2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - My Second Yellow Build

You got that right.

Silver is right up there with khaki. Does not show dust and dirt nearly as much as the darker colors.

But the goal is to show the mud isn't it? So yellow is the perfect color. Or I guess lime green.

I apologize @Damazzaro...I did not mean to clutter up your thread with tales of other Jeeps...I can move all this over to mine...

Don't worry about it, we're all here since we love TJs!

Reactions: psrivats
In the process of installing a new front bumper and wanting to paint the OEM rear bumper I wanted to get rid of some surface rust. The front was only a few specs around the screw holes, but the rear was obviously worse. I actually thought there might be some bad damage inside the frame. Upon inspection it seems it's all exterior and the interior is still nice and smooth. I'm stilling planning a weekend this summer to coat the inside of my frame as it's in excellent shape and I want to keep it that way. Anyway, enjoy a few photos of sanding, grinding, prepping, and painting.

You can also sort of see a few new things I put on. I'll update all of that once the installations are *fully* complete.

20180713_130135.jpg
20180713_133558.jpg
20180713_162705.jpg
20180712_135148.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
Boy oh boy was today somewhat of a mess. I've spent the last few days sanding, prepping and painting my calipers to similarly match my body color. I also installed my BM pads and Centric rotors. Well, during the break in procedure apparently my driver side front caliper was sticking and eventually heated up the caliper enough to ruin the paint. I still don't understand how I didn't feel this happening...or why it even happened. On the bright side I replaced the slide pins, bolts, and boots and everything works again. Which is odd because nothing seemed wrong with the pieces I had before. Oh well, just another reason why I don't plan on doing too many more paint jobs. Looks great but just isn't a functional mod.

20180714_205606.jpg
20180714_205544.jpg
20180718_155718.jpg
20180719_152119.jpg
20180719_152047.jpg

Also, the stopping power is ridiculous. I have 31s and the tires lock right up when I press hard on the brakes. Very happy with these brakes.

Every oil change I clean my brakes, I pull out the two pins with the rubber boot and clean it with a 2,000 grit sand, then stroke them with grease inside the assembly until I can slide it freely with my fingers.

My black Rubicon shows every single speck of dust even with a nice weekly handwash that I do. It's hard to keep it looking clean:(

I feel your pain, but man black looks great when clean! Have you tired Turtle wax Jet Black? Stuff works pretty well for the price & fills in swirl marks and scratches.

Every oil change I clean my brakes, I pull out the two pins with the rubber boot and clean it with a 2,000 grit sand, then stroke them with grease inside the assembly until I can slide it freely with my fingers.

I'm probably going to start doing today now. The pins slid pretty easily when I first installed them, so I assumed they were still good. The only thing I can think of is there might've been too much grease on the outside of the boot and it slipped off.

Today went a lot better. I painted the headlight bezels, headlight retaining clip, installed some new cheap LED headlights, got the front bumper installed, and put in some black grill inserts.

Jeep Wrangler Headlights 7 Inch Round... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLLAJOQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I know, I know. It has a Halo ring. I actually really like the look of it. And what's cool is I wired up the halos to the factory parking lights switch, so no awkwardly placed switches.

EAG 97-06 Jeep Wranngler TJ Grille... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YRO2PWQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I liked the gloss finish of these, and they just pop in. No need for 3M tape.

EAG 87-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ/YJ Front Bumper With D-Rings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797T1XQ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I actually bought this off eBay for a reduced rate, but here's the link for Amazon.

20180705_121711.jpg
20180625_181442.jpg
20180706_202649.jpg
20180706_202642.jpg
20180712_154426.jpg
20180712_154438.jpg

Reactions: DA RUNT and Chris
Not a fan of the grill inserts, but otherwise I dig it. The yellow calipers should compliment the Jeep nicely. Looks like it might be time for some larger tires? :p

Reactions: Damazzaro
Not a fan of the grill inserts, but otherwise I dig it. The yellow calipers should compliment the Jeep nicely. Looks like it might be time for some larger tires? :p

What I like is if I don't want the inserts anymore they pop right out without having to get rid of adhesive residue.

I'm looking to purchase a lift and make the jump to 33s once I've been at my job for a few months (recent college graduate) Trying not to dump a lot of money too fast, lol. It's so hard though

Reactions: DA RUNT and Chris
Trying not to dump a lot of money too fast, lol. It's so hard though

You're telling me... see my build thread if you want a case of pure impulsiveness. These things are seriously addicting!

