2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - My Second Yellow Build

@VirtualRussel and @Ted05Rubi are for sure. There is also @UPJOHN who lives in Bessemer I believe. Some others, but they don't post much.

Looks like VirtualRussel lives at least in the same city as me. Probably seen him driving around at some point or another. Glad there's still some Michigan rust-belt enthusiasts on the forums.

Decided to finally detail my interior since I purchased the Jeep. There was a good bit of dog hair under the rear seat. And really it just needed a good cleaning. Well, I found a neat little compass/stopwatch.

20180723_200002.jpg
20180723_200014.jpg

Reactions: Damazzaro
Yes, much better fog light location. They looked absolutely silly in the previous location.

Yes, much better fog light location. They looked absolutely silly in the previous location.
New location is much better! Good job!

Thanks! On my previous wrangler I had the "xrc" looking front bumper and I really liked the location it moved the fog lights to. I wanted to do that with this one, but like you said it looked kind of silly. Much happier with this location, and I didn't have to splice and lengthen the factory fog light cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Installed the Body Armor 4x4 rear bumper

Body Armor 4x4 TJ-2994Black Standard Design Rear Bumper for Jeep 1987-1996 YJ and 1997-2006 TJ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007G5SJAU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20180816_164535.jpg
20180816_164613.jpg
20180816_164545.jpg
20180816_164607.jpg

I purchased it off eBay during that 15% coupon code day, and offered the lister a discounted price. Overall got it for about $215 shipped which is a great save, in my opinion. Also very impressed with all their welds on both the front and rear of the bumper. If you want to purchase it look on eBay, it's going to be a good bit cheaper.

Did an audio upgrade. Really only speakers but eventually plan on a new head unit and amplifiers. The 5.25" sound pod adapters really, really make a difference in my opinion. I can actually hear music coming from in front of me now.

Select Increments DPE03065 Dash-Pods... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T1AB28Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Polk Audio DB522 DB+ Series 5.25"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EZWFNKA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

2x Polk Audio 6.5" 300W 2 Way... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WKBCJG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20180823_180737.jpg
20180823_175839.jpg
20180823_180742.jpg

Installed the mopar rocker rails with side steps. Previously had the bodyarmor 4x4 side steps but really like these one. They also mount in the factory holes, which is pretty nifty.
20180926_195803.jpg
20180926_195757.jpg
20180926_195749.jpg
20180926_210255.jpg
20180926_210033.jpg
20180926_210015.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Very nice. I am also running the body armor ones on my TJR with the factory rails. What you think is better on these ones in comparison?

The only two things that can be arguably better are 1. Since they are connected to the body there's much less chance of any metal bending or sheering and 2. If you install a body lift it will not affect the look of the side rails. The 2nd reason is why I ultimately pulled the trigger on they. They look very similar to the bodyarmor ones, just sit ~2 inches higher.

Reactions: psrivats
The only two things that can be arguably better are 1. Since they are connected to the body there's much less chance of any metal bending or sheering and 2. If you install a body lift it will not affect the look of the side rails. The 2nd reason is why I ultimately pulled the trigger on they. They look very similar to the bodyarmor ones, just sit ~2 inches higher.

Good points.

@Chris I still see new ones on eBay. You should consider a pair to hide the gap from your body lift . It'll go very nicely with your bumpers.

Did you recently repaint it? It looks immaculate on the underside of the body.

Yep, when I removed the stock Rubicon rails last weekend I figured it was a great time to get everything down to bare betal and redo the paint.
20180916_151823.jpg
20180916_151837.jpg

I took my $25 endoscope and looked inside of the body mount cavity. Hardly any surface rust so I sprayed some Eastwood frame coat in there (the green stuff). Happy now that it's all clean.

Reactions: psrivats
Yep, when I removed the stock Rubicon rails last weekend I figured it was a great time to get everything down to bare betal and redo the paint.
View attachment 56913 View attachment 56914

I took my $25 endoscope and looked inside of the body mount cavity. Hardly any surface rust so I sprayed some Eastwood frame coat in there (the green stuff). Happy now that it's all clean.

Job well done! Definitely looks like new! I like those sliders a lot too. I currently have the BodyArmor 4x4 ones like you did, and I've been thinking about doing this Mopar ones as well.

Good points.

@Chris I still see new ones on eBay. You should consider a pair to hide the gap from your body lift . It'll go very nicely with your bumpers.

Trust me, I was just thinking about this the other day. It would serve as a step, and it would hide the body lift.

Job well done! Definitely looks like new! I like those sliders a lot too. I currently have the BodyArmor 4x4 ones like you did, and I've been thinking about doing this Mopar ones as well.

Thank you! Would've been an easier job if I could flip the Jeep over but sadly that's not an option, haha.

@Damazzaro great job on the paint. Looks really really nice man!

Trust me, I was just thinking about this the other day. It would serve as a step, and it would hide the body lift.

I'm tempted to get this one as well, seeing as it's MOPAR. However, I'll add that I like the somewhat rough texture that the stock rails and the Body armor steps add. It breaks the montotonic look on my black TJ. Do you think the strength/functionality of these ones that @Damazzaro posted is better than the combo you and I have? That would make me replace it for sure.

@Damazzaro great job on the paint. Looks really really nice man!

I'm tempted to get this one as well, seeing as it's MOPAR. However, I'll add that I like the somewhat rough texture that the stock rails and the Body armor steps add. It breaks the montotonic look on my black TJ. Do you think the strength/functionality of these ones that @Damazzaro posted is better than the combo you and I have? That would make me replace it for sure.

I'm not entirely sure. The BodyArmor 4x4 ones seem pretty strong since they are bolted to the frame. But if you aren't dragging it through the rocks, I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

I like the ones I have, but after the body lift, these Mopar ones look more appealing since they would have no crack.