Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

If anyone is looking for a nice alternative to LEDs and is considering the h4 route, Toyota sells a complete h4 conversion kit directly from the dealer. Part number 81110-60P70. It comes with a very nice harness with weather pack fuse holders and room for a spare fuse within the weather pack. A bag a zip ties, dielectric grease, instructions and an apology letter from Toyota saying they are sorry the crap sealed beams you thought you ordered are being replaced with these brighter h4 conversion beams. All this for the low price of $64 usd shipped to your door. My local dealer had it in stock for $58 but Ihad already ordered from their online site. This is cheaper than the hella ecodes which are typically $80 for just housings. These Koitos housings are suppose to have a better pattern as well.

I just stumbled upon this part number going down an h4 conversion black hole, finding a thread on ih8mud linked here with some nice beam pattern photos. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-head-light-upgrade-led-bulbs.1173612/page-3

Daniel Stern also sells these koito housings on his site for $90 and claims he likes pattern as much as Cibies e ecodes which are more expensive and harder to find. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

I can't believe you get all this for the price and quality.

I will try and post some light pattern photos tonight. Seams like a nice cheap alternative to led lights. I like the original look of the h4s vs the LEDs personally on the TJ. I currently have hella ecodes but have never been satisfied with the beam pattern though they are better than stock. I just wanted to pass what seems like a nice conversion kit, along to others. View attachment 264247View attachment 264248View attachment 264249

View attachment 264250

View attachment 264252

View attachment 264253

View attachment 264254

View attachment 264255

View attachment 264256
I'm planning my revised accessory wiring in preparation for installing my winch tomorrow. Can you confirm that the kit includes 2 relays, but only needs a single +12v lead to the battery?

Thanks!

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Local dealer (Corvallis, Oregon) wanted $80, so I ordered a set from the dealer link that was posted in Atlanta.

I hate the knock of truck-lites in my Unlimited (I have JW Evo 2 lights in my TJ, and they are awesome).

I'm planning my revised accessory wiring in preparation for installing my winch tomorrow. Can you confirm that the kit includes 2 relays, but only needs a single +12v lead to the battery?

Thanks!
Nice!

Yeah one positive lead and one ground lead to run to the battery and 2 relays and 2 20amp fuses Which is nice because most budget harnesses don't run a ground from each h4 socket back to the battery. They typically just run a short chassis ground.

The picture of the instructions on the first page has an accurate diagram of the harness if you need specifics.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadbeat son
Do you have any photos of the pattern?
I do not. My photography skills are lacking as you'll see. :LOL:
You would also have to modify or remove the dust boot for the light to run the LED lights correct?
I didn't have to modify the Cibie dust boot. It fit right over the Beamtech bulbs that I used.
view.jpg

That is why I said in the first sentence and the title of the thread that they are a nice alternative to LED headlights. Also the several photos show h4 bulbs and I mentioned h4 bulbs a few times. I tried a set of trucklite led's in this jeep that I borrowed from a friend and I just didn't like the look though the light output was very nice. I am not a fan of the super bright white light LED's emit.
Great find, thanks for sharing!

So I ordered some Beamtech h4 LED bulbs from Amazon Warehouse for sale of trying them out. After trying them out it the low beam pattern is ok but the high beam is pretty terrible. The range seems lower and the pattern seems scattered. I put the hella 100w/80w bulbs back in and will be returning the beamtech bulbs.

Pattern comparison photos below. First photo is beamtech led bulb on low. Second photo is high beam. Third photo is a hella 100w/80w h4 bulb on low, fourth photo is on high. You can see how much further the 100w h4 bulb shines. There is no pattern scatter. If you like the white light of the LED I would try a white h4 bulb.

20210713_212639.jpg

20210713_212646.jpg

20210713_220032.jpg

20210713_220035.jpg

If you are set on running an LED bulb they do fit in the housing and with the dust boot. Photos of the LED bulb install attached. Again the pattern sucks IMO so I will be sending the LED bulbs back.

20210713_204955.jpg

20210713_205014.jpg

20210713_204543.jpg

20210713_204530.jpg

That's about what I experienced as well - but although the high beam is a bit "splatty", the low is so much better than standard Halogens. Your pix show a very slight betterment from Halogen bulbs that are 2X stock wattage. I'll take the LEDs myself.

That's about what I experienced as well - but although the high beam is a bit "splatty", the low is so much better than standard Halogens. Your pix show a very slight betterment from Halogen bulbs that are 2X stock wattage. I'll take the LEDs myself.
The LED was more of a color difference. Very minimal gain IMO on low beam if any and really bad on high. I tested the pattern width by turning on my hella 500 fogs as they typically cast a bit wider on low beam. They extended past the outer edges of both the LED and the halogen bulbs.

The low beam is more for around and in town. For my needs a better, wider high beam is more desirable, though I preferred the low and high beam on the halogen.

Good find! Thank you

will replace my LED’s with these.
Thanks.

I am not saying these are better than full LED housings like jw speaker or some amazon knock offs. Some LED housings have much better performance at a lower wattage. The trucklites I tried were better but I didn't like the look or whiter light.

The LED was more of a color difference. Very minimal gain IMO on low beam if any and really bad on high. I tested the pattern width by turning on my hella 500 fogs as they typically cast a bit wider on low beam. They extended past the outer edges of both the LED and the halogen bulbs.
And there ya go. Seems I'm in the minority, but I really like the blue-white LED lite color. Just seems so very much sharper to me. *shrug*

And there ya go. Seems I'm in the minority, but I really like the blue-white LED lite color. Just seems so very much sharper to me. *shrug*
I don't think you are a minority with the color. A lot people prefer and most new cars have them. I am just some random jeep guy in the internet who didn't. I happened to find a good deal and thought I would share it with some people on ther internet. 😎

I don't think you are a minority with the color. A lot people prefer and most new cars have them. I am just some random jeep guy in the internet who didn't. I happened to find a good deal and thought I would share it with some people on ther internet. 😎
There are quite a few folks here who specifically do NOT like the white color - but I'm not one of them! ;)

Funny how nobody is happy with factory lights, whether it's a TJ, JK, JL, JT, etc. I went from the crappy stock lights, to a set of free JK (H13) lights. I did have to spend $10 on H13 adapters, but the appearance and function are greatly improved.

agh3bfq-jpg.jpg

Stock

9mnqk2c-jpg.jpg

JK

g9brn0k-jpg.jpg