A recipe for an affordable but quality 2.5" lift

I have a question for you guys that have done this lift. I’m in the process of installing 2” coils and the rancho’s (no body lift yet). I’m cycling the front suspension to see what bump stops I need. I’ve got the springs out, but the shocks in, the track bar connected, but the sway bar disco’ed. 30.5” tires. Measuring cup-to-spring base. At full shock compression, I’m measuring that I need 2-3/8” of bump stop. (Just call it 2.5”) Based on what I’ve read, that seems like a lot of bump stop. Especially for the 30” tires I have. Am I doing something wrong here? How much bump stop did you guys have to use?

I have a question for you guys that have done this lift. I’m in the process of installing 2” coils and the rancho’s (no body lift yet). I’m cycling the front suspension to see what bump stops I need. I’ve got the springs out, but the shocks in, the track bar connected, but the sway bar disco’ed. 30.5” tires. Measuring cup-to-spring base. At full shock compression, I’m measuring that I need 2-3/8” of bump stop. (Just call it 2.5”) Based on what I’ve read, that seems like a lot of bump stop. Especially for the 30” tires I have. Am I doing something wrong here? How much bump stop did you guys have to use?
Got a pic?
Are you measuring cup edge or center of the cup?

Every Jeep is different. When the shock just gets to full compression, how much gap is between the perch and the cup? A picture would help as well.

Got a pic?
Are you measuring cup edge or center of the cup?
I’m going to answer my own question here, and share how absent minded I am. Maybe a learning experience for someone else. When you are disassembling and may notice your bump stop cup is rusty and could use some fresh paint, it’s very easy to do. Just be sure you put the bump stop cup back on before you take measurements. 😁
277949C7-F4BD-4655-9394-E8F9AC826540.jpeg

I’m going to answer my own question here, and share how absent minded I am. Maybe a learning experience for someone else. When you are disassembling and may notice your bump stop cup is rusty and could use some fresh paint, it’s very easy to do. Just be sure you put the bump stop cup back on before you take measurements. 😁View attachment 245445
hahaha. That explains the large bump stop requirement.

I must admit I'm feeling a little bit confused with the post. Do you have any picture? Probably this would help.

** first post here

Thanks for this write up. I ended up going with most of these items other than the body lift. I also added adj front and rear track bars.

Quick question - I’ve let it settle for about 3 weeks now and there’s still a pretty large amount of rake with the 2” procomp springs without the spacers. I’m showing the rear as being 1.8” higher than the front. I’d like to throw the .75 spacers in to level it out but I’m afraid it might develop vibes and I’m happy with how it drives right now.

Would adding the .75 spacer to the front affect the driveline vibes?

Go ahead and add the spacers to the front. When you decrease the rake, seems like you're actually decreasing the rear drivetrain angles and less likely to get vibes. You should be fine!

Reactions: Weasellee
** first post here

Thanks for this write up. I ended up going with most of these items other than the body lift. I also added adj front and rear track bars.

Quick question - I’ve let it settle for about 3 weeks now and there’s still a pretty large amount of rake with the 2” procomp springs without the spacers. I’m showing the rear as being 1.8” higher than the front. I’d like to throw the .75 spacers in to level it out but I’m afraid it might develop vibes and I’m happy with how it drives right now.

Would adding the .75 spacer to the front affect the driveline vibes?
You'll be fine adding the spacers.

I just installed 2" springs along with the .75 spacer up front along with the Rancho shocks. I removed a 3" BL and replaced with a 1.25 and 1" MML. Just a very slight occasional vibration. I don't think it's driveline. I'm guessing the motor mount lift....poly or the 33x12.5 tires. I'm happy with the set up, but it's much taller than expected. New steering damper is on the way, yet to balance the tires and I'm debating on removing the BL and MML.

