When is it time for new shocks?

There's 2 bolts on the bottom. Are yours like that? But it's weird bc it looks like the hole on the bottom of the shock sits in the frame?
That's how the front shocks mount. Two bottom nuts and bolts and one top nut. The rounded bottom of the shock protrudes down through that small square opening maybe 3/8".

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt77
20180721_135918.jpg

There is a nut on the bottom of each bolt.

Not the best video but it will show you how. (Not me) dont know them.

Reactions: Matt77
What do you guys think about trailmaster shocks? I know rancho is the coolest. It's funny bc I have trailmasters on the front and Ranchos on the back.

Hi all. I have a question that lines up with the OP's thread title. I have original stock shocks on my 97 SE. I have no real reason to suspect that they are going bad, because when I stand on the bumper and give it a bounce the Jeep settles down after just one or two little cycles. Still, I can't help but wonder how things might feel with a better (and newer) shock.

If we assume that my stock shocks are in as good of shape as they could be after 23 years and 90k miles of gentle, mostly on-road use, what difference would we expect with a pair of Rancho 5000Xs?

Hi all. I have a question that lines up with the OP's thread title. I have original stock shocks on my 97 SE. I have no real reason to suspect that they are going bad, because when I stand on the bumper and give it a bounce the Jeep settles down after just one or two little cycles. Still, I can't help but wonder how things might feel with a better (and newer) shock.

If we assume that my stock shocks are in as good of shape as they could be after 23 years and 90k miles of gentle, mostly on-road use, what difference would we expect with a pair of Rancho 5000Xs?
Bet they are shot. Stock shocks on anything are usually done before 50k.

Bet they are shot. Stock shocks on anything are usually done before 50k.

Yep, I thought the same, but I'm still curious about my original question: what difference would I expect to feel/find if I installed Ranchos? Right now the shocks don't seem shot, since they do their job of absorbing any oscillating action in the springs.

Yep, I thought the same, but I'm still curious about my original question: what difference would I expect to feel/find if I installed Ranchos? Right now the shocks don't seem shot, since they do their job of absorbing any oscillating action in the springs.
@Thunderhead or @bobthetj03

Did you guys have stock shocks?

I had my rubicon shocks ( IDK of those were different on sports etc) for about 20 k miles and they were good on 31’s and 32’s. Then I got the bilstein shocks and those sucked ass.
My Rancho x’s are about as good as the originals. 100% better than the bilsteins

It's been too long ago to remember, but when I bought the jeep 15 years ago, it was on stock shocks with 28k miles on them. After a year running stock, I installed a OME 2.5" lift with the first gen nitros. The change from stock to the OME shocks didn't send me running to the web's in amazement as to how much better they were.

Reactions: Alex01
On my canyon, the shocks didn’t rebound or bounce when bad, but I really noticed when hitting things like diagonal seams, the truck would feel like it would skip sideways. I don’t think a Jeep will ‘float’, I think you’ll lose stability/control.

On my canyon, the shocks didn’t rebound or bounce when bad, but I really noticed when hitting things like diagonal seams, the truck would feel like it would skip sideways. I don’t think a Jeep will ‘float’, I think you’ll lose stability/control.
Thanks. I'm new to learning about Jeep suspensions (or suspensions at all), so was thinking that new shocks and maybe new springs would be a nice first step to learn, and to see what I've been missing by riding around on stock stuff for almost 100k.

I will soon take off one or two shocks and see how well they still compress and hold their position. Then, I may get some Ranchos just to see what they're like. But I'm not ready for a lift or anything more major.