TJ rear storage solution

do most of you not run back seats? and if so why i feel like it’s an essential but i could be wrong but more trunk space would be nice.
I haven't in my current TJ because the front seats don't fold anyway. It's very nice just having a big open space back there. I'm my previous one I kept the back seat flipped up unless it was actively in use.

do most of you not run back seats? and if so why i feel like it’s an essential but i could be wrong but more trunk space would be nice.
I hardly ever put my back seat in. I rarely carry passengers, much less more than 1. I'm actually in the middle of transitioning into a full rear seat delete and I'll be putting a storage drawer back there and possibly the spare tire. The main advantages of not having the back seat are cargo space and weight reduction. However, the back seat is essential for some people. If I used it often, I would keep it in, but I simply don't.

The first thing I did when I bought my TJ was take out the rear seat to start measuring camping load solutions, I wrapped it in plastic and its in my shed for good.
99% of the time its just me in the driver seat, sometimes my wife in the passenger seat, If people want a ride in a jeep they can find a friend with a 4 door :)

I was looking into the drawer at first and then I decided to go the shelf route. I just thought the shelf would be more useful day to day.

I use a shelf in my LJ behind the factory rear seat. There isn't room in a TJ for both seat and shelf, but there are some photos in this thread showing how simple a shelf design can be.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/

When Brad Kilby was still in the TJ accessory business he marketed a shelf for TJ's that worked quite well. I remember the prototype in his "TJ-7." They have been discontinued for years, but there was a guy in L.A. trying to sell one new in a box on this forum in 2016 or 2017. Don't know if he ever sold it, but here is the link to the ad:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/kilby-interior-cargo-rack-for-tj.7315/
Link to article about the rack, with install photos:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/reviews/kilbyrack/

1624026081175.png

1624026360384.png

I don't run a back seat even with the extra length of the unlimited. I think I could fit my tools and recovery gear in a TJ with four people in it but there would be zero room for cold drinks unless somebody had it on their lap.

@Tycarver how does the rack mount? Looks like it might come with brackets but I couldn't find any good pictures. I think bestop and maybe others make a plastic or FRP rack but I don't think they have mounts.

I don't run a back seat even with the extra length of the unlimited. I think I could fit my tools and recovery gear in a TJ with four people in it but there would be zero room for cold drinks unless somebody had it on their lap.

@Tycarver how does the rack mount? Looks like it might come with brackets but I couldn't find any good pictures. I think bestop and maybe others make a plastic or FRP rack but I don't think they have mounts
I’m unsure what rack your referring to so I’ll address everything haha.

The middle shelf uses one large bolt to go through the pre drilled hole on the top of the wheel wells. And then the factory bolt that hold the roll cage in the rear.

the top shef is held in with clamps around the roll bars.

And I took out my back seat right after I got the Jeep. I never need to drive more then 2 people and in the off chance I do I would not want to put them in the back seat of my TJ. Also having all that room for storage has been very helpful before I took out my rear seat it would be really hard to pack my camping gear now it’s easy to do. I go on a camping trip for a week in a little less then a month. I’ll send a picture of how everything looks packed up.

@Tycarver how does the rack mount? Looks like it might come with brackets but I couldn't find any good pictures. I think bestop and maybe others make a plastic or FRP rack but I don't think they have mounts.

The rack from BesTop has brackets that hang down from the rollbar or one that mounts it above the rear tire.

Olympic use to offer a nice rack system but I'm not sure if they are in business anymore.

Reactions: pagrey
I use the Tuffy Box that is fully enclosed and locks into the tailgate so no need for another key. At any given time I have my biking/hiking/climbing gear with me so spending $500 for security was a no brainer for me. I could've built something a lot cheaper but it wouldn't have been near the quality & I value my time a lot more than saving a couple hundred bucks.

Some of the best money I have spent on the TJ

PXL_20210618_160945075.jpg
PXL_20210618_161025081.jpg
PXL_20210618_161054943.jpg

I use the Tuffy Box that is fully enclosed and locks into the tailgate so no need for another key. At any given time I have my biking/hiking/climbing gear with me so spending $500 for security was a no brainer for me. I could've built something a lot cheaper but it wouldn't have been near the quality & I value my time a lot more than saving a couple hundred bucks.

Some of the best money I have spent on the TJ

View attachment 260137View attachment 260138View attachment 260139
Here's a solution to your pump space problem :)

pump.jpg

Anyone seen any solutions for racks that clamp to the rollbar? Aside from the egregiously priced bestop solution. I too run the tuffy console, but I also have a tonneau over that that makes the Kilby and genright solutions unworkable even if I ditch the tuffy box. Might try to diy something to hold windows and a small cooler for a drive to Phoenix and Vegas (read as "to a couple levels of hell") next month.

Anyone seen any solutions for racks that clamp to the rollbar? Aside from the egregiously priced bestop solution. I too run the tuffy console, but I also have a tonneau over that that makes the Kilby and genright solutions unworkable even if I ditch the tuffy box. Might try to diy something to hold windows and a small cooler for a drive to Phoenix and Vegas (read as "to a couple levels of hell") next month.
@GoldenEagle
Did you see this that I posted earlier in this thread
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-cargo-basket-storage.8648/
My last version clamps to the sport bars

Reactions: jgaz
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.