Thanks bro! I was hoping to find some off camber stuff that day to really see how the locker performs when you lose complete traction on one tire. It's an obstacle like that that I don't think you can complete without a locker. You can see the rear tires slip a few times in that sequence, but the fronts just keep on keeping on. It really is a remarkable fee and well worth the $400.

Yeah first time wheeling sat in my LJR just at the Metalcloak event, I was out front so I don’t think anyone got photos but at the slightly sporty hill (#11), with an auto, 4L and throwing on front and rear lockers it felt a bit like cheating.

Reactions: JMT
I run Rubi flares.
I still can't decide if I'm going to go with aftermarket fenders or not (for more clearance). Like you my wife is short and she already has to run and pole vault to get in. If I go much higher, she won't enjoy getting in the Jeep. For many reasons I want to just go to 3.75" SL and go to 35's (down the line), but higher clearance fenders would allow me to do that and stay around 2.5-3" SL. So, maybe just paint the flares for now, save the mullah till I'm more certain where I want to go next. :)

Reactions: IPerkWVU and KCsTJ
Nice Obstacle man. That looked FUN! I've done the offcamber smash on mine too. Wasn't running the hardtop, but I got my windshield frame into a stump while I was running a cut like what you were in. It was rusty anyway, so I just replaced it...

When you had your tube step bars on your TJ, how often did they hit things when off road? I like the look of the rock sliders but my wife is short and has to use the steps to get into the jeep and even the sliders with steps will not help her much. I saw in 1 of your post you mentioned have a vertically challenged wife as well. Is she getting in/out of yours ok with the sliders? My wife is just around 5' tall. Thanks MOE

When you had your tube step bars on your TJ, how often did they hit things when off road? I like the look of the rock sliders but my wife is short and has to use the steps to get into the jeep and even the sliders with steps will not help her much. I saw in 1 of your post you mentioned have a vertically challenged wife as well. Is she getting in/out of yours ok with the sliders? My wife is just around 5' tall. Thanks MOE
You know, I was hitting the nerf bars. I've got some pics I can share of the damage. In fact, you can have my damaged one's if you come up and run some trails in the Hill Country or when I come to Houston in March of 2019. The nice thing was they were only about $100 and the damage was mostly to the bottom, but not just scrapes, also dents due to hitting rocks (they could be leaned up a bit). Over time they would have been an aesthetically obvious blemish.

The rock sliders I have are JCR Crusaders and they are higher clearance with a 3.5" step. They present a challenge for my 5' 5" wife to get into the Jeep (as well as my kids). I think they are a bit of a turn off to her. I personally step into the Jeep rather than use the slider. There are two solutions I think. One is to get a slider like @Chris, which is a happy medium. The other is to use a stirrup step. Here's an example of one, although I plan to make a homemade one.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/aspen-cowboy-stirrup-step-brown-8718-jeep-yj-tj-jk-jl.html

Reactions: Chris
I have nerf bars on mine already. I was just curious how they will do on the trails. I was just curious, I'm not going to do anything until the ones I have get damaged. I didn't know if anyone removed their nerf bars to go rockcrawling. I guess it's not anything I need to worry about it until I get offroad. Thanks, MOE

I have nerf bars on mine already. I was just curious how they will do on the trails. I was just curious, I'm not going to do anything until the ones I have get damaged. I didn't know if anyone removed their nerf bars to go rockcrawling. I guess it's not anything I need to worry about it until I get offroad. Thanks, MOE
The basic tube nerfs fold up easily. And usually into the body. They also rob you of valuable clearance under the cab sides. Honestly, for any serious off road you are probably better off without them

I did remove my nerf bars a few times I went rock crawlin. However, the area of the tub between the wheel wells is a very vulnerable spot. You probably know this, but when off-roading you put your tires on the big obstacles, so when you roll over them, they are liable to hit the tub and cause serious damage. That was one good thing about the nerf bars, they at least provided some protection for the tub.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I understand and see both of your points. Rob I have a short wife so rock sliders in the future or not I'll have to have something in place for her to get in/out of the jeep. I might consider looking for something that would be easy to remove when going offroad and reinstalling afterwards. I guess that was my original thought was a stirrup like JMT had mentioned but also thinking about a installation that would be easy to R&R if and when I ever make it offroad in my jeep. Thanks for all the inputs and points of view.

I understand and see both of your points. Rob I have a short wife so rock sliders in the future or not I'll have to have something in place for her to get in/out of the jeep. I might consider looking for something that would be easy to remove when going offroad and reinstalling afterwards. I guess that was my original thought was a stirrup like JMT had mentioned but also thinking about a installation that would be easy to R&R if and when I ever make it offroad in my jeep. Thanks for all the inputs and points of view.

My wife is 6 months pregnant and can just barely manage getting in and out (5’7”). But my 3’6” 3 year old can use the rock sliders to climb in and out no problem. Though I don’t anticipate a “lady” to want to do the same as it’s definitely not graceful.

There are many out there with steps/tubes for the wife. I only mentioned the inexpensive tube style nerfs as they are thin, bend easy, and mount poorly. I am 6'2" and prefer a step myself. Me and my hunting buds stand on them while glassing and such in the woods. Not to mention my wife is also 5" 1/4". I always make sure to mention the 1/4" or else I catch grief :D

This was a really cool video. I forgot we did this ledge. It’s in “portrait” just for you @Chris!

Haha... the teens and tweens would love you for this (portrait mode I mean).

Looks like fun though nonetheless!

The Jeep is gaining capability with the last few mods. More clearance between the wheels and more traction up front. I’ve got some necessities to take care of, like the Dana 44 and regear, but after that, and a lot of consideration of Genright and Savvy, I’m planning a TT with the UCF Original Extra Clearance Skid. I have had interference there as well as wanting to correct my driveline angles and shifter angles as the enter the console area. For now I’ll leave you with a few short videos of a run yesterday at Wolf Caves...

Late nights, early mornings, you do what you gotta do. The old nerf bars are finally gone. One last pic...bye
View attachment 45833

Obviously rock sliders were needed. This morning I mounted the sliders on the backplates. Used the jack to make sure they were fully seated on the tub before drilling the four 7/16” holes/side.
View attachment 45834
Plates are included in the floors for support.
View attachment 45835
View attachment 45836
Added the inner support which attaches to the front two seat bolts.

These are solid. I might prefer some black stainless bolts, but these might tie in well with the wheels. Not sure yet.
View attachment 45837

View attachment 45846
View attachment 45847
View attachment 45848
View attachment 45849
View attachment 45850

View attachment 45838
Hey @JMT, how are you liking the JCR sliders after some use, they are on my short list... Any concern that the backing plate doesn't cover the bottom tub around the wheel well close to the front / rear flares? That is my main hang up on their design. Also interested in your opinion @Ranger_b0b

Hey @JMT, how are you liking the JCR sliders after some use, they are on my short list... Any concern that the backing plate doesn't cover the bottom tub around the wheel well close to the front / rear flares? That is my main hang up on their design. Also interested in your opinion @Ranger_b0b
I've been needing to report back. I installed the JCR Crusader Sliders back in June. I've wheeled about 5-6x's since then. Because of the much higher clearance, I have yet to hit them on a rock.

Pros
- The clearance is great. On my rig 23". You can run over a nearly 2' rock with no worries. See pic below.
- The slider is solid, so it deflects debris like mud and rocks that would otherwise fling up on your rig. The DOM tube type sliders don't do this nearly as well.
- The backing plate is ww2ww along the edge
- The interior supports that run under the seat give needed stability

Cons
- The slider is not ww2ww underneath the tub. I've posted some pics showing the distance with OEM fenders that is left unprotected. For my purposes this has not been an issue, yet. My thinking is that if you wheel on a lot of larger moving rock you could be vulnerable. Otherwise, I think you're fine. Also, if you're planning on going to a fender that gives more clearance to the rear of the wheel well, then you will cut down on that gap. At least the backing plate is ww2ww there to give you some protection.
- The step is so high its virtually unusable. I just step in now. I'm 5'6" so it's a bit cumbersome. My wife is 5'5" and she quips that she has to 'run and jump' into the Jeep. To ameliorate this issue I'm going to make some stirrups for ingress and egress and hope they work well.
- bolts from underneath that go into the tub are too long. Make sure and cut them off ASAP (an easy fix)

Overall I am very pleased with the JCR sliders. Maybe consider TNT with some backing plates for support on the interior of the tub or go all out with Savvy or Genright.

