a right way to do it I don't know. I understand or have read you say that the soft shackles are expendable compared to winch rope which I get but do the extensions suffer from this, are they just cheaper so it isn't an issue?
I have an extension, I have never used it in anger. I've used it for many other things. The biggest factor is load which is why I said it will work. Most folks never get to any thing close to breaking strength loads so it can matter but generally won't. I would absolutely use a soft shackle to connect an extension and have for the odd crap I was doing.

Reactions: pagrey