Saving up is the right thing to do though. Make sure you get a good lift and do it right from the start. I wish I'd taken that advice years ago when I first got into TJs.

You're telling me... see my build thread if you want a case of pure impulsiveness. These things are seriously addicting!

Saving up is the right thing to do though. Make sure you get a good lift and do it right from the start. I wish I'd taken that advice years ago when I first got into TJs.

Ya I've read your build thread and actually plan to get some of those things. As for the lift, you guys pretty much convinced me to get most of my lift from Currie/Savvy. Just gotta wait until spending 3.5k on a lift and tires is appropriate.

Ya I've read your build thread and actually plan to get some of those things. As for the lift, you guys pretty much convinced me to get most of my lift from Currie/Savvy. Just gotta wait until spending 3.5k on a lift and tires is appropriate.

I love Currie / Savvy stuff. I especially like the fact that most of it is aluminum, so you can save some weight, and be much better off in terms of corrosion resistance.

But yeah, you've got it about right. 3.5k is around what it would take to put a really nice lift on a TJ and do it right... with tires too!

I completely understand why people can sell their heavily modified TJs for ridiculous amounts of money. Because if you know anything about Jeeps, you'll know how much money goes into some of these builds, and all of a sudden it makes sense!

I love Currie / Savvy stuff. I especially like the fact that most of it is aluminum, so you can save some weight, and be much better off in terms of corrosion resistance.

But yeah, you've got it about right. 3.5k is around what it would take to put a really nice lift on a TJ and do it right... with tires too!

I completely understand why people can sell their heavily modified TJs for ridiculous amounts of money. Because if you know anything about Jeeps, you'll know how much money goes into some of these builds, and all of a sudden it makes sense!
Corossion resistance is a must where I live. Michigan isn't kind to normal cars, let alone TJs. I'm happy with the shape of my frames integrity. There's really only surface rust on most portions and the inside is rather clean. Probably going to buy a cheap daily driver before the winter hits and there's piles of salt at every street corner.

Reactions: Chris
Corossion resistance is a must where I live. Michigan isn't kind to normal cars, let alone TJs. I'm happy with the shape of my frames integrity. There's really only surface rust on most portions and the inside is rather clean. Probably going to buy a cheap daily driver before the winter hits and there's piles of salt at every street corner.

Put some Fluid Film on it too. Or even better, take a wire wheel to the surface rust areas, get it all off, and then re-paint it with some black paint. Good as new!

But yeah, if I lived where you live, I would NOT drive my TJ in the Winter, not a chance. That salt just destroys things in short order.

Put some Fluid Film on it too. Or even better, take a wire wheel to the surface rust areas, get it all off, and then re-paint it with some black paint. Good as new!

But yeah, if I lived where you live, I would NOT drive my TJ in the Winter, not a chance. That salt just destroys things in short order.

Snapchat-1039092317.jpg

I actually spent a little time last week with the angle grinder with a wire brush and cleaned a portion of the frame to respray. Most of the rust is on the welds and machine cut holes. I'll definitely look into fluid film! I'm thinking of doing Eastwood internal frame paint in the next few weeks.

The Eastwood stuff works great as well. Paint the inside of the frame with that stuff, and the outside with Fluid Film, after you use the wire wheel of course. That should make it last as long as you live at least!

Decided that the factory reverse lights and sound bar lights were just not bright enough for me. Replaced them with some nice LEDs.

1156 Reverse Light Bulbs,AUXITO 1400... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PTTG18/?tag=wranglerorg-20

LUYED 2 X 570 Lumens Super Bright... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177DD3E2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Happy with both. They definitely emit more light than stock.

20180722_215659.jpg
20180722_220002.jpg
20180722_220442.jpg
20180716_002322.jpg

On a side note, I don't know how I feel about the factory fog lamps mounted where they are now. The OEM fog lights just feel too large in my opinion.

20180712_154438.jpg
20180722_204217.jpg

Also looking to replace my parking lamp / brake light bulbs to be brighter LEDs. I'd prefer people really tell when I press on my brakes. When I'm following TJs I somewhat feel that brake light needs to be brighter, especially when someone has a slight layer of dust/mud on them.

The Eastwood stuff works great as well. Paint the inside of the frame with that stuff, and the outside with Fluid Film, after you use the wire wheel of course. That should make it last as long as you live at least!

Something interesting is that Seafoam DeepCreep may actually be better than FluidFilm.

Reactions: Damazzaro and Chris