What was your first Jeep?

1976 CJ7. Ford 304.....bought in 2014 sight unseen and had no idea about anything. It was a bad time in life....sold it in 2mths to pay mortgages. One of the dumbest moves letting it go
scott cj7.jpg

I absolutely love the way you worded that-

you know having a jeep in your heart is saying I’m never going to be tied down- I have always felt the call for the open road- And of course with a jeep fun is not just where the road starts - sometimes it starts where the road ends.

My 79 CJ 5 renegade was the first of many- My 83 CJ seven will always hold a place in my heart- it was just a really really good jeep add a good time with my life- I was 20.

My 2003 TJR makes me look back when I walk away.

View attachment 418730

That's exactly how I felt about my 82' Scrambler @AndyG , and now about my 05' TJR.

Mine was a ‘91 YJ 2.5 manual with 200k. I was the accidental high bidder for it on eBay in 2003. I had to fly to Kentucky and drive it back to Texas. Had 33” bald tires and the back was full of old parts. It wouldn’t go more than 65 and by the time I got home I was hooked.

It only had the lap belt in the back seat and on every turn the kids and their car seats would fall over. The wife didn’t like that so I traded it for a ‘05 LJ. Wish I would’ve kept that one but now I am back to a 2000 2.5 manual.

This thread motivated me to find some old pics.
IMG_1295.jpeg

photo.jpeg

1976 CJ7. Ford 304.....bought in 2014 sight unseen and had no idea about anything. It was a bad time in life....sold it in 2mths to pay mortgages. One of the dumbest moves letting it go

The confusion is understandable. AMC used a LOT of other manufacturers parts. On my '79 CJ7, the 304 starter was at least Ford design, if not actually Ford. The starter relay, electronic ignition module, and distributor, (I think), were Ford, and the intake manifold actually said FOMOCO on it. The alternator, the power steering pump and the steering column and I think the coil were GM design. And that's just off the top of my head.

Reactions: ColoJeep
1979 CJ-7, 4.2L, 3spd. Got it while I was in college and I learned a lot with that buggy. It had a hard top or a bikini top depending on when winter started and my daily driver till up in the 90s. I was sorry I ever sold it and within a few years I got another CJ-7 but with the 304. It was a continuation of my education in Jeeps. I still have the majority of that one but hasn't seen the road in 20 years. So with my knuckles healed, and my wallet getting fatter, I evidently still yearned to learn more so I bought my first TJ in 99. Over a decade later, being super duper smart with all this acquired Jeep experience and my wallet down to it's fighting weight I decided to sell it. That was just a couple of years ago so now I am on my 2nd TJ. Some may call it an addiction, but I like to think of myself as a life long learner.

Reactions: Bobohunter1776
My uncle's 1948 CJ2A. It was my ride all through high school and whenever I would go home from college.
A fuzzy scan of a photo my wife (then-girlfriend) took back in 1992.

jeep92.jpg

That Jeep is still in my parents' garage too. It's nice paying it a visit when I go see them.

The confusion is understandable. AMC used a LOT of other manufacturers parts. On my '79 CJ7, the 304 starter was at least Ford design, if not actually Ford. The starter relay, electronic ignition module, and distributor, (I think), were Ford, and the intake manifold actually said FOMOCO on it. The alternator, the power steering pump and the steering column and I think the coil were GM design. And that's just off the top of my head.
Yeah, AMC = American Motors Corporation so using various American automobile components to make a vehicle fit the nameplate.

Yeah, AMC = American Motors Corporation so using various American automobile components to make a vehicle fit the nameplate.

AMC= any manufacturers components

After my 47 CJA2 I got a 75 CJ5, then a 81 CJ5 then an 84 CJ7 then an 84 CJ8 a 78 CJ7 on 40's and somewhere in the mix of Jeep CJ'S I had a 74 FJ40.

A 99 TJ, 01 TJ, 02 TJ and finally my 06 TJR.

Not really mine, but... Growing up my father purchased 3. It started with one, but keeping it running was difficult. So he purchased a second. Keeping it running and finding spare parts was hard, so he purchased a 3rd to be scavanged for parts (so we did not have to wait for weeks to find parts). The goal was to keep the first 2 running, and repair the 3rd if we ever got caught up. Main thing I recall is most of the time none ran. 2 were military, one was postal - so I assume they were all vietnam era. We finnally sold them and got a dune buggy. It ran better, but I still recall pulling the engine to work on it at least 3 times.

First one I paid for was a JLUR. We kind of sold it (to my wife's brother) to get a JLURD - which annoyed me, as it was supposed to become mine when my wife tired of it. It's engine pretty much died about 2 months ago. JLURD is running fine. Anyway, I got myself a TJU since I did not get the JLUR. It has been a slow road getting it where I want it, but it is coming together nicely now. A few more electronics to install, need to see if I can quiet the differential noise - then sound and heat proof it - and it might be an enjoyable vehicle to have around.

Reactions: RINC
85 CJ-7 with the T5 transmission and 4.2 liter 258. You haven’t owned a Jeep until you’ve dealt with the two-barrel Carter carburetor.

As much as I loved that Jeep I’d never take it over the TJ given coil springs and fuel injected 4.0.

That is a true statement- Jeep was in a bad place in every way- Emissions compliance was one - and those things had a bird's nest of vac lines-

Reactions: LJBean

I remember going to the parts store about 1980- boy it was crapshoot for a light switch or something- but often as not they would pull one made for some common model truck or something and fix ya up.

It is really amazing Jeep is even still here- I guess folks can cuss or thank Lee Iococca for paying $600 million for it.

Anyone ever wonder what we would have seen had Chevy or Ford bought it?

IMG_0354.png
1997 TJ Se, I bought it with a blown radiator for like $2500 I believe. I ended up selling it to my mechanic for a steal and bought my current Jeep, my second Jeep I bought with a hole in the block 😂😂

Reactions: L J and John Cooper
That is a true statement- Jeep was in a bad place in every way- Emissions compliance was one - and those things had a bird's nest of vac lines-

Every MFG. was struggling with emissions and everybody had 500' of Vacuum line in every car. My new 83 GMC 2.8l V-6 T-15 had an amazing 115 h.p. to go with 500' of vacuum line. :cautious: