Turbo vs engine swap

I keep swearing I'm going to do a Mercedes OM606 Diesel swap and reliably make 300HP, especially considering the cost of a quality Turbo kit and the fact that my 300,000 mile 4.0 will likely not take kindly to boost shoved down it's throat.

- all that being said, I have the Texas problem that I haven't read up on and if we're being honest with ourself the cash for either is a ways out.

I keep swearing I'm going to do a Mercedes OM606 Diesel swap and reliably make 300HP, especially considering the cost of a quality Turbo kit and the fact that my 300,000 mile 4.0 will likely not take kindly to boost shoved down it's throat.

- all that being said, I have the Texas problem that I haven't read up on and if we're being honest with ourself the cash for either is a ways out.

Last thing I wanna smell all day is a diesel. They stink. Lol

Reactions: williambmac
Ryan can do some level of tuning without the AFR data - he did the first few rounds on mine before I installed the AFR gauge. But to get a good performance tune, you need the AFR data as well. It also ensures the new tune is not hurting the engine by creating a lean condition.
What about altitude changes? If you live at 5,000 feet (I do) and you do all of your wheeling at 8,000 to 13,000 feet (I do), should you do your data collecting drives at the higher altitude? That could be a pain.

Very true. The magnum makes a lot of sense, I just can’t get past the fact it is a turd. Hemi or LS offers so much more.

Not totally true. The numbers from Dodge aren't what you truely get.

And as we've talked before for a little more money you can hop up a 5.2 or 5.9.

Fuel injection compensates. It isn't a carburetor,lol

I understand that the ecu and fuel injection compensate. I was wondering if Gollywomper installs a turbo, would it be best to do the tuning at sea level, or wait until he moves to 4500 feet? Or does it not matter at all?

I'm not sure Ryan would want to do a custom forced induction tune remotely, especially on a setup that doesn't have a knock sensor.

Super broad brush strokes here, you are looking at:

-having a custom kit fabbed up or doing it yourself including exhaust that mounts the turbo, intercooler piping, intake piping, intercooler install.
-a turbo
-supporting mods like fueling (certainly injectors and maybe fuel pump) and any drivetrain strengthening you might need (clutch and tranny are possibilities?)
-a way to tune including an aftermarket ECU or tunning the stock PCM (most likely option), a wideband O2 sensor, a way to datalog all that, and somebody to tune it.

Bang vs buck man. For Jezza who can do all this stuff himself for funzzies if he wants, it's a different equation. For you, a Magnum swap seems well within your capabilities and would certainly be "enough" turd or not. If you are concerned about turds, why start with a 4 banger? If you are capable of learning a bunch, fabbing, and figuring things out, a turbo kit on your 4 banger could be cost effective. If you are going to have other people do most of the work, not worth it.

Yes but a LS or Hemi bolt in with those numbers.

What is the cost difference between a magnum V-8 and a Hemi or LS? Again, I agree the newer engines are BETTER than the older magnum but how much HP do you need for your TJ? If I hadn't had so many issues with my 5.2 I would have been happy with the power of it.

How much HP do you need for your TJ?

1673220865582.gif

Last edited:
If I wind up in a non inspection/test area there is a good chance of something with a standalone type setup.
Who knows at this point.

What is the cost difference between a magnum V-8 and a Hemi or LS? Again, I agree the newer engines are BETTER than the older magnum but how much HP do you need for your TJ? If I hadn't had so many issues with my 5.2 I would have been happy with the power of it.

5.3 iron blocks engines are REALLY inexpensive. Like I see them quite a bit for 500 bucks. Sure, it might have 180-200 thousand miles on it, but for low buck, its REALLY tough to beat that.

Reactions: Rickyd