What did you do to your TJ today?

I parked mine under the patio because of possible hail. Just had to move my wife's plants temporarily of course.
a782d18a24dabcc79437db5810648bad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kyle_W and Chris
It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo but is one of those caps longer that the other? If so that makes putting the doors back on a lot easier as you don't have both pins hit their corresponding hinge hole at the same time. I have a set of doors that have the threaded section of the pin cut off of the bottom hinge. The long top pin goes in first and the bottom pin follows ... easy!
both the same length just took the photo at a silly angle

Nice! Those look like a full 2", mine from RE advertised 2" but were really 1.75". I wasn't so happy about that. I guess it doesn't matter since I'm going to replace with OME springs anyway!

These were listed for 2-3" lift, and when I pulled my old stock shocks and compared them side by side at full extension, the Ranchos were three inches longer. The TJ rode just fine before, but I was surprised just how weak the fronts were after pulling them.

Ordered it Rancho 5000x shocks for all four corners and a new KYB steering stabilizer. All the oil is one the outside of my stabilizer and it still has the Pro Comp shocks that ride like a brick shithouse from the original lift. I'm really hoping for a nicer ride with the new shocks. I know @Jerry Bransford speaks pretty highly of them so I'm excited. Plus I should get $50 back on them from the Rancho rebate they have going on right now.

Ordered it Rancho 5000x shocks for all four corners and a new KYB steering stabilizer. All the oil is one the outside of my stabilizer and it still has the Pro Comp shocks that ride like a brick shithouse from the original lift. I'm really hoping for a nicer ride with the new shocks. I know @Jerry Bransford speaks pretty highly of them so I'm excited. Plus I should get $50 back on them from the Rancho rebate they have going on right now.

The rubber boots on the Ranchos fit a little tight on the body of the shocks, so I wiped some antiseize on there to help position them before zip tying the bottom. I fully extended them before zip tying, and then installed them.

The rear shock top bar pin is a pain to fit the boots over, but if you take some time one rib at a time you can do it.
Or you can remove the bar pin by pressing it out and reinstalling after the boot is on. Some people install a bar pin eliminator on the rear, but I didn't. Some may choose to leave the boot off, but I used mine. They can always be cut off later if they get torn or trap water and mud.

From what I've read, the rear shock top bolts have captive nuts that aren't easily accessible and you want to avoid breaking them if possible. Mine came out fine and used anti-seize on reinstalling. Maybe the bar pin eliminator would "eliminate" that concern in the future, especially over rust concerns?

Here is a video link on a guy installing them on an XJ :

I'm not sure if I'm going to run the boots or not. I've heard arguments both ways, but being that I'm in CA there isn't much concern about corrosion. I'm thinking it should go pretty easy as there isn't very much rust on the bottom side of my rig.

Reactions: 94c2500
Probably a bit pointless but they are meant to make putting the doors back in a bit safer for your pointwork.
View attachment 13785

Are those hinge bushings? Aren't they supposed to be inside the hinge? Are they really necessary because mine have rotted out and I haven't replaced them. Nothing but bad reviews on amazon. Not sure where to buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the 5000X, great shock. I don't run boots. There is a wiper seal to keep crud out of the shock itself and I think they look goofy. The rear boots are pre-installed and a hard plastic, not soft like the fronts. A box cutter makes for quick removal.

Reactions: 94c2500
I run the 5000X, great shock. I don't run boots. There is a wiper seal to keep crud out of the shock itself and I think they look goofy. The rear boots are pre-installed and a hard plastic, not soft like the fronts. A box cutter makes for quick removal.
I vote against the boots.

But then nobody will know that I spared no expense on the most expensive rancho shocks available. :risas3: