Turbo vs engine swap

No. I am as properly geared as possible. I can do 75 down the freeway with 35s as long as it is flat. A 20-30 percent increase at highway rpm’s would be fantastic. Not sure what a turbo would realistically do.

I’m running 5.38s with 35s and a 42RLE. I installed a used Banks turbo a few days ago.

Even with a boost leak, I’ve noticed a few things. (1) The turbo kicks in and makes hill climbs fun now. (2) The turbo kicks in when I’m in OD and locked up which helps remove the flat spot. (3) You get up to target speed noticeably sooner if u are 1/2 or more on the throttle.

Hopefully these items improve even more once I find the other boost leak (detection kit arrives today).

I’m running 5.38s with 35s and a 42RLE. I installed a used Banks turbo a few days ago.

Even with a boost leak, I’ve noticed a few things. (1) The turbo kicks in and makes hill climbs fun now. (2) The turbo kicks in when I’m in OD and locked up which helps remove the flat spot. (3) You get up to target speed noticeably sooner if u are 1/2 or more on the throttle.

Hopefully these items improve even more once I find the other boost leak (detection kit arrives today).

What did you do for tuning?

Really - In the free state of Texas? That's crazy.

Ha, the freedom in Texas is an illusion. Some things are like the wild west and other things are overly regulated. In the emissions areas you have to have a vin that matches the PCM and the chassis. Add that to a visual inspection it makes swaps almost impossible to do legally. A few years back they busted down on shops and vehicle owners for cheating the system. They were handing out felonies like birthday cards.

Ha, the freedom in Texas is an illusion. Some things are like the wild west and other things are overly regulated. In the emissions areas you have to have a vin that matches the PCM and the chassis. Add that to a visual inspection it makes swaps almost impossible to do legally. A few years back they busted down on shops and vehicle owners for cheating the system. They were handing out felonies like birthday cards.

Can you bring in a TJ that was already swapped and registered in another state? I can think of a member in Texas with an LS in his Jeep.

Can you bring in a TJ that was already swapped and registered in another state? I can think of a member in Texas with an LS in his Jeep.

There are non-emissions areas mostly rural, and currently anything over 24 years is exempt. That may change now that OBD2 vehicles are hitting that age. There are also people who "buy" stickers. Not worth it to me as they can come down on you extremely hard for that. There was a dude in Arlington not far from me that got 15 months in club fed for falsifying emissions. Probably also the reason Cummins will not sell the R2.8 to Texas residents.

There are non-emissions areas mostly rural, and currently anything over 24 years is exempt. That may change now that OBD2 vehicles are hitting that age. There are also people who "buy" stickers. Not worth it to me as they can come down on you extremely hard for that. There was a dude in Arlington not far from me that got 15 months in club fed for falsifying emissions. Probably also the reason Cummins will not sell the R2.8 to Texas residents.

That’s disappointing

You really were going to swap in a crossfire 350?
No criticized , just seems somewhat odd.

No, sorry I should have been more specific the 5.3 Ecotec 3 engine. I didn't realize GM reused the code.

No, sorry I should have been more specific the 5.3 Ecotec 3 engine. I didn't realize GM reused the code.

I didn't know the RPO was reused, makes a lot of more sense now! I couldn't see all that work for 205 h.p.
Thanks Jezza!

Any way you slice it you have to do a trans swap so in a way that lends itself towards doing the engine as well. I am in the same quandary as well. Most likely I will do an AX-15 since mine is already a manual if I ever get to that point.

Any way you slice it you have to do a trans swap so in a way that lends itself towards doing the engine as well. I am in the same quandary as well. Most likely I will do an AX-15 since mine is already a manual if I ever get to that point.
Very true. The magnum makes a lot of sense, I just can’t get past the fact it is a turd. Hemi or LS offers so much more.