Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

This is the first I’ve read about a slow fill. It generally had been splash back when the fuel pump shuts off

I can’t imagine dealing with some of what I’ve read here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

This is the first I’ve read about a slow fill. It generally had been splash back when the fuel pump shuts off

I can’t imagine dealing with some of what I’ve read here

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi
I've read about it, but it did not happen with the '06 that I had the back splash issue with. That would have driven me nuts. I 'fixed' the back splash with the GM hose, and was happy. Maybe if I had kept the TJ, it might have been an issue down the road...

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
You seem to have verbal diarrhea. If gas does not exit the vehicle during fueling the problem no longer exists.

Verbal diarrhea is usually associated with and quite often employed when trying to get folks to understand how things work instead of how they think they work. You've done the same as the guy with the check engine light who pulls the cluster and takes out the bulb. Since the light is no longer on, the problem is solved, right?

Ya'll keep adding your band-aids, I'll keep dropping the tank and fixing the problem.

The splash back seems to be more prevalent than the slow filling. It would take forever when the plunger was stuck in the up position. I would be nearly pulling out what little hair I have left :D
That was the issue with the ones I've fixed for folks. Started as a spit back and the progressed to very slow fill dribbling fuel in. Once I took a tank apart and got my hands on the valve, all of it makes sense. Just depends on where the valve sticks.

Reactions: Rob5589
I guess this question has probably been asked and answered more than once, but...what did they change in 2005/2006 that caused this issue in those years (and subsequent years with JKs)?

I guess this question has probably been asked and answered more than once, but...what did they change in 2005/2006 that caused this issue in those years (and subsequent years with JKs)?
Just a guess, but I suspect that two things are the problem. One is the additive package put in gasoline that affected the stability of the plastic parts in the tank and possibly that the formula for the plastic changed which may lead to dimensional changes when exposed to gasoline. One, the other or some combination of both.

Given how long it takes for the problem to show up on some, I'd lean more toward a change in the gasoline being used. But, then again, I don't know that they tested the plastic pieces for several years of exposure either. I'm just happy someone spent the time to dissect the problem, get to the root cause and show us the solution. Once you pop the cage off and remove it from the tank, it is very obvious what is going on.

I found a company that makes aftermarket bolt on tanks that hold way more fuel than the stock tank. I’m going to order one of those as a REAL fix for this issue.

Here it is:

https://genright.com/products/jeep-lj-safari-gas-tank-skid-plate-31-5-gal.html

@mrblaine what do you think, kind sir?

Holy cow!! What’s the clearance Lost mounting that thing!?

It wouldn’t take any time to get my money back with the extra savings in fuel

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

It wouldn’t take any time to get my money back with the extra savings in fuel

Your logic has me a bit confused unless you are referencing something that fully escapes me. Putting in more fuel of the same price doesn't save any money, improve mileage, or decrease cost in any way that I can ascertain, so where does the savings come from?

Your logic has me a bit confused unless you are referencing something that fully escapes me. Putting in more fuel of the same price doesn't save any money, improve mileage, or decrease cost in any way that I can ascertain, so where does the savings come from?

Sarcasm [emoji6]

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi