1. Forum decals are here! Visit this thread to order your Wrangler TJ Forum decal!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum t-shirts are here! Get yours by clicking here for colored logo shirts or clicking here for black and white logo shirts.

If you support the forum and would like a cool shirt, be sure to order one! As always, the small amount of profit I make off of these goes to paying operational expenses for the forum. Trust me, I'm not getting rich off this.

Dismiss Notice

Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Discussion in 'TJ How-to Guides' started by Chris, Nov 11, 2015.

1. glwood

glwood TJ Addict Supporting Member

It's been stuck on that filler neck for a long time, probably almost fused to it. Give it a slit with an exacto knife, carefully. Or, cut it off completely beyond the filler neck, then slide a thin flat-bladed screwdriver under the portion still on the neck to break the seal.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    dylansalrin likes this.
  2. dylansalrin

dylansalrin CRNA In Training Supporting Member

That works perfect, thank you

3. glwood

glwood TJ Addict Supporting Member

Glad to help. Got yours off?

4. dylansalrin

dylansalrin CRNA In Training Supporting Member

Yea now I have to measure and cut because mine has body lift

5. :risas3:What did guys with CJ's ever do without all this technology?

VirtualRussel and Chris like this.
  6. Rob5589

Rob5589 TJ Addict Supporting Member

Got crappy mileage and put out large amounts of emissions. But I get your drift.

On another note: More gas today, even "topped off" and no issues :D :D

StG58 likes this.
  7. I found the part on Amazon but had to wait until it came back in stock, it took several months.

8. Rob5589

Hell could have dropped the tank and fixed it permanently instead of waiting. Honestly it isn't difficult once you get to it.

10. It is not clear to me either which way is correct. Does the notch indicate the top? I know it gets cut off but I can mark the hose.

11. Just did this yesterday... the fat end is attached to the tank with the notch at 12 o'clock position... so that the flapper is floating loose and back splash would snap it shut. Hope that helps.

Tom Andersen and Chris like this.
  12. On this subject, I have a side issue...
    The rubber vent tube that is zip-tied to the fill pipe (in this picture) with the little vent cap on it....
    12_filler_fix-jpg.jpg

Where does it attach at the other end ???? I found ours just shoved into the area above the tank but not connected to anything... Can't be right.. Any help very appreciated.

Dave

2005 Wrangler TJ

13. Dave that's exactly what I need to know, thank you very much.

Tom

14. Rob5589

That is the rear diff vent tube. Double check it is still connected.

StG58 likes this.
  15. Seems the previous owner or lazy mechanic didn't bother to reconnect the original diff vent tube, and just threw on a short hose and tucked it into the skid plate.... I've sorted it back to proper. Rob5589 thanks for the heads up... easy fixes are nice once in a while. Also thank you to the OP - the guidance was spot on - no more splash back at fuel time for us.

16. Rob - looking closely at that picture it looks like there are actually two vent tubes.... is the 2nd one the transfer case vent? or?

thanks much
    Dave

17. Rob5589

The other one vents the gas tank.