Thank you so much for this thread. Just wanted to share the results. This is my ‘97 SE after doing the 2” procomp, rancho 5k(0”-2”), with .75 spacers up front and the OME rear bracket. Full disclaimer, this is only minutes after setting the rear end down, so I think she will settle a little. The front was done a week or two ago.
All done alone in a 9’ wide garage with basic tools, so it CAN be done. I’ve officially caught the bug. More to come.
40124997-A3AC-4B0F-B1ED-C0CA371FA792.jpeg

Absolutely this can be done at home. I was pretty intimidated starting this project, but with the hints here it was pretty easy. I gathered my parts and swapped them last Monday. It took me most of the day....I was setting my bump stops and realized I forgot to put the jounce cup back on......out comes the spring again. All bolted up but waiting on my new jounce bumpers to arrive on Weds. With jounce in hand I found it impossible to squeeze the bumper through the installed springs...out comes the springs again. By my 3rd removal I was getting pretty quick at it!
At my age I find the hardest part of these projects is finding the wrench,,,,I was just using....laying around me on the floor :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you so much for this thread. Just wanted to share the results. This is my ‘97 SE after doing the 2” procomp, rancho 5k(0”-2”), with .75 spacers up front and the OME rear bracket. Full disclaimer, this is only minutes after setting the rear end down, so I think she will settle a little. The front was done a week or two ago.
All done alone in a 9’ wide garage with basic tools, so it CAN be done. I’ve officially caught the bug. More to come.View attachment 248647
Very nice. How hard was the relocation bracket? Im getting the same setup except was thinking bout just going with an adjustable track bar instead.

Very nice. How hard was the relocation bracket? Im getting the same setup except was thinking bout just going with an adjustable track bar instead.
The hardest part for me was the whole finger fumbling thing of trying to get nuts into a very tight space (insert joke here). Not impossible, but frustrating at best. I would have probably spent the extra pennies on an adjustable bar, if that eliminates the need for the bracket (I don’t know if it does). But, I did it on the ground and not on a lift, so maybe that is a factor. Either way, I got it done, but was the most frustrating thing of this whole lift process. I can’t give a better recommendation for a step drill bit than in this application.

I was setting my bump stops and realized I forgot to put the jounce cup back on......out comes the spring again. All bolted up but waiting on my new jounce bumpers to arrive on Weds. With jounce in hand I found it impossible to squeeze the bumper through the installed springs...out comes the springs again.
It took me most of the day....I was setting my bump stops and realized I forgot to put the jounce cup back on......out comes the spring again. All bolted up but waiting on my new jounce bumpers to arrive on Weds. With jounce in hand I found it impossible to squeeze the bumper through the installed springs...out comes the springs again. By my 3rd removal I was getting pretty quick at it!

I went through a similar ordeal. And it all comes from me not knowing the terminology difference between “jounce bumpers” and “bump stops”. It all makes sense once you get in there, but a first timer (as I was) may not have ever heard the term “jounce”. I thought they were interchangeable. I’m posting this as an FYI to others trying this for the first time. Hi kids. Search the term “jounce bumpers”.

Hopefully this thread serves as a resource to others. You're much better off piecing your own lift together as oppose to buying a "kit" in most cases.

Thanks, @Chris and @CodaMan!

As the proud new owner of a 2000 TJ Sport 4.0 (w/Dana 44 rear end), this is exactly what I needed.

In fact, I have ordered exactly this list of parts this morning with the exception of the Rokmen ½" BL kit. I couldn't find it in stock, so I ordered a TeraFlex 1" aluminum BL kit.

I also order a set of 5 Pro Comp 97 Series Rock Crawler with new 32x11.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 tires mounted and balanced.

Everything should be here by 6/1/2021.

Now, I have a question. I'm not a mechanic. The most "advanced" thing I've done is changing brakes, drums, and/or rotors on several vehicles. Is this a DIY or should I have my mechanic handle all of this for me?

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks, @Chris and @CodaMan!

As the proud new of a 2000 TJ Sport 4.0 (w/Dana 44 rear end), this is exactly what I needed.

In fact, I have ordered exactly this list of parts this morning with the exception of the Rokmen ½" BL kit. I couldn't find it in stock, so I ordered a TeraFlex 1" aluminum BL kit.

I also order a set of 5 Pro Comp 97 Series Rock Crawler with new 32x11.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 tires mounted and balanced.

Everything should be here by 6/1/2021.

Now, I have a question. I'm not a mechanic. The most "advanced" thing I've done is changing brakes, drums, and/or rotors on several vehicles. Is this a DIY or should I have my mechanic handle all of this for me?
If you can change brakes, installing a lift is pretty darn easy, especially this height. It would make it easier if you had someone to supervise you and help out who knew what they were doing. It’s not inherently difficult, but it’s nice to have the eyes of somebody who has done it before just to assist.

Reactions: TJRicochet