Been awhile since I updated my build thread. Had a couple of mishaps and a few changes. We live out in the TX Hill Country, sufficiently far from civilization to have a substantially different lifestyle than the average urbanite. The Hill Country is composed of limestone and granite upwarps, so there is a good diversity of rock crawling terrain. We live in a limestone dominated area, on a hill, so we have rocks galore. However, our driveway is crushed granite and makes its way into every crevice. Who knows where a rock will turn up (dishwasher? laundry? your toilet bowl). Well, anyway, my son picked up a larger rock that had made its way to the mouth of our garage. They've been instructed to throw them away from the house. So he picks up a rock and throws it, only to have it hit the raised garage door and ricochet into the Jeep windshield (which was parked just outside the garage). I didn't have the heart to take a pic, but here's one after the new windshield was installed!
IMG_8654.JPG

The next day I was changing my oil and a freak wind blew my hood all the way open so it hit the header above the windshield and dented the hood. I worked some of it out with a piece of soft wood and a rubber mallet, but I can't do much more at the folding seam on each side of the upper hood. Thankfully, it's not very noticeable, so I'm just going to move on. A total repair and repaint was $1100 and PDR was $175, but would only correct about 90%. Let's move on in life...it's a Jeep...You may be able to see part of it toward the left side of the pic above, on the seam that goes up on the hood.

Time to change the Transmission Fluid. I have the NSG-370, 6 Speed Mercedes transmission. It is a good transmission. It was first produced in 2005 TJ's and continued throughout the career of the JK's. So the JK's with this transmission can't be totally anti-TJ, and vice-versa. This transmission is a little notorious for being stubborn in 2nd and reverse. I'd read that Redline MTL or Royal Purple might smooth it out. I went with the Redline MTL. I will say that initially it seemed better, but after a couple of weeks, it seems about the same. Maybe my TJ was trying tell me something today when it refused to go into reverse 2-3 times. Oh well, you've got to get home, so reverse is a must. 62,500 on the odometer, so this should hold me another 15-25,000 with my wheelin habits.

Reactions: Chris
On to the shock escapade. When I bought this Jeep I didn't know anything about it other than it has a bulletproof engine known affectionately as the 4.0. I researched what I could about monotube vs gas shocks. At the time I was thinking longevity. I was coming out of a F250 that needed a full time mechanic. I also wanted a little lift. So, I went with a RE 1.75" Budget boost with monotube shock. $409 through everyone's favorite Jeep guys, quadratec (notice no caps)! After I found this forum, shout out to @Chris and the great advice here, I figured out what the RE BB really was. Not bad, the shocks are stamped Bilstein and I called RE and they revealed that they were 5100's. I rode them for a year and got to the point I just couldn't stand my teeth chattering and doors clattering on every county road I drive. So I took the advice of many here and ordered up some Rancho 5000X from @AOR (shout out, I'll be calling you soon for something else). I hated the white so I painted them a metallic black/gray. They are beautiful in the sunlight.
DB5330C7-0D01-49D6-93D1-911BF365A8F0.jpeg

Unfortunately they won't see much of that under my Jeep (at least I hope not). I made my own Ranch 500 stickers with a printer and 5ml automotive tape. Got the fronts installed one morning before breakfast. Can I get an amen?
826DB4A4-3AB6-40C4-A236-95FC73233F03.jpeg

The rears were up the next morning and I got them in before breakfast.
1681EF4D-51C2-4608-9AEC-6A7DBA75E3A2.jpeg

I've got five kids and a wife, so Jeep time can be difficult to carve out, but not at 6am! I'm evaluating these new shocks. Before I had my psi on my 33x12.5's down to 24 just so I could live with my TJ. When I put the Rancho's on I didn't get to the psi, so drove them 100 miles at 24. The ride was noticeably plusher. Can I say, car? Almost. I have now upped them to 26psi where they should be, and the ride is not as plush, but it is still better. I need to put another 350 miles on them before a final evaluation. That's all for now. Wheelin trip this coming weekend, that will also give me some feedback for my upcoming shock report. Something else brewing, funds available, so stay tuned....

Been awhile since I updated my build thread. Had a couple of mishaps and a few changes. We live out in the TX Hill Country, sufficiently far from civilization to have a substantially different lifestyle than the average urbanite. The Hill Country is composed of limestone and granite upwarps, so there is a good diversity of rock crawling terrain. We live in a limestone dominated area, on a hill, so we have rocks galore. However, our driveway is crushed granite and makes its way into every crevice. Who knows where a rock will turn up (dishwasher? laundry? your toilet bowl). Well, anyway, my son picked up a larger rock that had made its way to the mouth of our garage. They've been instructed to throw them away from the house. So he picks up a rock and throws it, only to have it hit the raised garage door and ricochet into the Jeep windshield (which was parked just outside the garage). I didn't have the heart to take a pic, but here's one after the new windshield was installed!
View attachment 39608

The next day I was changing my oil and a freak wind blew my hood all the way open so it hit the header above the windshield and dented the hood. I worked some of it out with a piece of soft wood and a rubber mallet, but I can't do much more at the folding seam on each side of the upper hood. Thankfully, it's not very noticeable, so I'm just going to move on. A total repair and repaint was $1100 and PDR was $175, but would only correct about 90%. Let's move on in life...it's a Jeep...You may be able to see part of it toward the left side of the pic above, on the seam that goes up on the hood.

Jeez you’ve had your share of bad luck. Always the most frustrating with things like that

Reactions: JMT
Good call on painting the Ranchos. I hate that they are white with red boots, it's so friggin' ugly!

I'm torn on whether to install the boots with them or not. Some people say to install the boots, others say not to.

