I'm finally done with so many car projects this month. I'm exhausted

• Complete cooling system replaced in the 2014 GMC Yukon
  • Fixed cooling system on 2004 TJ Sport by replacing thermostat (again)
  • Fixed 1991 Jeep XJ by replacing battery
  • Diagnosed 2005 Jeep TJ with need for starter and have the brush plate waiting in garage. Already cleaned the commutator.
  • Built 2005 TJR on Rockjock 4" springs, Rancho 5000X shocks, front and rear JKS adjustable trackbars, ZJ TR conversion, sway bar disconnects, rear extended way bar links, new calipers, bled brakes, painted axles, upper perches, cut, welded, fixed all rust along the way on the tub, frame, and bolts, bolts, bolts. OEM are soooo expensive, so we salvaged as many bolts as possible.
I am exhausted, but now I can get back to my rig. I'm about to get paid for my last 2022 job, so I'm ready to spend a bit and have a good time getting ready for Moab 2023! I don't know everything I want to do, but I'm very interested in the rear frame tuck. Aesthetically it is very pleasing. I'm also going to look at the backspacing for the TR flip. I have all the parts, but there doesn't look like enough room to flip it on the drivers side near the rim. My BS is 4.25". I want to bleed my brakes. I'd love to midarm, and I may have time this Spring. I'm looking at it, again.

Or, I'll just go smoke my new Savinelli pipe. Thanks wife!!!

Wow. That's a massive check list. Here I thought my days were packed.

Starting a bit early for a moab rebuild no lol. It all blends together but I think the only thing different this year for me will be the beadlocks. Which showed up a week or 2 after the last trip.

Are you still thinking of the Coyote locks?

Reactions: JMT
Wow. That's a massive check list. Here I thought my days were packed.

Starting a bit early for a moab rebuild no lol. It all blends together but I think the only thing different this year for me will be the beadlocks. Which showed up a week or 2 after the last trip.

Are you still thinking of the Coyote locks?

I thought Coyotes over. I thought Beadlocks over. I ended up on the Beadlock side, but didn’t want to drop the $$$. Got the Mamba’s to try the classic TJ look. They were cheap. I don’t like them much. Looking at 17”Beadlocks. I think that’s my ticket.

After all that work on other peoples cars, see @Squatch and @Wildman who are experts at helping others with their cars, I took a day to stand in the garage with beautiful sun shining in and knock some little stuff out.

1. New phone mount. My phone is too large for the other magnetic mount. This one is much better.
2. Rattle in the dash. Chasing it down with adhesive pads to dampen. Really irritating at idle. Hopefully solved, but I may have to dive back in.
3. Added two capfuls of brake fluid to the oil to see if it will solve my rms leak. If so I’ll move on with Blue Devil and replace my oil pan. If not I’m in for a rms job.
4. Replaced the hood catch. I finally found a stock replacement. Much better than the one I’d rigged up.
5. Painted my slider on the drivers side. I noticed it had faded and some rust around the bolts, so all removed and treated and put back together tomorrow.
6. Jeep has been pulling to the left a bit. I checked the alignment. It was spot on.
7. Aired up my tires after all the snow. The roads are clear. Yards are still covered.
8. Cleaned tools and garage after the TJR build. What a mess. It’s much better.
9. Checked my brake bleed bolts. They’re good. Came loose easy. I want to bleed them on Friday. It’s time.
10. Painted my Warn winch spool lever with 1K Clear Matte. It’s old and some rust had formed. I hope this resolves that issue.
It was a great day!

513A6DF6-1549-4051-AE5B-9A827A5A70D3.jpeg

C390BBA0-8122-41E9-BFD6-45946B72CA59.jpeg

DBFB00AC-9BF6-4224-BBED-820003F358BB.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about a floor jack for awhile. I don’t even have one. I have the jack/jack stands that have a square base and you use a small lever to pump them up and then lock them. They get the job done, but they are really slow and can be cumbersome to unlock. I saw @Irun got the 2 ton from HF. I’d looked at them many times, but his mention of aluminum to cut weight from 100lb to 38lb put me over the edge. Here’s a pic of the 2, 2.5, and 3 ton. I think I’m going for the 2.5 ton. It will weigh more than 38lb, but hopefully not more than 50lb, and it also lifts 18 5/8”.