Clearance
uWURfEj4QVGxIQlF+OgovQ.jpg

Front unprotected area (~5")
RgXUaARBQv67Tu4e%G7blQ.jpg

Rear unprotected area (~7")
JS7pD4fcTo60Hxqaf48usQ.jpg

I really like mine. I've been wheeling a couple of times with them, and haven't managed to hit them on anything yet, either. I will echo JMT's comments about the bolts being too long...though I'm hesitant to cut them down. I don't know how much "compression" is happening in that bolted joint. If I cut them and later remove the slider, will I have enough thread to start them again? I suppose I could just replace the bolts...

They are also far to high to be considered a entry step. That ledge makes a GREAT footrest for doorless driving though. Its also great for standing on and cleaning the top of the jeep! With the reinforcement to the tub that they have, they will make a great pivot point as well, if you get into the shit that far.

I'm not really worried about the unprotected area under the tub. In front, its mostly fender...in the rear, well, I've got rust, so that would just force me to fix it!

i say get them.

I've been needing to report back. I installed the JCR Crusader Sliders back in June. I've wheeled about 5-6x's since then. Because of the much higher clearance, I have yet to hit them on a rock.

Pros
- The clearance is great. On my rig 23". You can run over a nearly 2' rock with no worries. See pic below.
- The slider is solid, so it deflects debris like mud and rocks that would otherwise fling up on your rig. The DOM tube type sliders don't do this nearly as well.
- The backing plate is ww2ww along the edge
- The interior supports that run under the seat give needed stability

Cons
- The slider is not ww2ww underneath the tub. I've posted some pics showing the distance with OEM fenders that is left unprotected. For my purposes this has not been an issue, yet. My thinking is that if you wheel on a lot of larger moving rock you could be vulnerable. Otherwise, I think you're fine. Also, if you're planning on going to a fender that gives more clearance to the rear of the wheel well, then you will cut down on that gap. At least the backing plate is ww2ww there to give you some protection.
- The step is so high its virtually unusable. I just step in now. I'm 5'6" so it's a bit cumbersome. My wife is 5'5" and she quips that she has to 'run and jump' into the Jeep. To ameliorate this issue I'm going to make some stirrups for ingress and egress and hope they work well.
- bolts from underneath that go into the tub are too long. Make sure and cut them off ASAP (an easy fix)

Overall I am very pleased with the JCR sliders. Maybe consider TNT with some backing plates for support on the interior of the tub or go all out with Savvy or Genright.

Clearance
View attachment 65252
Front unprotected area (~5")
View attachment 65253
Rear unprotected area (~7")
View attachment 65254
I really like mine. I've been wheeling a couple of times with them, and haven't managed to hit them on anything yet, either. I will echo JMT's comments about the bolts being too long...though I'm hesitant to cut them down. I don't know how much "compression" is happening in that bolted joint. If I cut them and later remove the slider, will I have enough thread to start them again? I suppose I could just replace the bolts...

They are also far to high to be considered a entry step. That ledge makes a GREAT footrest for doorless driving though. Its also great for standing on and cleaning the top of the jeep! With the reinforcement to the tub that they have, they will make a great pivot point as well, if you get into the shit that far.

I'm not really worried about the unprotected area under the tub. In front, its mostly fender...in the rear, well, I've got rust, so that would just force me to fix it!

i say get them.

Thanks, lots of data points for me to consider... Those pictures is what I am a bit concerned about, not that I do too much rock climbing but as a TJ on 33s that runs with Jeeps w/ 35s & 37s I am looking for full coverage skids so I can keep up; if I had the $$, savvy would be an easy call.

Well I'm glad I didn't impulse buy them last night, I still may get them but this gives me a better idea of the setup. Appreciate the input!