I didn't install the dumb blue boots with my Bilstein shocks either. I like the idea of stickers. Mine are just plain stainless steel... Kinda boring. I have a vinyl cutter at work...hmm...

Good call on painting the Ranchos. I hate that they are white with red boots, it's so friggin' ugly!

I'm torn on whether to install the boots with them or not. Some people say to install the boots, others say not to.
I’ve read that moisture and dirt can get trapped in there. I’m not convinced it’s a big deal either way. My sons want me to put the front one’s on. When I cycle the suspension I think I’ll put them on and take a look. They are red, so they would match the TJ and shock. At least I kept the option open...Your build is really coming along. Every time I get on here I have like 4 more pages to read just to catch up!

The 6spd can be clunky. A little trick I read was to put it in 1st then go to R since they are one the same gear spindle. Seems to work for me.

The 6spd can be clunky. A little trick I read was to put it in 1st then go to R since they are one the same gear spindle. Seems to work for me.
Hmm...I’ve been doing that exact thing without this wonderful knowledge. I think I go into 1st because it’s just so natural. It does work. Thanks for giving me the reason....

I’ve read that moisture and dirt can get trapped in there. I’m not convinced it’s a big deal either way. My sons want me to put the front one’s on. When I cycle the suspension I think I’ll put them on and take a look. They are red, so they would match the TJ and shock. At least I kept the option open...Your build is really coming along. Every time I get on here I have like 4 more pages to read just to catch up!

I think I'll keep my boots on just for the hell of it. I kind of like the look. In fact, red boots with black shock bodies would look especially cool, particularly on your red TJ!

Most of those pages are @Starrs posting his TJ finds from Craigslist and other sites, haha!

But yeah, I'm pushing to get as much of it done as I can in time for Summer.

Make sure you disco and give those shocks a workout on your trip. It really does help to break them in.

The shocks are sealed. The boots are really unnecessary, but some people like the look, and it does keep mud and grime away sort of. It really won't hurt to run without them. I personally run them because I like the look of them, but they do start to look ratty when they get stained with mud. I can see the appeal of either way, but you are good to go either way.

I left the boots off of mine so I could see how far the zip ties traveled up the shaft. I need to add a bit of bump stop.
That’s a great idea. I’ll put some on before our run on Saturday

Next up, completing my CB/Antenna setup. I’ve been running the Cobra 75WXST for a couple months. Problem was I tried to run it with a Cobra Antenna with magnetic base. This meant I had to bug @b0xcar at every wheelin outing to retune my CB with his SWR meter. So, I’m done with that. Bought the Teraflex Mount for Drivers side, 18’ Co Axial Cable, Co Axial Stud and, last but not least, the Firestik 3’ Antenna. Setup is tried and true! One more tune bro, then we can wheel unhindered. Shout out to @JamesAndTheSahara , been missing you bro! Nice to see you touch base.
56A67B16-B4A0-4BD3-A4B8-42D1650C4497.jpeg

CC263240-9772-48C8-80CB-D73C5068BA00.jpeg

9CC92AF7-AFCA-4E55-9BC3-E4CBAE0A624B.jpeg

Santa came early this year. As many of you know, ive been researching rock sliders for a long time, knowing I needed them rather than my beat up nerf bars stupid initial mod without consulting folks here.
C856D3BE-FA8F-44E4-A35B-524F871D9276.jpeg

B89D1C82-82FD-44AC-BA05-E5B62CC95C1C.jpeg

Using cost, function and others wisdom as my guidelines I decided on the JCR Crusaders. Big box.
E530B209-A18B-47AD-B421-B3B92ADC334D.jpeg

This is going to be a terrific and useful mod. Also picked up a JACO tire inflator with gauge to manage all the building pressures! More to come...

Last edited:
I decided to take a peak (pic) inside the box. It’s nice seeing the design firsthand. Welds look well done. The sliders (not pictured) have a perfect 45* for sliding. Backplates are ww2ww. I took the excellent advice of @Ranger_b0b, whose engineering background and creativity are a great help to me, to replace the 8 clips that hold the slider to the backplate with 5/16-18 rivnuts, on order and will be here Thursday so I can get to work. These will be professionally painted with 2K ceramic satin black.
7E234F04-1D07-47A8-BAD1-A6470166657A.jpeg

8362CC71-8890-4E1E-96E6-8B9F8D26BE76.jpeg

I decided to take a peak (pic) inside the box. It’s nice seeing the design firsthand. Welds look well done. The sliders (not pictured) have a perfect 45* for sliding. Backplates are ww2ww. I took the excellent advice of @Ranger_b0b, whose engineering background and creativity are a great help to me, to replace the 8 clips that hold the slider to the backplate with 5/16-18 rivnuts, on order and will be here Thursday so I can get to work. These will be professionally painted with 2K ceramic satin black.
View attachment 44786
View attachment 44787
I.think we need to call you Mr. Attention To Detail.... nice research and purchase.
When do you expect to begin, and end ?... and u know we need pics as you go :)

I.think we need to call you Mr. Attention To Detail.... nice research and purchase.
When do you expect to begin, and end ?... and u know we need pics as you go :)
I’m going to start with the prep on Friday, removing the fender flare extensions and first two bolts on front and rear flares so I can preload the backplate on the tub and mark my tub for 5/16” holes. I’ll also set the 8 rivnuts on the backplate that day and take an angle grinder to clean up any spots that need attention. It’s possible I could get them painted Monday, but I doubt it. After that I’m unbelievably busy for over a month, so it’s all up in the air from there. If I can get them painted and back home I can edge out the time to get them finished in July. With my strong desire to get these installed, I bet we’ll be seeing them completed in July. I’ll do a complete write-up as I go, just in case it can help someone, and I like to document everything I do with my TJ. Thanks for the kind words!