Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

:risas3:

I never even knew a 6 cylinder SE existed! I learned something new.
Hopefully whoever owns that SE will see this and chime in. I remember a few of us commented on that thread when the owner stated he had an SE, but with a 4.0L engine. I think the engine option is listed in the Trim Packages and Special Editions section of the thread 'Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications'

Last edited:
Hopefully whoever owns that SE will see this and chime in. I remember a few of us commented on that thread when the owner stated he had an SE, but with a 4.0L engine. I think the engine option is listed at the end of that thread 'TJ changes by model year' or some such named thread.

Yeah, I just went and looked at that thread and it is listed there.

At that point it doesn't really seem like an SE. I mean I always figured the SE was a 4 cylinder and that's what made it an SE. Seems like a SE with with a 6 cylinder would just be an X.

Who knows what Jeep was thinking at the time. Probably just trying to get rid of leftover parts they had (i.e. engines).

Reactions: WmGardner
Yeah, I just went and looked at that thread and it is listed there.

At that point it doesn't really seem like an SE. I mean I always figured the SE was a 4 cylinder and that's what made it an SE. Seems like a SE with with a 6 cylinder would just be an X.

Who knows what Jeep was thinking at the time. Probably just trying to get rid of leftover parts they had (i.e. engines).
That's definitely something Jeep does. Like when they ran out of HP Dana 30's in the middle of the 2000 XJ line, so they used the low pinion version instead.

Reactions: WmGardner and Chris
They did offer a 6 cyl as an option in 2005-2006.
I've been waiting for someone to point that out. ;) While that is absolutely true, if most think the way I do, the first thing they think of when they hear "SE" is four banger. Hell, it gives them a certain unique appeal, in my book! :)

That's definitely something Jeep does. Like when they ran out of HP Dana 30's in the middle of the 2000 XJ line, so they used the low pinion version instead.

Yep, I knew about that one as I used to own several XJs. I guess it makes sense. They're trying to off-load parts they won't use, especially towards the end of a generation. In this case since the TJ was ending production in 2006, they knew they wouldn't need those extra 4.0s they had laying around.

Reactions: WmGardner
I've been waiting for someone to point that out. ;) While that is absolutely true, if most think the way I do, the first thing they think of when they hear "SE" is four banger. Hell, it gives them a certain unique appeal, in my book! :)
You're right. Most likely only the few who own one know that in their case, SE stands for Straightsix Edition.

Reactions: Squatch
Bringing this thread back to life. So far I've had 15 (yes, FIFTEEN people) email me about the 2021 Jeep Wrangler TJ Fest expressing frustration that it is not "LJ" inclusive.

I won't mention names, but I will take an excerpt from todays email I received:

Us LJ guys are feeling left out. How about TJ/LJ Fest?

So there you have it. While I understand that the LJ term was coined by Jeep enthusiasts, you have a subset of people here who generally do not know that their LJ is actually a TJ Unlimited.

When they hear us talking about TJs, they actually think they aren't included in that, because to them, they have an LJ.

This is where the confusion sets in. To myself, and the knowledgable folks, we know that an LJ is a TJ Unlimited, and that LJ is just the name the enthusiasts coined.

However, you genuinely have people who are confused and feel left out.

I mean think about that... FIFTEEN people have emailed me so far asking why the TJ Fest is only for TJs and not LJs.

• Face Palm
Reactions: DEValken
Bringing this thread back to life. So far I've had 15 (yes, FIFTEEN people) email me about the 2021 Jeep Wrangler TJ Fest expressing frustration that it is not "LJ" inclusive.

I won't mention names, but I will take an excerpt from todays email I received:

So there you have it. While I understand that the LJ term was coined by Jeep enthusiasts, you have a subset of people here who generally do not know that their LJ is actually a TJ Unlimited.

When they hear us talking about TJs, they actually think they aren't included in that, because to them, they have an LJ.

This is where the confusion sets in. To myself, and the knowledgable folks, we know that an LJ is a TJ Unlimited, and that LJ is just the name the enthusiasts coined.

However, you genuinely have people who are confused and feel left out.

I mean think about that... FIFTEEN people have emailed me so far asking why the TJ Fest is only for TJs and not LJs.
My rule is very simple. If you aren't smart enough to understand that your longer piece of shit is a TJ, stay the fuck home.

To myself, and the knowledgable folks, we know that an LJ is a TJ Unlimited, and that LJ is just the name the enthusiasts coined.

To myself, your TJ is just a Wrangler unless you bought it in Canadia. TJ is just a name the enthusiasts stole from America's hat.

Reactions: Mr. Bills and Chris
  • Haha
Reactions: Apparition
1597025717261.gif

To myself, your TJ is just a Wrangler unless you bought it in Canadia. TJ is just a name the enthusiasts stole from America's hat.
TJ is the body code. TJJ is the domestic version. TJJ 77 is the short wheel base. TJJ 78 is the longer wheel base.

TJ is the same designator like YJ, XJ, MJ, SJ, ZJ, JK, KJ, BU, etc..

I actually don't care what anyone refers to it as. I guess what gets me is that given the number of emails I receive personally, there are a lot of people out there who genuinely don't realize their "LJ" is a "TJ".

Some people see "TJ Fest" and they assume that because they have an LJ, they aren't welcome :LOL:

There's some people in this thread back a few pages who seemed genuinely offended that I even made this thread to begin with. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Apparition
The more questions I answer, the more I understand where you're coming from.

I mean now we have a "What did you do to your LJ today?" thread, along with a "What did you do to your TJ today?" thread :ROFLMAO:
The vast majority of the parts I use other than fabrication parts I get directly from the dealer. I'm set up so I can call in the order, they order it if needed, they call me when it shows up, I go pay for it and bring the part home.

I have worked primarily on the TJ Unlimited for the last 5-6 years. Not once have I ordered a TJJ 78 specific part in that time except for belt rails and parking brake cables. I call in, give them the year of the TJ I am working on. I don't get any wrong parts other than simple fuck-ups by me or them.

Reactions: Chris
I actually don't care what anyone refers to it as. I guess what gets me is that given the number of emails I receive personally, there are a lot of people out there who genuinely don't realize their "LJ" is a "TJ".

Some people see "TJ Fest" and they assume that LJs aren't welcome :LOL:

There's some people in this thread back a few pages who seemed genuinely offended that I even made this thread to begin with. :rolleyes:

Go along with it. LJs will not be waved at.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris