Bronco vs. Wrangler

Agreed!

To be super fair tho... it looked like a pretty safe mid pit.

I've seen too many sunken boulders disable vehicles as they fly through the muddy pit.
Having wheeled at Interlake a couple times, I can tell you that looks can be deceiving. Maybe Bronco dude learned a lesson also.

Reactions: Sancho
In his follow up video he says the differential has to be completely replaced as it is a sealed, non-serviceable unit. That's 👎

Video of the fix, the blown up gears and busted CV...

He did it himself as the Ford dealership still hadn't gotten even info on warranty coverage or parts ordered.

Reactions: SvtLdr

He did it himself as the Ford dealership still hadn't gotten even info on warranty coverage or parts ordered.
Ford dealer probably couldn't do it anyway.

I asked the Jeep dealer about regearing my LJ and they said $5000 + parts. That's FU money, so I bought the tools and parts and did it myself.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Noslo65 and SvtLdr
Ford dealer probably couldn't do it anyway.

I asked the Jeep dealer about regearing my LJ and they said $5000 + parts. That's FU money, so I bought the tools and parts and did it myself.

I wouldn't trust a dealer tech as far as I could throw him to do a gear setup. I worked for a year as a Toyota tech and didn't see one single carrier removed from a housing. I was young and inexperienced so I got oil changes, tires, alignments, suspension, brakes, interior type work. The experienced guys got stuff like head gaskets and heater cores and diagnosis/troubleshooting (it was shocking how many times we'd get "the engine sounds different/check engine light is on" and hadn't had an oil change in 25k miles).

Not one R&P.

I know a Jeep dealer probably gets a few more, but do I want a vasectomy from the guy that's done 11,000 of them or the guy that does a couple each year?

I wouldn't trust a dealer tech as far as I could throw him to do a gear setup. I worked for a year as a Toyota tech and didn't see one single carrier removed from a housing. I was young and inexperienced so I got oil changes, tires, alignments, suspension, brakes, interior type work. The experienced guys got stuff like head gaskets and heater cores and diagnosis/troubleshooting (it was shocking how many times we'd get "the engine sounds different/check engine light is on" and hadn't had an oil change in 25k miles).

Not one R&P.

I know a Jeep dealer probably gets a few more, but do I want a vasectomy from the guy that's done 11,000 of them or the guy that does a couple each year?
I figured they might farm it out to someone.

Watched the video some. Dirt lifestyle nate recently added an ARB to that type of diff on his Tacoma, I don't see why they'd say it's sealed and can't be rebuilt.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while as I haven’t seen any reviewers point it out but I guess that answers my question of the strength and upgrade path of a lower end bronco.

The lower trims of the bronco come with the aluminum front diff higher trims with a locker get the cast iron. Can’t rebuild the front end, probably can’t add a locker either.

Pretty pathetic imo seems you need to get the higher end unit to get an upgrade able bronco, where a base Jeep comes with a fairly strong diff that’s at least serviceable and can be locked.

Reactions: SvtLdr and Sancho
I am hoping this is just growing pains for the bronco.

Busting an axle happens.... but not having the ability to fix components cuz its a sealed axle?

Not smart.

Reactions: SvtLdr
insane-horse.gif

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
sorry if I'm late to this realization...but did Jeep name the YJ after a cowboy to imply some level of superiority to the 4x4 named after a horse?

Reactions: GaTechTJ