The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Anyone have good knowledge of reading an o2 sensor scan?
I got a p1196 code a while back and changed out the plug to an NGK, got the code to temporarily go away. Now the p1196 code is back along with p0420. Trying to determine if it is in fact a bad cat before throwing crazy money at it. Thanks

See post 617 on page 31. I just got another 2 year pass last month. Check your connectors. Make them visible then seal with silicone and electrical tape. Buy an extender to go over the bell housing rather than trying to stretch the harness to make contact.

How to Fix the DTC P1196?​

Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector pins and pins not connecting.

Also, I was able to solve a rotating 0420 lean code back in 2019 by purchasing a $10 extender to be screwed down stream (after header) into the O2 exhaust pipe port with the O2 sensor following. My 2005 Rubicon still passes, running quiet, smooth getting decent mileage since 2019 when I bought it. Its 4.0 L has over 154,000 on it and the dealer who sold it to me called last month and asked that I tell him if and when I want to let it go. He said he gets a half dozen or more potential buyers every week wanting TJRs. Made me feel pretty good. BTW, none of my O2 sensors are the difficult-to-find NTKs. Good luck and let us know.

Reactions: jcw
Hi Guys, just to update everyone, i have decided to move with a Denso upstream sensor (for my 97 2.5L TJ) as i didnt want to wait for NTK23179 to be back in stock and it works perfectly fine for me. All my jerking and hesitation problems belong to the past!
Its been 2 months now i ve been running my TJ with the Denso sensor and everything runs smoothly 🤞.
Hope it helps you in case you are having troubles getting the NTK23179 (especially in Europe)

Hi Guys,

Am wondering if any of you faced any issues with the NTK23179 O2 upstream sensor after long use and specifically with the 2.5L TJ? Or does it work fine for you? I mean is there anyone that has installed the NTK23179 for multiple months now and faced any issues?

Am asking as the Denso sensor i installed months ago is now failing unfortunately causing me the same issues i had earlier (hesitation, jerking etc) and i wanted to confirm if the NTK 23179 its ok to use as i will be travelling to Vegas next week for a conference and might be good for me to buy while being in the US (cant get the sensor in Europe). Alternative i found a mopar one but its extremely expensive (more than 200euros/dollars).

Thank you in advance

Reactions: HardSell
Hi Guys,

Am wondering if any of you faced any issues with the NTK23179 O2 upstream sensor after long use and specifically with the 2.5L TJ? Or does it work fine for you? I mean is there anyone that has installed the NTK23179 for multiple months now and faced any issues?

Am asking as the Denso sensor i installed months ago is now failing unfortunately causing me the same issues i had earlier (hesitation, jerking etc) and i wanted to confirm if the NTK 23179 its ok to use as i will be travelling to Vegas next week for a conference and might be good for me to buy while being in the US (cant get the sensor in Europe). Alternative i found a mopar one but its extremely expensive (more than 200euros/dollars).

Thank you in advance

I'm not sure if the export Jeeps use the same NTK numbers as the US sold jeep or not, but if you looked up your Jeep and got that number from NGK/NTKs website it should be the right one. OEM (Mopar) sensors are NTK.