Skis are being painted. I much prefer spray painting. I still have a ways to go. I’m keeping the original pattern, but changing the colors. The two small strips will be black and metallic silver, then 2K Matte Clear. They’ll match the boots (and the Jeep by default).

AD43295A-37ED-4982-B928-4FD52FE3A14F.jpeg

CAB46763-4094-40B5-BD8B-845B748E2C74.jpeg

3885C22F-651C-48DA-B6B5-42E700DD1107.jpeg

Last edited:
Skis are pretty much done. 2K matte clear. I’ll mount the bindings tomorrow and then it will be time to hit the slopes. I should add that these are fun little skis. They are a Freestyle ski. Very playful. Very fun. Great ski to thread through trees. They are 116-84-111. I wanted a bit wider waste, maybe 90, but these will get me through the season and I can always pick up a different style ski next year. My boots are fantastic, and the saying is, “Date skis; marry boots!”

6B9B7328-8983-4507-929D-1746204D10B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Skis are pretty much done. 2K matte clear. I’ll mount the bindings tomorrow and then it will be time to hit the slopes. I should add that these are fun little skis. They are a Freestyle ski. Very playful. Very fun. Great ski to thread through trees. They are 116-84-111. I wanted a bit wider waste, maybe 90, but these will get me through the season and I can always pick up a different style ski next year. My boots are fantastic, and the saying is, “Date skis; marry boots!”

View attachment 396468

Nice job on the skis! I broke my last pair about 20 years ago (they were too long for bump skiing and I ripped a binding out). Around that time, my kids got me into snow boarding and haven't looked back. Snow boards are awesome in the trees and on steep powder (like this in Park City).
park city.jpg

Then, looking for the above pic, I found this other winter activity pic I thought I'd toss in since I know you and your boys like MTB:
muddy bike.jpg

Nice job on the skis! I broke my last pair about 20 years ago (they were too long for bump skiing and I ripped a binding out). Around that time, my kids got me into snow boarding and haven't looked back. Snow boards are awesome in the trees and on steep powder (like this in Park City).
View attachment 396581
Then, looking for the above pic, I found this other winter activity pic I thought I'd toss in since I know you and your boys like MTB:
View attachment 396582

I’m a snowboarder too. I had one till a season or two ago when I sold it. Only reason is my back and neck. I’ve got issues, and trying to buckle in and push myself up just kills me! 🙄 It’s frustrating, but the reason I bought these skis.

That’s an epic pic of the steeps in Park City. Wanna go, wanna go. I’m from TX, so I’ve never seem slopes for more than 3 days in a season. This year I’ve got 4 days so far this season and next week we’ll be at Schweitzer for 2 more days. I hope to improve some, but I get antsy on jumps and stuff due to you know what.

Great pic of your son MTB too! Here we are today at Mt Spokane. Your Jeep is coming along great. Nice job on the regear. That’s a big undertaking.
C9C22F62-601C-43AA-B322-41AD0B3F4533.jpeg

A few MTB pics from WA and UT, and a few jeep pics in Moab to keep on topic. 🤣

5D1515B0-9259-4000-B84C-DCF5DEFA7330.jpeg

07BEB913-008D-4147-97E3-A72795532108.jpeg

83087BC6-4438-45F5-9C54-5CEF9B1B1A4A.jpeg

813CF614-2FC4-4207-B3DB-209D1519EBFB.jpeg

8D4D5D4C-7451-49F4-99A5-FD4E3ACCDF39.jpeg

0D89DE52-6780-42D5-B468-AA64B8EC4A3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like you had a beautiful day skiing👍
Love the Utah Jeep and bike pics too.
Thx for the build kudos. Always more to do. But it’s fun and I’m looking forward to Moab in June!

Reactions: JMT
Looks like you had a beautiful day skiing👍
Love the Utah Jeep and bike pics too.
Thx for the build kudos. Always more to do. But it’s fun and I’m looking forward to Moab in June!

Kinda wish I was slated to go with you guys in June. I’m in the April-May group. I looked at going to both, but I think it’s too much time away. You’ll do great in your rig! Let me know what trails you want/plan to run.

Reactions: Woodrow
Sorry you won't be there in June. I've not had a Jeep there so I figured I'd try to get some folks with local knowledge to let me tag along and do my best not to hurt or embarrass myself too much :rolleyes:. I'm also taking a bike. I did the Whole Enchilada several years back and really enjoyed that. I think @gasiorv is planning to MTB ride a little as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition and JMT
Sorry you won't be there in June. I've not had a Jeep there so I figured I'd try to get some folks with local knowledge to let me tag along and do my best not to hurt or embarrass myself too much :rolleyes:. I'm also taking a bike. I did the Whole Enchilada several years back and really enjoyed that. I think @gasiorv is planning to MTB ride a little as well.

