Updating (backdating?) the TJ grille

What about using CJ buckets and chrome rings? that would really add something to the appeal for some. Tim
You mean ones like these on the CJ grille on my LJ?

LJ-8Final6_zps15d82966.jpg

That's possible, but it would require a new mold master and a new mold. The reason is that the face of the TJ grille is curved forward and the face of the CJ grille is flat with a slight recess. What I'd do is cut out the forward curve where the headlights mount and replace it with a flat section so the CJ parts could mount. It is possible to do it.

I have thought about doing a more backdated TJ grille; a while back I did this design study to see how an MB grille design would have to change in order to look right on the TJ.

The outline is the TJ grille size and shape and left to right - the factory MB grille, then the factory MB grille reduced in height to fit the TJ grille height and finally adjustment of the sides where the fenders bolt up.

TJMBDesignStudy1_zpsl9zgukj9.jpg

The end result would be something like this:

TJMBDesignStudy1a_zps45lvtz1d.jpg

I have no plans to do a TJ/MB grille right now, but maybe I'll do it sometime in the future.

• Love
Reactions: Tob and reddvltj
When the grille comes out of the mold, it needs to be trimmed. In the last photo in the previous post you can see how the rough fiberglass overlaps all the edges. These photos show the same grille after it's been popped out of the mold and trimmed.

Grille1Trimmed1_zpsaxk03f3v.jpg

Grille1Trimmed2_zpskdx2tfhy.jpg

As I've said before, the grille is designed as an overlay in the same way the factory chrome grille overlay mounts on the factory grille. No need to reproduce the entire core support for mounting the radiator if all that's really needed is a new face over the factory grille.

In this next series of photos, the new fiberglass overlay is being test fit on a factory grille/core support. Before fitting, the slots need to be removed from the factory grille. That's pretty simple operation accomplished with a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw. Also if turn signals are to be installed (as they are with this grille), clearance holes need to be cut in the front of the factory grille. That's most easily done with a hole saw.

Grille1Installed1_zpsl5w0gsdi.jpg

Grille1Installed2_zpsondh1zvb.jpg

Grille1Installed3_zpsjdwj2bwr.jpg

A comparison to a stock TJ grille that has a factory chrome overlay:

Grille1InstalledCompare_zpsy8qcgffe.jpg

Next up: final fitting and bonding it to the the factory shell.

Can you bag the mold and reduce your materials to keep the weight down and increase the strength at the same time?

You mean ones like these on the CJ grille on my LJ?

View attachment 140668

That's possible, but it would require a new mold master and a new mold. The reason is that the face of the TJ grille is curved forward and the face of the CJ grille is flat with a slight recess. What I'd do is cut out the forward curve where the headlights mount and replace it with a flat section so the CJ parts could mount. It is possible to do it.

I have thought about doing a more backdated TJ grille; a while back I did this design study to see how an MB grille design would have to change in order to look right on the TJ.

The outline is the TJ grille size and shape and left to right - the factory MB grille, then the factory MB grille reduced in height to fit the TJ grille height and finally adjustment of the sides where the fenders bolt up.

View attachment 140669

The end result would be something like this:

View attachment 140670

I have no plans to do a TJ/MB grille right now, but maybe I'll do it sometime in the future.
That would look amazing with the MB style fenders!!!

Doing some preliminary finishing work, I shot the grille with primer.

Primer1_zpshm6r8ieh.jpg

And in these photos it's being bonded to a factory grille shell using automotive urethane adhesive:

GrilleBonded_zps98x27ubz.jpg

GrilleBonded2_zpst3v9smfk.jpg

The urethane adhesive sets in a few hours but since I'm not in a hurry it can cure overnight.

The installation, fitting and bonding can be done without removing the factory grille from the Jeep, but it's easier to work with when it's off the Jeep and on the workbench. An easy way to do this conversion is to pick up a used grille on Craigslist, install the new overlay on it and then swap the completed assembly onto the Jeep, saving (or selling) the factory grille that came off the Jeep. The factory grille I'm using for this project I found on Craigslist for about $50 because it was damaged. No problem though, the damage is covered by the new overlay ;).

Can you bag the mold and reduce your materials to keep the weight down and increase the strength at the same time?
I doubt bagging would reduce weight or materials because I designed the layup plan for this part with varying area thicknesses depending on the specific area of the part and the strength requirements of that area, so materials usage is fairly minimum already, but bagging could reduce the potential of trapped air in the layup and that does contribute to strength. As it is though, this part as molded is plenty strong enough for its intended use.

Could this be done using a chop gun like they use for boat hulls,🤔 or does the grill need to be hand layed🧐? Just curious as to the ability of a company to be able to produce enough to supply the industry.👍

Could this be done using a chop gun like they use for boat hulls,🤔 or does the grill need to be hand layed🧐? Just curious as to the ability of a company to be able to produce enough to supply the industry.👍
Yes, although some care would be required. Because this is an overlay, in order to fit properly the area across the top and above the slots can't be too thick while for strength the slots are best made a bit thicker. An experienced chopper gun user can do this with no problem.

Reactions: reddvltj