Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

2003's are not immune. I can't get my tank full. I can baby the fuel in a little at a time, but takes forever to get it full. Ugh!

I installed Genright's 24.5 gallon tank and the GM hose. Tank and skid plate are made well.
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg

This is good info...right now I am careful not to fill until the handle clicks off. But I noticed fuel still splashes out. I will do this after I figure out why on initial startup in morning runs rough and yesterday it sounded like an exhaust leak....I am guessing EGR

Reactions: Chris
The one I got from the GM dealership was straight, and I had no issues with it kinking. It has to be trimmed for length also...

So I've got this very nice TJ Unlimited I'm building for someone on here. He wants it to be very nice. At first drive, we had to put some fuel in and we could only dribble it in. Took about 10 minutes to get 5 gallons in. Should we throw the Band-Aid at it or take it off and fix it correctly?

Do you have to drop the tank to remove the check ball to smooth it out?
Yes, but not a ball. It is an actual stem valve that is lightly spring loaded and the fuel is supposed to push it out of the way with the 1/2 ounce of spring pressure is has. When the valve swells or the cage shrinks, it sticks in various positions. This one is obviously stuck at the top. So, Band-Aid or actually fix it?

Yes, but not a ball. It is an actual stem valve that is lightly spring loaded and the fuel is supposed to push it out of the way with the 1/2 ounce of spring pressure is has. When the valve swells or the cage shrinks, it sticks in various positions. This one is obviously stuck at the top. So, Band-Aid or actually fix it?

It's like having a secondary shut off valve in the pipe line, in case the first one fails, so band aid.

Mine has started doing this to where I can get the tank almost full, but then have to baby the last gallon of fuel in. Takes me like 3 minutes just to get that last gallon in there.

So I've got this very nice TJ Unlimited I'm building for someone on here. He wants it to be very nice. At first drive, we had to put some fuel in and we could only dribble it in. Took about 10 minutes to get 5 gallons in. Should we throw the Band-Aid at it or take it off and fix it correctly?
:meparto:

@bobthetj03 , it's a plunger that has guides inside a cage. You simply file, sand, smooth out those guides so that it moves freely within the cage. The biggest pita is popping off the cage but it is pliable nylon type material so it's durable enough to pry with a small screw driver to pop it off. Just do it, takes about 3 hrs start to finish. Just be careful with the fuel line clips, they get brittle and break. Afterwards you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

:meparto:

@bobthetj03 , it's a plunger that has guides inside a cage. You simply file, sand, smooth out those guides so that it moves freely within the cage. The biggest pita is popping off the cage but it is pliable nylon type material so it's durable enough to pry with a small screw driver to pop it off. Just do it, takes about 3 hrs start to finish. Just be careful with the fuel line clips, they get brittle and break. Afterwards you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

It's on my short list of to do's.

Reactions: Rob5589
I cannot believe Chrysler isn't required to fix this DANGEROUS problem that is also an ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARD. Why is that.....

So, I'm doing it myself and I'm just curious.... This is probably a dumb question, but the flapper valve can only go one way and I'm confused as to if it should flap open "down" or flap open "up" In other words, does the gas going into the tank open the flapper? If this is the case, then is the flapper open normally and closes only when the gas comes back up the hose? It just seems like the valve is upside down in this hose I bought. When I hold it hose clamp up, the flapper is closed....no gas could possibly go in. The first photo is narrow end up and the second photo is wide end and hose clamp up. Many thanks for any help.....
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg