Needed 3 inches, I tried 2 inches but had to add more. The front tucks up into the fender real nice without rubbing now.
@bobthetjand I found that you need 2.5 just to clear the shocks so 3" isn't bad. We both run the same 3.5 ranchos from what I can tell.

Reactions: Steven Preyer
So when I first got my Jeep and wanted to go on some Jeep Club runs one of the must have requirements was a CB Radio. Since I didn't have a lot of time before the first run and I was new to the Jeep scene I ordered a Cobra HH50WXST from Amazon so I was allowed to do the run. What I quickly found out and have been battling ever since is that this handheld CB and probably every handheld CB is terrible and not worth purchasing.

I finally got around to installing a hard mount CB Radio. Funny thing is there is a big push by my Jeep Clubs to go Ham Radio and getting licensed. Because of this trend towards Ham Radio I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a CB setup. I decided to go Uniden since I hated my Cobra Handheld. My main goal was to keep it simple and keep it small. I decided to go with the very small Uniden Pro505xl. I ordered the Teraflex mount, 4' Firestick, 18' of coax cable, and a fuse jumper cable for power.

I know there are better ways to install a CB Radio but this was a quick install that works well. I debated drawing power straight from the battery but knew the fuse panel would work. I probably should have ordered 12' of coax instead of 18' so I didn't have so much left over. I ran the coax under the carpeting and then across and under the passenger seat. I might want to go with the 12' coax and run it through the roll bar padding if I ever care enough in the future. I did file the holes on the Teraflex mount to get a better ground since the bracket comes powdercoated. My SWR reading was 1.5 on channel 1 and 1.2 on channel 40 so I just left it and didn't make any adjustments on the Firestick. Ultimately the only time the CB Radio gets used is on Jeep runs when the other jeeps are close by.

So here are pics of my install:

Last edited:
So when I first got my Jeep and wanted to go on some Jeep Club runs one of the must have requirements was a CB Radio. Since I didn't have a lot of time before the first run and I was new to the Jeep scene I ordered a Cobra HH50WXST from Amazon so I was allowed to do the run. What I quickly found out and have been battling ever since is that this handheld CB and probably every handheld CB is terrible and not worth purchasing.

I finally got around to installing a hard mount CB Radio. Funny thing is there is a big push by my Jeep Clubs to go Ham Radio and getting licensed. Because of this trend towards Ham Radio I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a CB setup. I decided to go Uniden since I hated my Cobra Handheld. My main goal was to keep it simple and keep it small. I decided to go with the very small Uniden Pro505xl. I ordered the Teraflex mount, 4' Firestick, 18' of coax cable, and a fuse jumper cable for power.

I know there are better ways to install a CB Radio but this was a quick install that works well. I debated drawing power straight from the battery but knew the fuse panel would work. I probably should have ordered 12' of coax instead of 18' so I didn't have so much left over. I ran the coax under the carpeting and then across and under the passenger seat. I might want to go with the 12' coax and run it through the roll bar padding if I ever care enough in the future. I did file the holes on the Teraflex mount to get a better ground since the bracket comes powdercoated. My SWR reading was 1.5 on channel 1 and 1.2 on channel 40 so I just left it and didn't make any adjustments on the Firestick. Ultimately the only time the CB Radio gets used is on Jeep runs when the other jeeps are close by.

So here are pics of my install:

View attachment 83404

View attachment 83405

View attachment 83406

View attachment 83408

View attachment 83409

View attachment 83410

View attachment 83411
That is exactly where I put my small external speaker for by Cobra 75 WX ST CB. Problem is I never thought about the fold and tumble passenger seat hitting it. It does. I dont have my back seat in but still tumble the seat forward when the top is on to access cargo. I'm thinking I need to move it before it snaps off.

Reactions: Steven Preyer
That is exactly where I put my small external speaker for by Cobra 75 WX ST CB. Problem is I never thought about the fold and tumble passenger seat hitting it. It does. I dont have my back seat in but still tumble the seat forward when the top is on to access cargo. I'm thinking I need to move it before it snaps off.View attachment 83414

So yes the fold and tumble feature of the passenger seat does hit my radio which I didn't think about when installing it. I have a 6 y.o. daughter who uses the backseat every time we go out. I got lucky however that the seat just bumps the bottom side of the Radio and doesn't seem like it will cause a problem. The Radio is slim and angled up so the fold and tumble feature still works. I see that the speaker would be a bigger problem.

So in August I bought my first jeep ever. Our family had been looking at getting a tow vehicle for our Motorhome for some time but couldn't make up our mind. On a trip out to Sedona and then the Grand Canyon we decided to do the Pink Jeep Tour on Broken Arrow trail and my 6 year old daughter was amazed. We did a lot of Fun things on this vacation but when it was all done we all agreed the Jeep Tour was our favorite part. Long story short 3 weeks later we owned a jeep.

I originally set out looking for a YJ thinking I liked the look and wanted to keep my budget low. It was only by lucky circumstance that I come across a local family selling a 2006 Rubicon for cheap . They were the second owner and kept it in their garage. When viewing the jeep for the first time it was very obvious this jeep had never seen dirt in its life. The owners didn't even know what lockers were. They clearly didn't know what a gem they had in their possession. I locked up the deal the first day on the market knowing it wouldn't last a week.

The best part of the deal for me was that the jeep was 100% stock which meant I could build this up the way I wanted. It has high mileage but the engine purrs and absolutely no signs of any oil leak. Even the clutch feels like butter. So 6 months now into ownership and the jeep is just so awesome. It runs like a dream and steering is solid and tight. I've spent the last 6 months wheeling it on weekends in stock forum and this jeep is so capable. I connected with 2 local clubs close to me (San Diego Jeep Club) and (Temecula Jeep and Off-Roaders) and find myself on runs frankly I don't think I should be doing and every time the jeep just does everything I ask it to do. Because of these runs I'm doing more frequently I got the itch to upgrade. I just completed a suspension lift with tires. I'll post a before and after.

View attachment 77877

I have tried to photo document everything along the way and have spent endless amount of hours researching every move I've made. My goal will be to share the details and photos of everything I did and why I did them. This is my first posting so I hope I do this right!!! Here is the most recent picture, just completed the suspension lift yesterday.

View attachment 77878
Question for you. Are those 33” tires? I’ve got the exact Jeep except with a hard top And 31” tires. Did you upgrade the spare tire swing out system? What type of tires did you go with? Thanks