What do used hardtops go for?

WallyWest

TJ Addict
Just swapped out my hardtop for a new soft top. Kinda doubt I will use the hard top again, so I'm thinking of selling it. I'm in PA, if that matters, and aside from being a bit faded it's in good shape. Had it on when I bought the TJ last Nov, and it has not leaked at all. And I don't have a garage so it was exposed to the weather.

Looking for an idea of price range. Like what would be the very least you'd take for it, friends and family discount, that sort of thing. Up to the top realistic price you'd feel confident it would still sell for.

It was on an '03 Sport, no rear vents. Rear hinges in good shape and wiper and washer fluid works.

IMG_20200524_132651892_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200524_132707726.jpg

Depends on the area, but if there are no cracks and it's in great shape I would guess anywhere between $600 to maybe $1,200. I would wait until winter to sell it to get the top dollar though.

Reactions: GEEP4ME
$600-$1500 depending on condition and year and part of the country. I paid $1400 for one (with vents) in good shape. Had a rack on top ($250-350) and a Yakima rack deflector ($125). Easy $1000 for just the top though. Did have to replace the loose vents though.

Reactions: Babygools99
$600-$1500 depending on condition and year and part of the country. I paid $1400 for one (with vents) in good shape. Had a rack on top ($250-350) and a Yakima rack deflector ($125). Easy $1000 for just the top though. Did have to replace the loose vents though.
Where did you get replacements? I need to order some for my hardtop!

I posted my undamaged repainted factory ‘99 hardtop with a functioning wiper & rear defrost for $1200. Got a call the first day and sold it for that same price.

I’ve seen them here in Minnesota for $800 to $1500. Probably more of a market with the winters.
As a side note, I have a hard top, with a seal across the windshield. Does anyone know if, when I want to run a soft top during the summer, I have to remove that seal to accommodate the windshield channel? I’m looking for a way to somewhat easily convert from hardtop to soft top and back, seasonally.

So, during my 3 month lead up to my purchase in April I was looking for the best TJ Rubicon I could find and if it was a soft top I'd also buy a good/great condition hard top. That research showed that a truly great shape top will be around $1200 and even higher for certain colors. I saw them for as high as $1800 but it also had OBO which essentially says "I'll take less".

I’ve seen them here in Minnesota for $800 to $1500. Probably more of a market with the winters.
As a side note, I have a hard top, with a seal across the windshield. Does anyone know if, when I want to run a soft top during the summer, I have to remove that seal to accommodate the windshield channel? I’m looking for a way to somewhat easily convert from hardtop to soft top and back, seasonally.

You do not have to change seals to change tops.

Don’t the soft tops have to merge onto a channel across the top of the windshield?

So, I'm not an expert on TJ soft tops. My TJ has a hard top and I ordered a windshield channel from Bestop to install a Bikini top for the summer. It installed without any alterations of the gasketing. It's the same channel used for full soft tops as well.

Link to installation guide

at least on my 2003 its the same header seal for soft top and my old hardtop.

Same here. I pulled the hard top off, there was a rubber seal across the top of the windshield that stayed put. The soft top header clipped right down over that seal.

Used hard top prices vary dramatically by location. In areas where it rains constantly or sees snow and colder weather, they tend to go for a lot more than warm and sunny regions.

Down here in Arizona I'm not sure you could give a hard top away (kidding), but in Oregon (where we lived before) I would see them listed for up to $1200 in winter time.

TJ hardtops in Canada are a LOT less expensive than what I see them being advertised for in the US. I think most TJ's here were ordered with one because of the weather. My LJ did not come with one though; one was acquired later by the guy I bought it from. I think that as TJ's are converted to more dedicated warm weather off road use only, more tops are sitting around unused.

I see TJ hardtops on Kijiji all the time for about $400 CDN (about $300 US) or less. LJ hardtops are expensive though ... generally around $1,200 CDN.

This one was posted today ...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-detail...dium=email&siteLocale=en_CA&utm_source=alerts