White wheels: cool or lame?

I don’t like them on a TJ but I do like seeing a variety of stuff including unique things on other people’s Jeeps. Lame would be if everyone had the same thing, right?

Looking through old CJ brochures, it looks like the standard wheels were 15x5.5 with ~225/75/15 and optional 15x8 with ~235/75/15

Not a fan of white wheels unless it's an original/older classic car. White just doesn't seem right if you're going to play in the dirt.

White

White seats in a Jeep would seem difficult to keep clean? Maybe they are like vinyl boat seats but still...
They were vinyl, and white was great when you had the top down in the South in the summer and hopped in wearing shorts! I didn't have carpet, and often pulled the drain plugs and hosed it out. It was easy to keep them clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
What size wheels and where did they come from? What was needed to make them fit?

I think the link is in my build thread 15x8 wheels vintique steelies I got from summit. They have 4.25 inches of backspacing. Nothing needed to make them fit but that all depends on tire size.

Reactions: Squatch
I think the link is in my build thread 15x8 wheels vintique steelies I got from summit. They have 4.25 inches of backspacing. Nothing needed to make them fit but that all depends on tire size.

Thanks! I like the look and have a green TJ. I want to replace my original wheels that the previous owner rattle canned black.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
There is one big drawback for me to paint my hardtop white while still being in Texas. The color fire amber looks burnt orange and being coupled with a white hardtop (University of Texas Longhorn colors) would put me in the crosshairs of Texas A&M Aggies of which there are MANY here. HaHa!

Yep!

I thought wheels and tires were the same thing. I guess I could be wrong, and wheels are a comination of tires and rims. 🤫

I thought wheels and tires were the same thing. I guess I could be wrong, and wheels are a comination of tires and rims. 🤫

Rim is slang for wheel. A wheel has two main parts, the actual "rim" is just the outer edge of the wheel, while the center is the other portion. That's why if you go to a website like Discount Tire or Tire Rack you can shop for wheels or tires and you get two different things for the result. They don't have an option to search for rims.

Reactions: suicideking
ALL wheels matter!!!

And aside from watercraft and helicopters,

i will agree to disagree with you on this one, 😂

IMG_3481.jpeg

• USA Proud
Reactions: DEValken

Rim is slang for wheel. A wheel has two main parts, the actual "rim" is just the outer edge of the wheel, while the center is the other portion. That's why if you go to a website like Discount Tire or Tire Rack you can shop for wheels or tires and you get two different things for the result. They don't have an option to search for rims.

Wheel - The entire piece of aluminum alloy (or steel) that the tire is mounted on.
Rim - Outer part of the wheel that the tire is mounted to. Many often refer to 'wheels' as 'rims' which is essentially slang, but not correct.

The tire is not part of the wheel, it is mounted on the wheel.

Rims aka Dub deuces in Jeep Low rider community. It has a dual meaning in the Urban Dictionary. Both meanings equal the same thing. 🤫
Dub deuces meaning
1. A simplified term for 22 inch rims, typically on an SUV. Derived from dub (20), with deuce (2) added.
2. In rarer cases, this can be used to shortly name a 20 inch long piece of fecal matter, or shit.

Jeep no lift with 20 inch wheels on 33s.jpg