D7156064-A514-4FF6-8937-82B2F20834D8.jpeg

I have the HF 3 ton steel floor jack and it works great, I do wish I'd stepped up to the 3 ton aluminum one

That’s good to know! I wasn’t even thinking about weight till I saw Irun post. I’m hoping it’s going to make my life much easier! I’m tired of getting on the ground to arrange the jack right under the axle. I’m also tired of a short lever and 300 pumps. 😩

The 3-ton version lifts to 19 1/8”. 2.5 ton to 18 5/8”. I assumed that 1/2” wasn’t worth the extra weight. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun and DrDmoney
That’s good to know! I wasn’t even thinking about weight till I saw Irun post. I’m hoping it’s going to make my life much easier! I’m tired of getting on the ground to arrange the jack right under the axle. I’m also tired of a short lever and 300 pumps. 😩

The 3-ton version lifts to 19 1/8”. 2.5 ton to 18 5/8”. I assumed that 1/2” wasn’t worth the extra weight. 🤷‍♂️

I went 3 ton because I have to lift the F250 with 35's too
I absolutely went aluminum when I got the ATV jack to remove skid plates and do the GTS

Reactions: Irun and JMT
Wish I had somewhere to work on my TJ other than a gravel drive, then I could use a trolley jack 😪

That just makes my heart ache. How do you get down on the ground? Cardboard? Blankets? Mats?

Reactions: UKTJ
I must have been under a rock because I dont think I have seen these aluminum jacks. My steel HF 3-ton jack feels like it weighs 300 lbs! Aluminum is very tempting...

I got one of those 1.5ton jacks and keep it in the trunk with my tools full time and they’re super nice. I’m pretty sure I could have fit the 2 ton in the back but I use a block for height if needed anyways. Would love to add the badlands or pro eagle style locking extension to it but those off topic.

3. Added two capfuls of brake fluid to the oil to see if it will solve my rms leak. If so I’ll move on with Blue Devil and replace my oil pan. If not I’m in for a rms job.

If you have a rear main leak now and are going to do a pan gasket I would recommend the rear main at the same time. It doesn’t make sense to do the job twice. The majority of the work will be removing the exhaust and pan.

Usually an old blanket and a good old British stiff upper lip 😂

I did that gravel driveway thing for many years. Even installed a Warn small hub kit, Warn rear full float kit, lockers in both axles with gears & a SYE all in my gravel driveway. I swapped between large pieces of cardboard & a tarp depending on what I was doing. I'm SO happy to have a garage to work in now.

If you have a rear main leak now and are going to do a pan gasket I would recommend the rear main at the same time. It doesn’t make sense to do the job twice. The majority of the work will be removing the exhaust and pan.

I’m not sure if my leak is from the pan or the RMS. The reason I’m not sure is I bashed my oil pan bad in 2017. Nothing came gushing out and everything seemed fine, so I just chocked it up as extra clearance. At some point, now long forgotten, I sprung a leak. I replaced the PCV valve and still had the leak. It’s a Jeep thing. For the longest I assumed it was the RMS. The leak wasn’t big. I put it off. Then I started using the conventional high mileage like JB says. That’s been a year and a half now. Still got a leak. Dawned on me it could be the pan. Saw Blaine’s post about the brake fluid. I’m going to try that. If my leak stops I’ll assume it’s the RMS. If not I’ll assume it’s the pan. If I do the pan I’ll take a look at the RMS. That’s my thinking…At this point I’m just tired of oil blowing all over under the Jeep.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
I must have been under a rock because I dont think I have seen these aluminum jacks. My steel HF 3-ton jack feels like it weighs 300 lbs! Aluminum is very tempting...

You could get some $$ back by selling the steel one on FB or CL.

Reactions: tworley and Wildman
I thought Coyotes over. I thought Beadlocks over. I ended up on the Beadlock side, but didn’t want to drop the $$$. Got the Mamba’s to try the classic TJ look. They were cheap. I don’t like them much. Looking at 17”Beadlocks. I think that’s my ticket.

If u do switch it up, i’ll be interested in buying those mamba’s off you

As for jacks i’ve got the HF daytona low profile, no issues

Reactions: JMT and UKTJ