TJ tailgate options

TheHurtLocker

Hey I'm new here and working on my build thread when I have time.
I have a 2002 tj and I'm replacing everything rusty and well my tailgate is toast so my options are a oem one or aluminum drop down tailgate.
I'm just looking for everyones thoughts on both and help me go one direction or another

Do you have a separate tire carrier bumper? The aluminum ones generally do not accommodate the stock tire carrier.

Personally I like the idea of a drop down tailgate, but I would probably convert the OEM one as opposed to using an aftermarket tailgate.

It seems like there are a few people who don’t like having to reach over a drop down, which makes sense. If you don’t remove the back seat, I imagine that becomes a non-issue

Do you have a separate tire carrier bumper? The aluminum ones generally do not accommodate the stock tire carrier.

Personally I like the idea of a drop down tailgate, but I would probably convert the OEM one as opposed to using an aftermarket tailgate.

It seems like there are a few people who don’t like having to reach over a drop down, which makes sense. If you don’t remove the back seat, I imagine that becomes a non-issue
I carry my spare on the inside. And that's just a fab tub before anyone asks lol

2AD1F756-15D4-4B94-8585-281313E4DEBC.jpeg

The old CJ tailgates look good since they have the raised letters. If you do a drop down though you force yourself to a tire carrier. Meaning more weight, something that hangs off the back probably to far, and now an aftermarket bumper to help too. Stick with the factory door.

I have an aluminum tailgate... It doesn't fit right, it's a bear to reach over, but it does make a nice seat.

I do wish drop down gates were more practical than they are.
20181229_121720.jpg

The need to get rid of my old swing out carrier and put the spare back on the tub quickly overshadowed any romantic ideas I had about ever having a CJ7 tailgate on mine.

I put my finger through mine so I figure while it's down with frame repairs and body work I'll fix that also.
I'm going to fill the holes for the spare tire and bedline it
I carry my spare inside which I posted above.
I was thinking of mounting a rotopax on the tailgate 🤔

View attachment 119224

The need to get rid of my old swing out carrier and put the spare back on the tub quickly overshadowed any romantic ideas I had about ever having a CJ7 tailgate on mine.
I've seen a bunch of them. I've yet to see one that solved the open it from the outside with the full soft top or hard top on. That could not possibly be any more inconvenient unless it just didn't open at all.

Reactions: jjvw
I've seen a bunch of them. I've yet to see one that solved the open it from the outside with the full soft top or hard top on. That could not possibly be any more inconvenient unless it just didn't open at all.

Jeff Scherb split one open and installed a CJ7 hardtop T handle on the outside with spring catches inside to grab the tub. It looks good, but it is a lot of work. And it still doesn't solve the problem of an exterior mounted spare tire.

View attachment 119224

Money is usually the answer, however I will still ask. Why not skin the CJ tailgate you do have and graft the embossed Jeep skin, "into," your OEM tailgate?

Or better yet, just convert it...
Jeep CJ:TJ Tailgate.jpg

Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Money is usually the answer, however I will still ask. Why not skin the CJ tailgate you do have and graft the embossed Jeep skin, "into," your OEM tailgate?

Or better yet, just convert it...View attachment 119262

Best of both worlds.

Very nice! The stamped Jeep logo is all we really want. It would be a shame to cover that up with an Exogate. :)

Reactions: Fouledplugs and JMT
I hope their is a write up on how this was done. That’s exactly what I’m wanting.

Jeff Scherb also did something similar with a stamped logo swing out door. The center section of a CJ7 gate was reduced in size a bit and grafted into a TJ door. I recall it being about as easy as body work. :)

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I guess my last question is should I paint it or raptor line it since I'm doing the interior also
Depends on your budget. Any decent body shop can color match and paint a new gate, probably cost couple hundred bucks for prep and paint and booth time. If you are going to raptor line the inside panel with the tub I'd still have some paint put on first to seal the metal. Be sure to have the inside core of the tailgate coated first as well (there are hoses with brass diffuser tips that can coat the inside).