Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

I did this mod today. I found the GM tube on Amazon, so they are available. I had a couple of challenges, one of them being the hose clamp closest to the fuel tank. I discovered that an 8 mm ratchet boxed end wrench with a pivot (flexible) head works perfect to remove the lower hose clamp.
That's the one that kicked my butt, thanks for the info.

I did this mod today. I found the GM tube on Amazon, so they are available. I had a couple of challenges, one of them being the hose clamp closest to the fuel tank. I discovered that an 8 mm ratchet boxed end wrench with a pivot (flexible) head works perfect to remove the lower hose clamp.

I have since needed gas, so I went to test the mod...............................No more gas overflow. Mod worked perfect.

It's the little things in life.

Hell could have dropped the tank and fixed it permanently instead of waiting. Honestly it isn't difficult once you get to it.
We had a customer that had a shop install the GM piece. He still had issues, we removed the GM piece, dropped the tank, sanded down the ridges a small amount so the valve moved freely again and it's back to being good as new. At this point, the GM piece is nothing more than a bandaid.

Reactions: Chris
We had a customer that had a shop install the GM piece. He still had issues, we removed the GM piece, dropped the tank, sanded down the ridges a small amount so the valve moved freely again and it's back to being good as new. At this point, the GM piece is nothing more than a bandaid.
My story exactly.

The reason the gm fix works, if properly installed, is because it’s a hose with a metal flapper that will never be affected by the ethanol gas like the tank plastic flapper. $30 bucks, 30 minutes... done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe. Didn't solve the issue for me. Even with the GM hose, which is a cheap and easy fix for some GM vehicles that had the same issue, you are still getting splash back. It's just that the GM hose hides it by blocking the fuel from spewing out. So you haven't fixed the issue, only disguised it.

Maybe. Didn't solve the issue for me. Even with the GM hose, which is a cheap and easy fix for some GM vehicles that had the same issue, you are still getting splash back. It's just that the GM hose hides it by blocking the fuel from spewing out. So you haven't fixed the issue, only disguised it.

If gas doesn’t spew out when the pump stops, the problem is solved. Any fuel that spews up from the tank and is stopped by the gm flapper runs back down the hose and into the tank.

Reactions: Sierra96
The GM fix is very much appreciated by the gas pumpers here in my area since I did the mod. I highly recommend it, don’t listen to anyone who says it’s not a great solution!

Let's view this bullshit from a logical perspective, shall we? Let's start with the basics. The fuel used to go into the tank when it was new just fine with no issues. Over time something changed in the fuel system that causes varying degrees of fuel spit back and slow fueling. Since certain plastic formulations are affected by additives in gasoline and change dimensionally by either shrinking or swelling, the issue then becomes identifying which of those has occurred to change the characteristics of putting fuel in the tank that causes it to be problematic.

Since the rubber fill hose didn't close down, that only leaves a few other areas to examine for possible causes. At one end of the filler system is a steel filler neck and the other end is a plastic filler neck into the tank which has a very sensitive plastic valve in it that is a very snug fit in an plastic cage. The valve has a piston on it with small ridges to keep it a very snug fit in the cage which it moves up and down in. The valve is controlled by a very very light spring as in fractions of an ounce of spring pressure so the incoming fuel will push it down out of the way and uncover the ports in the cage so fuel can freely enter the tank.

Now, if the additive package in your fuel changes the dimensions of the cage or the valve, it will stick and cause mild to severe fueling issues because it sticks in various degrees along the inside of the cage.

If one takes the piston out of the cage and files down the little ridges to restore it back to OEM full functionality, that is not a Band-Aid, it is a solid repair. Hacking up the rubber fill hose and plopping in another valve is not a repair, it is a Band-Aid.

The better solution is to fix the problem, not put a Band-Aid on it. Yes, sometimes band-aids work, but they are still band-aids.

If gas doesn’t spew out when the pump stops, the problem is solved. Any fuel that spews up from the tank and is stopped by the gm flapper runs back down the hose and into the tank.

All of which depends on where in the cage the valve sticks.

When I was reaching into the tight spots to install the new GM pipe, I cut my arm and started to leak blood out of my arm. Oh no what do I do, the liquid fuel is leaking from my arm. So ...............you guessed it...........I got a Band-Aid to stop the liquid fuel from leaking. Not as good as my OEM skin, but worked just the same. :dancer2:

Reactions: dschwes
You seem to have verbal diarrhea. If gas does not exit the vehicle during fueling the problem no longer exists.

Beyond the fuel splash back is the fact that the plunger will not close in a roll over and fuel will leak out. The other issue is sloooooow filling, mine would have both. When it would stick nearly closed, it would take 20 or so mins to fill up. The GM hose won't take care of that one.

I have not seen any slow down during fueling. I get your concern about roll over i guess, but it would take a roll over to see if that would ever be a problem. I suspect at that time you would have a long list of things to be worried about.

Wow...... I had this problem every time I set the pump to fill...

I fixed the issue...

I just do a little mental math and stop the pump myself or prepay inside after doing said math..

no spillage

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I have not seen any slow down during fueling. I get your concern about roll over i guess, but it would take a roll over to see if that would ever be a problem. I suspect at that time you would have a long list of things to be worried about.

The splash back seems to be more prevalent than the slow filling. It would take forever when the plunger was stuck in the up position. I would be nearly pulling out what little hair I have left :D

If it was properly installed I don’t see how there could ever be any splash back. Mine has been bone dry since install. You do have to be sure to have the flapper horizontal or it won’t work as designed.