Some good news: Adams is shipping my driveshaft back today. I’m not sure what the problem was yet, but I’ll find out later. Im anxious to get out in the Jeep. Days are short as we head into winter. It gets old pretty quick.

Also noticed that we have gas in the laundry room, so I could get a gas dryer and dedicate the 220 to the welder. Need to check with the wife on that, but if a new set is due in the future I’ll make the switch. Gas dryers dry faster and are more efficient.

Here for changing the polarity.

YES.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Ok. I need to go through the whole machine setup. YesWelder has some easy to follow videos and I have two neighbors that weld, so I should be good to go for some hands on help occasionally.

Plus you got US here.... You know that. Just ask and you'll get an answer. Not always what you want to hear but you'll get an answer.

Reactions: Irun and JMT
While I get ramped up to weld I am realizing I may have bit off more than I can chew. Starting in January I have two courses to teach (second job). I’m reading more and revising now, as well as writing quizzes that will auto grade on the learning software. My wife also wants to start a 6-day/week heavy weights workout system with me called body beast 🤣. It looks like my biggest challenge will be carving out the time to invest in acquiring a new skill. All in good time I guess. I’m still going shopping today!

Last edited:
While I get ramped up to weld I am realizing I may have bit off more than I can chew. Starting in January I have two courses to teach (second job). I’m reading more and revising now, as well as writing quizzes that will auto grade on the learning software. My wife wants to start a 6-day/week heavy weights workout system called body beast or something in January too. It looks like my biggest challenge will be carving out the time to invest in acquiring a new skill. All in good time I guess. I’m still going shopping today!
I bought a Miller back in March, to replace my cheap HF 110. I used the hell out of the HF welder, but needed something better. Since having the 211, I think I've used it twice. Both times to weld up a couple small pin holes on other projects. I even picked up a Spoolmate 150, thinking I'd like to try welding aluminum. Haven't used it once yet. There are lots of welding projects to work on, but no time. :cautious:

Plus you got US here.... You know that. Just ask and you'll get an answer. Not always what you want to hear but you'll get an answer.
Definitely. Happy to answer any questions. We are a wealth of collective knowledge.

By the way, to change the polarity, you hold the MIG gun in the opposite hand.

Next question.

I bought a Miller back in March, to replace my cheap HF 110. I used the hell out of the HF welder, but needed something better. Since having the 211, I think I've used it twice. Both times to weld up a couple small pin holes on other projects. I even picked up a Spoolmate 150, thinking I'd like to try welding aluminum. Haven't used it once yet. There are lots of welding projects to work on, but no time. :cautious:
Enough time to buy a hub kit before I could get to it. 😬🙄😉

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
welpers.

next is safety glasses, more sparks hit off my lid and bounce into my face than if i didn't have it on sometimes.

magnets are ok but clamping your project works best.

i prefer a thin leather glove on my project hand and no glove on my gun hand.
i'd rather have a good hat then sleeves never had need of a jacket or coat, my head gets burned all the time, but not much makes it through my work shirt sleeve, just regular old cintas uniform blues.

the most painful spot you can take a spark is eye, in the nose and into the ear. once you have burned one of those 2 (cause your gonna wear your glasses) you're bulletproof and the rest of the sparks become no more than a minor nuisance.
Just like regular shop safety glasses? Or something more like used in a chemistry lab which closes around your eyes?

Reactions: Wildman
Just like regular shop safety glasses? Or something more like used in a chemistry lab which closes around your eyes?

I just use regular safety glasses but since you wear contacts you might want a face shield since getting a piece of metal in your eye could be worse.

I just use regular safety glasses but since you wear contacts you might want a face shield since getting a piece of metal in your eye could be worse.
I dashed back into HF and grabbed some splash resistant safety goggles. Better safe than sorry

image.jpg

Grabbed a few clamps, some magnets, Tig welder gloves that are pretty thin a lot like deer skin, pliers and safety glasses. I already have some brushes at the house

image.jpg

If I’m going to weld on a bench top to practice, do I need to have some kind of covering over the wood? Do I need like a steel top or some kind of flame retardant material?

Do I need extra nozzle tips?

Having a steel bench top gives you a good place to ground your work. That ground clamp has to connect to what you want to weld.

If I’m going to weld on a bench top to practice, do I need to have some kind of covering over the wood? Do I need like a steel top or some kind of flame retardant material?
Yes, you'll want to put down something to keep from burning the wood depending on how close your weld joint is.

Do I need extra nozzle tips?

it's good to have some extra on hand, but as long as you don't try to bury the nozzle in your puddle, one will last a long time