What did you do to your TJ today?

Would you mind sharing some info on this?

Would you mind sharing some info on this?
Sure. My roll bar covers and soundbar were faded almost to a purple look from 20 years of sun. Several others on this board have recommended painting them, so I decided I would give it a try.

I removed the covers from all of the roll bars except the ones over the front doors. (These would require a torx wrench with a hole in the middle of it that I don't have.) You have to remove the top anchor point of the seatbelts to get the covers off.

I also removed the sound bar. It is 4 torx screws and a plug, so pretty simple.

I laid them out flat on plastic drop cloth's in my driveway and painted them with DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric paint. I let them dry for about 30 minutes and gave them a second coat.

For the bar covers over the front doors, I used the plastic drop cloth to cover everything but the bars, and gave them two coats as well. I put it all back together, and it looks much better than it did. There is a paint smell once I put the top back on, but I'm confident that will go away in a few days.

I purchased the paint at Advance Auto Parts. I had to go back for a second can, so you may want to start with two.
Vinyl Paint.jpg
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Finally got around to swapping out the rubber doughnuts on the valve cover for the crankcase vents, and the rubber doughnut seals for the windshield washer pumps on the washer reservoir.
Had to take the steel bracket of the reservoir and paint it since it was rusted.

Two minor tasks off one huge list of things to do!

Replaced my soft top today. The sierra offroad one, looks good and was a huge upgrade to my old torn one, couldn’t even see out the windows.

Also replaced my oil pressure sensor with A mopar one. My oil pressure kept going to 0 while idling and got annoyed by the check gauge buzz. now my oil pressure is close to 60 while at 2k rpms, little high compared to what it was but still fine I guess.

While I was at it I fixed (knock on wood) my P0441 code. Charcoal was sprinkling out of the canister when i removed it. There was a bunch in the hose that goes to the solenoid too. Replaced the canister with a VC120 one from autozone, its a little taller than the stock one but it fits. Then just replaced the solenoid with a mopar one. No codes so far

5FBF3A1F-7B20-4A06-B921-B59CB6ECF9AE.jpeg

Sure. My roll bar covers and soundbar were faded almost to a purple look from 20 years of sun. Several others on this board have recommended painting them, so I decided I would give it a try.

I removed the covers from all of the roll bars except the ones over the front doors. (These would require a torx wrench with a hole in the middle of it that I don't have.) You have to remove the top anchor point of the seatbelts to get the covers off.

I laid them out flat on plastic drop cloth's in my driveway and painted them with DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric paint. I let them dry for about 30 minutes and gave them a second coat.

For the bar covers over the front doors, I used the plastic drop cloth to cover everything but the bars, and gave them two coats as well. I put it all back together, and it looks much better than it did. There is a paint smell once I put the top back on, but I'm confident that will go away in a few days.

I purchased the paint at Advance Auto Parts. I had to go back for a second can, so you may want to start with two.
View attachment 244906
I’ll be darned, learn something new every day 😂. I probably would have just purchased new covers ha. Looks good!

Just manage to get around to cutting the hole in the garage ceiling for the hoist. Was planning on rewiring the controller to the longer cable afterwards but I found out I don't have the right size female quick disconnect terminals on hand. Off to the hardware store tomorrow!

Took the flares off to do some cleaning and rustproofing of the nutserts. Tomorrow or the next day I will lift the body off the frame slightly to get the factory rubicon rocker guards off and do the same thing. With the step/sliders the PO put on the factory rocker guards will not quite slide out and they hit the steps. Lifting the body somewhat should give room. Its going to be raining for a couple of days so I have the right timing figured out.

My truck fits nicely under the hardtop on the new hoist.

IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

This mod is coming up to the top of my list fairly quickly now...
I went with the advance adapters. It’s not cable but moves and simplified the linkage. I moved it into 4WD exactly twice during my ownership so a face acting linkage wasn’t super important and I could better spend the money elsewhere.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Finally got around to swapping out the rubber doughnuts on the valve cover for the crankcase vents, and the rubber doughnut seals for the windshield washer pumps on the washer reservoir.
Had to take the steel bracket of the reservoir and paint it since it was rusted.

Two minor tasks off one huge list of things to do!
Awesome. I hope you didn’t break the tube like I did.

View attachment 244906
Did you wash them first?

Awesome. I hope you didn’t break the tube like I did.
No. I cut back the flange of the rubber doughnut about half way around so I could cock it back enough where the flange was missing to get a packing hook underneath it and pop the whole thing out.

After that, it was a breeze to put the new one in.

Finished the shocks. Ranchos all around. Also finally got the downstream O2 sensor swapped. Now both are the the correct ones.
Fixed the check strap bracket on drivers door. One of the PO’s had stripped both screw holes so I tapped them and put a little bigger one in. Now the door doesn’t slam into the fender.
Next week we will change the differential oil front and back. May even get the heater core flushed.

C93D891B-4886-436A-8D27-47CFC2FE27A1.jpeg

A6F9D268-1374-4D4F-A7CC-3CE31C1ECC6B.jpeg

179439EC-DD14-4C11-9BD8-1EBA4F94ED87.jpeg

DD98CCA7-DDA4-4020-9822-7A2443C8DDCD.jpeg

My driver side lock linkage is not as "correct" as the passenger side is. The passenger side pretty much goes click click click whenever you flip the lock lever on the inside forward or backwards. The driver side, I "got working" not long after buying the heap, but it is more mush mush muuush when operating the lock lever. It is functional but has caused me injury 2 or 3 times now. When attempting to lock the door when getting out, I typically use my left thumb and rock the lever forward. Occasionally it takes more effort than it should and my thumb, while rocking and pushing the rocker lever forward and in, jambs the front part of the lever opening up in and under my thumbnail. Yes. It feels just like you just now thought it would feel like. This past week, as that part of the door handle broke the bond between my thumbnail and nail bed, I decided it was time to make a change, at least until the next time I have the door apart and can maybe rectify the real issue. Today, I took a Dremel and a sanding drum and clearanced the plastic away, so my thumb would hopefully never endure that pain again from this particular issue on this Jeep.
20210418_182856.jpg

Also, tonight I attended a Celebration of Life service for my boss whose ex-wife and 3 girls were in a wreck last Monday and they lost one of the daughters. Great turnout, etc. When leaving afterward, this was on the hood of my Jeep:
20210418_210231.jpg

It had a note with the name of the family that had left it, and a quick Google search when I got home said it is apparently a thing with jeep people, though I suspect it may be more newer model year peeps doing the Ducking. Cool though and it brightened my mood a bit from the reality we've had to deal with this past week.

Last edited: