CB or VHF?

I highly recommend taking a look at https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com If you are serious about getting your license. This is the most fool proof easy way to actually learn the material you will find.

Do the free trial which will give you about 1/4 of what you need to see how it works, and decide if you want to pay the $25 he charges for the course. It is much less expensive than purchasing study material you need and is all included in his program.

If you register for the free trial, it will take you to where you left off each time you log in, and if you decide to pay it will keep going from there. No need start over.

It is set up to actually teach you the reasons to select the correct answers on the exam. Each question has a click spot taking you to the rule or regulation, or the circuit diagram, or what ever pertinent data is involved in that question. He drills the information into you until you actually understand and know the material.

I have seen at least 20-25 people use it and be close to acing their test the first try. Most people are ready to take their test in two to three weeks studying about an hour or so a day. He has practice exams built in, study until you feel you are ready. His upgrade materials for General and Extra are great also. WB5Y

I highly recommend taking a look at https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com If you are serious about getting your license. This is the most fool proof easy way to actually learn the material you will find.

Do the free trial which will give you about 1/4 of what you need to see how it works, and decide if you want to pay the $25 he charges for the course. It is much less expensive than purchasing study material you need and is all included in his program.

If you register for the free trial, it will take you to where you left off each time you log in, and if you decide to pay it will keep going from there. No need start over.

It is set up to actually teach you the reasons to select the correct answers on the exam. Each question has a click spot taking you to the rule or regulation, or the circuit diagram, or what ever pertinent data is involved in that question. He drills the information into you until you actually understand and know the material.

I have seen at least 20-25 people use it and be close to acing their test the first try. Most people are ready to take their test in two to three weeks studying about an hour or so a day. He has practice exams built in, study until you feel you are ready. His upgrade materials for General and Extra are great also. WB5Y

That’s my favorite one. I got my GROL using the GROL site. It not only makes you memorize it but you actually learn the material.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a HAM license the past year but technical stuff tend to make my eyes glaze over. Keep us updated, this thread has already got me motivated to get my rear moving and get a study guide!
I am now known as "KN4SMO", KiloNovember4SierraMikeOscar

You can follow the links Mr. Bill has posted for REALLY GOOD study guides. Thanks Mr. Bill for posting them I used his recommendations and passed my exam no sweat.

For a starter radio, it's hard to beat one of the cheap Chinese ones. Baofeng has a model that's less than $25: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/?tag=wranglerorg-20. That will get you going and give you something to work with so you can think about what you want for a mobile rig.

I went for the version with more transmit power: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/?tag=wranglerorg-20. I've been happy enough with it that I haven't felt the need to rush into getting something nicer.

That said, these Chinese radios aren't exactly easy to use, and the quality is questionable. You definitely need a USB programming cable to configure them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CP0I474/?tag=wranglerorg-20. And you need to spend some time actually reading the manual to figure the thing out.

I think the Kenwood 2M radio is pretty popular for off-roaders around here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007470C0A/?tag=wranglerorg-20. Yaesu and Icom have comparable models that are a little more expensive. I'm holding out for a nice dual-band Icom rig with GPS, but the nicer radios get expensive.
Ham radio is a wonderful addition to your Jeep, I recommend the Diamond SG-7900 dual band antenna, it is a 5/8 wave gain antenna for 145mhz and 440mhz that DOES NOT require a ground plane to work well! I use it on my motorcycle and get 75 miles easy on 50 watts to repeaters. You can use an external antenna with a handheld to increase your range! Be that guy who calls for help when everybody Else's Iphone craps out!

Reactions: fuse
Overclocked says things are going GMRS

Sure, and it would do well for 1-3 miles in local communications...
But with Ham you can easily get 75 miles for those times when crap happens
and you need more than an air compressor.
Sure only 1 or 2 people in the group need that, but what if?
Cell phones are good for 2-5 miles max if you have line of site to the tower.
If your wife, child, best friend was injured, wouldn't you want more?
I would even if they were someone else's wife, child or best friend!
I am that kind of guy.
And the price is only minimally more, $100-$200 to even hit the ISS if need be!
Sometimes when I am board I go to a high spot 10 minutes from home and talk to
Germany or south America from my jeep on 100W and my HF radio...
Trust me, it's a lot of fun!
No, you don't need to, but... to be the guy who saved the day?
Priceless! And damn cheap!

Last edited:
Sure, and it would do well for 1-3 miles in local communications...
But with Ham you can easily get 75 miles for those times when crap happens
and you need more than a air compressor.
Sure only 1 or 2 people in the group need that, but what if?
Cell phones are good for 2-5 miles max if you have line of site to the tower.
If your wife, child, best friend was injured, wouldn't you want more?
I would even if they were someone else's wife, child or best friend!
I am that kind of guy.
And the price is only minimally more, $100-$200 to even hit the ISS if need be!
Sometimes when I am board I go to a high spot 10 minutes from home and talk to
Germany or south America from my jeep on 100W and my HF radio...
Trust me, it's a lot of fun!
No, you don't need to, but... to be the guy who saved the day?
Priceless! And damn cheap!
I have my Garmin inreach for the SHTF scenario. $100k in coverage for like $10-$20 a year on top of monthly plan. I’ve luckily never had to hit the SOS button but it’s there.

I can text from anywhere through it and it tracks my every move so family and friends can log into a website and see where I am whenever they want.

Reactions: Jeepn_Texas
Overclocked says things are going GMRS

Overclocked is misinformed.

While it is true that Midland recently "partnered" with Jeep Jamboree to provide radios to event organizers and staff and that Midland will be pushing GMRS to jamboree participants, it is doubtful that Jeep Jamboree has enough influence on the offroading community as a whole to force a change in the dominant radio platform from CB to GMRS.

I'm not saying that GMRS will never be more popular in the offroading community than it is now, just that its not going to happen anytime soon.

Reactions: Apparition
I have my Garmin inreach for the SHTF scenario. $100k in coverage for like $10-$20 a year on top of monthly plan. I’ve luckily never had to hit the SOS button but it’s there.

I can text from anywhere through it and it tracks my every move so family and friends can log into a website and see where I am whenever they want.
That works well too.

That's the one I used as well.

KJ4WMZ

Just my 2 cents but I think you should go UHF. So you can call in air strikes too.
1580474322970.png

Both!

Have a minimalist Cobra CB installed with a Firestik 2 to the rear.

Have a Motorola UHF and VHF with a bridged cross band repeater all mounted up in the Shittybilt overhead console. Have J-bar antenna on the rear portion of the roll cage. One on each side. Incognito setup.

20190326_130802.jpg

image.jpeg

WP_20131124_002.jpg

WP_20131124_001.jpg

WP_20140118_003.jpg

WP_20140118_001.jpg

WP_20131124_004.jpg

I have a 2 meter ham/VHF radio in my Jeep but I would rather give it up than my CB where Jeeping is concerned. VHF is great but CB is still the most commonly used radio when offroading.

Some people think VHF or GMRS is the only way to go but if you're where there aren't repeaters, or if you're using GMRS, keep in mine that VHF signals are strictly line-of-sight. If the antennas can't see each other, like if there are canyons/mountains/hills in the way, odds are not good the VHF will communicate. Higher frequencies like VHF/UHF share that trait. CB operates on the 27 MHz band which is HF and is not restricted to line-of-sight communications.

Yes I love having both in my TJ but if I had to pick one or the other I'd have to go with the CB. I use CB 9 times for every single use of my ham radio. As a General Class ham you'd think I'd recommend strictly ham VHF radios for the trail use but nope.

Last edited:
I have a 2 meter ham/VHF radio in my Jeep but I would rather give it up than my CB where Jeeping is concerned. VHF is great but CB is still the most commonly used radio when offroading.

Some people think VHF or GMRS is the only way to go but if you're where there aren't repeaters, or if you're using GMRS, keep in mine that VHF signals are strictly line-of-sight. If the antennas can't see each other, like if there are canyons/mountains/hills in the way, odds are not good the VHF will communicate. Higher frequencies like VHF/UHF share that trait. CB operates on the 27 MHz band which is HF and is not restricted to line-of-sight communications.

Yes I love having both in my TJ but if I had to pick one or the other I'd have to go with the CB. I use CB 9 times for every single use of my ham radio. As a General Class ham you'd think I'd recommend strictly ham VHF radios for the trail use but nope.
I agree, but I would rather have all three.
I have enjoyed CB since High school, But when in an open road situation There are some significant pluses to each type of radio. People should use what ever their group uses. I have almost everything from 160M to 70cm in my jeep and the best one is always the one I am talking on. As for being a General Class, you know the radio that works is the one to use! You are very wise that way,
I have snobby friends that would not agree,
but I do!
I also use my HF radio for AM and my 2M/70cM for FM receive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford