Colorado 4x4 trip

Added to Calendar: 06-22-19

Cotril

Supporting Member
Hello All
I'm thinking of putting together a trip up Kelly Flats or Moody Hill. In northern Colorado Fort Collins area. Sometime around middle of June meet at the north King Soopers at nine in the morning. On a Saturday. June 2,9 or the 23. What do you think?

June 2, 9, and 23 are all Sundays. I think most would prefer Saturday (if thats what you meant), in case of troubles on the trail

I'll tentatively put it on my schedule...

I could potentially do June 22. I haven't done much in the Fort Collins area.

I am open for the 1st or the 22nd. As of right now nothing is on my schedule for those dates. As to the trails--I think Kelly Flats sounds better and possibly less crowded but I could be convinced to run either one.

Official date--June 22nd

Now we just need to decide which trail.

Kelly Flats, according to Trailsoffroad, is rated Moderate (5-7). 3 hours from start to finish (roughly).

Moody Hill is rated between 4-9. 9 being the quarry. 45 min from start to finish (determined on how much one would play in the quarry).

My vote is for Kelly flats, but I am open for either one.

How far apart are they? Would it be possible to do both trails in one day?

The way the crow flies probably 10 miles?

Otherwise Kelly Flats is NW of FoCo up the Poudre Canyon a ways, Moody Hill is west of Horsetooth Reservoir

I have ran Moody Hill then Kelly Flats then seven Mile backwards all in one day. Yes we can do both with a small group.
Other trips. I would like to do are
Spring Creek by Downeyville and
Red cone. Any one know these trails?

A few of us did spring creek last year, its definatly an annual run for me, one of my favorite trails. The gatekeeper is challenging, and there is a fun rock garden sections as well. 35" tires and a locker unless your a skilled driver in a well set up tj with 33's

... unless your a skilled driver in a well set up tj with 33's

I winched myself through without a rear locker. Hopefully I'll be fully functional the next time.

Red Cone is slightly more technical than Black Bear, and slightly easier to get yourself killed. It's a really great trail that might have mountain goats wandering around.

Red Cone > Radical Hill > Saints John makes for a good day.

+1 for at least Kelly Flats. Looks like a nice drive with a few awesome obstacles for the bigger rigs/more experienced drivers.

I winched myself through without a rear locker. Hopefully I'll be fully functional the next time.

Red Cone is slightly more technical than Black Bear, and slightly easier to get yourself killed. It's a really great trail that might have mountain goats wandering around.

Red Cone > Radical Hill > Saints John makes for a good day.
I don't remember much whinching other than the gatekeeper. I do remember you having no rear locker though. Did you get that fixed yet?

I don't remember much whinching other than the gatekeeper. I do remember you having no rear locker though. Did you get that fixed yet?
The second half of the rock garden. I probably could have driven it, but I was impatient. :)

Not fixed yet. Didn't have it for Chinaman either. I'm waiting for that vehicle lift down south to get finished. It will save some time in the day not pulling the axle, especially if we need to do a full gear setup.

Reactions: strumble8