Wow, the Whole Enchilada! We looked at it in 2021, but the part day we had set aside we ended up doing Captain Ahab. My sons really wanted to do the WholeEnchilada, but my guess was it would take an entire day, and for one, I wasn’t up for that, and two, we had an appointment for boating at 1pm. I’m sure Kaleb will do it one day. He’s a beast. He’s doing cycling this time of year so he’ll be able to hit it hard once the trails are open. I need to be more diligent and do something/anything to get in shape.

Yep. Its long (27 miles?). There is also a big elevation change. The saddle at Burro pass is 11,200 ft and you descend 7000 ft to the Colorado river. The day I did it, it was under 30 degree F at the shuttle drop (which is 1000 ft below the pass) and it was 105 degrees at the river. Layers and lotsa water. But although its an over used word IMO, it really was an epic ride. So many microclimates and varied terrain. Bucket lister for MTB. If your boys do it, I'd rec a full squishy bike (although I'd also do it on a hardtail if that was my only choice).

Yep. Its long (27 miles?). There is also a big elevation change. The saddle at Burro pass is 11,200 ft and you descend 7000 ft to the Colorado river. The day I did it, it was under 30 degree F at the shuttle drop (which is 1000 ft below the pass) and it was 105 degrees at the river. Layers and lotsa water. But although its an over used word IMO, it rally was an epic ride. So many microclimates and varied terrain. Bucket lister for MTB. If your boys do it, I'd rec a full squishy bike (although I'd also do it on a hardtail if that was my only choice).

They have a 150/140 and 170/160 now. I’m on a 120/120. I’m sure I could do it, but either of their bikes would be nicer. I believe your about right on the distance. Those are some intense weather changes. Wow! Kudos! I’m going to pass these posts on to Kaleb. He’ll love reading them.

Reactions: Woodrow
They have a 150/140 and 170/160 now. I’m on a 120/120. I’m sure I could do it, but either of their bikes would be nicer. I believe your about right on the distance. Those are some intense weather changes. Wow! Kudos! I’m going to pass these posts on to Kaleb. He’ll love reading them.

Their bikes sound perfect. The climbing ability of long travel 29'ers is just outstanding these days. I'm taking my 170/147 Ripmo in June. It is far superior both up and down to the 150/130 bike I had there just a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think Burro pass is officially open until July 1.

Reactions: JMT
Their bikes sound perfect. The climbing ability of long travel 29'ers is just outstanding these days. I'm taking my 170/147 Ripmo in June. It is far superior both up and down to the 150/130 bike I had there just a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think Burro pass is officially open until July 1.

I agree about the climbing ability of these longer travel 29’ers. I am on a 2019 Intense Sniper Trail. I was on the fence about selling it last August or rebuilding the drive train. I rebuilt the drive train. It’s practically new now and I think I want a longer travel bike. 🤣 oh well, a good time to sell since Spring is right around the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman and Woodrow
Yep. Its long (27 miles?). There is also a big elevation change. The saddle at Burro pass is 11,200 ft and you descend 7000 ft to the Colorado river. The day I did it, it was under 30 degree F at the shuttle drop (which is 1000 ft below the pass) and it was 105 degrees at the river. Layers and lotsa water. But although its an over used word IMO, it really was an epic ride. So many microclimates and varied terrain. Bucket lister for MTB. If your boys do it, I'd rec a full squishy bike (although I'd also do it on a hardtail if that was my only choice).

Full Squishy. I love that. I run a full squishy, and never again will I refer to it as fully suspended. 🙂

I’m not experiencing any leaks in the floorboard, but I keep reading of those who do. The solution is often to remove the cowl and clean it all out. Out of curiosity I removed mine. It was uneventful, but I cleaned out what was there.

A972F2C5-9630-496C-A6F3-FFE60E4D026E.jpeg

I occasionally heard static from my sound bar, plus I never got the 6.5” Polks recessed in the cut out, so they were not in sealed enclosures. I read a good thread explaining how to use adhesive weather seal to resolve it. I found the short causing static was a loose wire, and added the weather stripping. Walla. The sound system is now officially finished. With the sub and 6.5’s completely sealed it does sound significantly better.

49D68C3D-FF80-4B35-91D1-2C3EE4C53750.jpeg

I’m not experiencing any leaks in the floorboard, but I keep reading of those who do. The solution is often to remove the cowl and clean it all out. Out of curiosity I removed mine. It was uneventful, but I cleaned out what was there.

View attachment 397606

Your cowl area is now @Irun approved.

I occasionally heard static from my sound bar, plus I never got the 6.5” Polks recessed in the cut out, so they were not in sealed enclosures. I read a good thread explaining how to use adhesive weather seal to resolve it. I found the short causing static was a loose wire, and added the weather stripping. Walla. The sound system is now officially finished. With the sub and 6.5’s completely sealed it does sound significantly better.

View attachment 397610

You mean voilà? 🤣 I like the Latin for rock crawler though. Had to look that up.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT