Turbo vs engine swap

A lot of that OEM stuff is outdated technology. The newer turbos have better wheel and housing designs that make them spool quicker and vastly more efficient. Tuning can be done with HP Tuners. All you need is an interface, 2 BAR MAP sensor and a set of larger injectors.

A lot of that OEM stuff is outdated technology. The newer turbos have better wheel and housing designs that make them spool quicker and vastly more efficient. Tuning can be done with HP Tuners. All you need is an interface, 2 BAR MAP sensor and a set of larger injectors.

Ryan can do the tuning through the interface?
Pardon the questions, I have zero experience at all with this stuff.

Seems to be a lot of different recommendations on injectors for the 2.5/turbo.

And a CARB sticker!

Ryan can do the tuning through the interface?
Pardon the questions, I have zero experience at all with this stuff.

High level: Using HP Tuners (one option) plugged into your ODB2 port, you copy your current tune from your ecu and simply email it to Ryan. For him to know what changes to make to the tune, you use HP Tuners to data log the engine during a drive. You email the data log to Ryan as well. He analyses the log, makes his changes, emails you the new tune, and you upload it to your ecu using HP Tuners. Pull another data log, repeat.

The rub is that to do a good performance tune Ryan also needs to see AFR data, which requires an AFR guage (which is how HP Tuners gets the data) and a wide band o2 sensor.

It’s pretty cool how it all works.

Last edited:
High level: Using HP Tuners (one option), you copy your current tune from your ecu and simply email it to Ryan. For him to know what changes to make to the tune, you use HP Tuners to data log the engine during a drive. You email the data log to Ryan as well. He analyses the log, makes his changes, emails you the new tune, and you load it to your ecu using HP Tuners. Pull another data log, repeat.

The rub is that to do a good performance tune Ryan also needs to see AFR data, which requires an AFR guage (which is how HP Tuners gets the data) and a wide band o2 sensor.

It’s pretty cool how it all works.

Is there a port on the interface for the AFR gauge? All this info can be shown real time via Bluetooth as well?

Is this a matter of Dyno time and Ryan remote tuning? Or can a conservative tune be plugged in?

Seeing as its a one off situation i doubt he has a canned tune for you.

I suggest you pencil out prices and total weight for this turbo swap (including getting rid of the ax5) as much as you can. And the hp lvl you are buying with it.

then do the same with an ls1 or other aluminum block v8 swap in stock,reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles form.

This is a fun project.but will likely weigh similar and be 100 or more hp less.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Is there a port on the interface for the AFR gauge? All this info can be shown real time via Bluetooth as well?

You replied while I was clarifying my post - but I was not fast enough on the trigger. :)

HP Tuners does have Bluetooth capability - but only for data logging. To download or upload a tune, you need to have your laptop plugged directly into the ODB2 connector (via USB) and running HP Tuners' VCM Editor. They do this so there is no chance the interface fails during the upload/download, which can wreak havoc on the ecu.

The TJ has no internal mechanism to handle AFR data. You install a standalone AFR gauge connected directly to a wide band O2 sensor which you install in the exhaust. HP Tuners works with a few AFR gauges, but you have to get one that does. You then connect the HP Tuners ODB2 connector to the AFR gauge, map the AFR data from the gauge to the HP Tuners data logger (Called VCM Scanner), and off you go.

Ryan can do some level of tuning without the AFR data - he did the first few rounds on mine before I installed the AFR gauge. But to get a good performance tune, you need the AFR data as well. It also ensures the new tune is not hurting the engine by creating a lean condition.

Last edited:
Seeing as its a one off situation i doubt he has a canned tune for you.

I suggest you pencil out prices and total weight for this turbo swap (including getting rid of the ax5) as much as you can. And the hp lvl you are buying with it.

then do the same with an ls1 or other aluminum block v8 swap in stock,reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles form.

This is a fun project.but will likely weigh similar and be 100 or more hp less.

💯 agree. The magnum swap actually makes the most practical sense.
A low boosted 2.5 would not be a high strung piston blowing machine. 5-7psi could be done very reliably I think.

Something to consider with v8 swaps is the noise.you just can't fit a large pickup truck muffler under a tj to make it factory quiet.all the v8 swap jeeps I've seen sound like hot rods.which is cool depending on use.

I use my jeep for hunting occasionally so i went with a stroker 6 and factory exhaust.might be silly but sound lvl was the deciding factor for me.its still a louder than a 4.0l but livable in 4lo and minimal throttle. I don't have 2 year smog intervals in my CA county yet but smog was another reason i went with an upgrade the smog guy couldn't see.