TJ Steering Shafts and Bearings: What I Know

It's way too big. I just tried it on the new Crown replacement shaft. Slop isn't the right word. It's just too big. I'm gonna complain to them and try to return it just on principal. Also, paying $10 shipping for it pissed me off.
Can you mic the i.d.

This is the crown replacement shaft for reference. I bought the bearing directly from Synergy Manufacturing. They have already replied to my email asking for pics, so good communication so far.

PXL_20211018_205806074.jpg

PXL_20211018_205906260.jpg

Reactions: PRNDL
Hooke Road TJ Wrangler Body Lifts 1in Steering Shaft Riser Bracket Compatible with Jeep Wrangler 97-06 TJ with 1" Body Lift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SJQVNN9/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I've installed both the M.O.R.E. and Hooke Road riser brackets. The M.O.R.E. version is made in USA, versus the Chinese Hooke version. Quality on the Hooke was close, but not as good as the M.O.R.E. However, it was good for the money though. The only difference I saw was a slight variance of the angle that attaches on the frame side. I had to bend mine a little to get it sitting flush.

Want to see the difference it makes on the steering shaft? Think it doesn't matter if you add one? Hint, it does!

Before
20210327_143714-jpg.jpg

After
20210327_165317-jpg.jpg

Hooke vs stock
20210327_162552-jpg.jpg

I've installed both the M.O.R.E. and Hooke Road riser brackets. The M.O.R.E. version is made in USA, versus the Chinese Hooke version. Quality on the Hooke was close, but not as good as the M.O.R.E. However, it was good for the money though. The only difference I saw was a slight variance of the angle that attaches on the frame side. I had to bend mine a little to get it sitting flush.

Want to see the difference it makes on the steering shaft? Think it doesn't matter if you add one? Hint, it does!

Before
View attachment 284745

After
View attachment 284746

Hooke vs stock

Great for a little piece of mind.

That'll do, thanks.
The shaft is tight into the heim joint?
Not so tight is scratches off the finish, but tight enough there is zero felt play or movement when someone turns the wheel and you hold the shaft. I found this whole setup on summit. The bar is DD and it gives suggestions to same sized universals and heims. The only changes.i had to make is mine actually uses two heim. The other is on the factory ishaft and it needed to be a 3/4 heim.

So to speak for its ability I have the factory ishaft in a heim going down to factory first joint. Then into some DD rod to the other universal you see. Then that is the factory shaft from the gearbox through the heim to said universal. Is sounds complicated, but really it afforded me to run my steering out of the way, how I wanted it, but completely maintain tolerances.

Here is the upper heim

Compress_20211019_194505_5969.jpg

To close the loop, Synergy replied with:

Our bearing goes around the replacement pitman arm nut in our brace kit:
Synergy Jeep TJ/LJ Steering Box Skid with Sector Shaft Brace | SYNERGY MANUFACTURING (synergymfg.com)

So, I've been looking everywhere for a Crown, or Mopar lower for my 06. Can't find either one, and I ended up ordering the Borgeson.
I'm thoroughly convinced that with 200k I'll need to replace that bearing as well.
Did anyone ever find a bearing that worked?
And is there a rebuild kit for that pillow block available, to anyone's knowledge?

So, I've been looking everywhere for a Crown, or Mopar lower for my 06. Can't find either one, and I ended up ordering the Borgeson.
I'm thoroughly convinced that with 200k I'll need to replace that bearing as well.
And is there a rebuild kit for that pillow block available, to anyone's knowledge?
So far we haven’t found a sure bet- but it is out there- Kaman can match it.

Here’s the crown one https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/crown-automotive-lower-power-steering-shaft-52078705/_/R-BKMN-52078705

That Crown shaft is for the early models (1997-1999). Looks like @Ataxium has a 2006 model. Looks like the bearing itself is same though for the later models if that's what you were referring to.
Knock the roll pin out and swap the end shaft. Gives you a good quality piece with new bushing for half the price. I made a post earlier in the thread about it.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Knock the roll pin out and swap the end shaft. Gives you a good quality piece with new bushing for half the price. I made a post earlier in the thread about it.
So the. Issue I've run into is I had such bad death wobble that the input shaft on my steering box was chewed to absolute hell, and was giving me a lot of slop. Meaning that the connecting shaft you're referring to swapping over is equally destroyed. I'm mainly replacing the shaft for this reason.
I saw it mentioned that a bearing from a liberty should fit, what year range would I be looking for on that?

I know absolute worst case scenario I could buy the early model crown shaft and just take the pillow block/ bearing off of that, but then I'm into this shaft for $600 and left with a piece I can't use.
Unless someone wants to buy the shaft alone off me. Lol

Reactions: Chasitek