Come along manual winches?

If I didn’t have a winch and had no budget to spend and I was stuck and had no one to pull me out, I would probably go buy this....I’m not a fan of Harbor Frieght, I anything I’ve bought there I pretty much did so because I needed it once and never expected to need it again....however I will say my angle grinder from there has been great. Anyway, I’ve seen this do some good work, you’d probably want to attach to a tree then use something like a heavy duty ratchet strap or chain between the vehicle and hand winch so you can take the slack out as you winch. It would be a GIANT pain in the azz BUT if your stuck and only have $50 to your name and your buddy can’t pull you out....give this and a heavy duty chain/ratchet strap a shot...also maybe a pipe to put over the handle to extend it https://www.harborfreight.com/8000-lbs-cable-winch-puller-69855.html

BUT like everyone said....I’m not recommending this, but I’ve seen it work with a LOT of pita factor....when your buried in a 2 feet deep mud hole you really do need a good electric winch.
My buddy has one of those, uses it often,,, to pull garden tractors into his landscape trailer.

I have an old one I used a few times when I first got the Jeep, but I don't really trust it for recovery anymore. However I still carry it with me, you never know what odd job it might be useful for.

Ok so I thought i sent something about the horizontal hijack technique but i must not have sent it but i was curious on how that has worked for anyones tried it

m
I get what you're saying, and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but damn...if you're that broke (only have $50 to your name), what are you doing out wheelin' where your next broken part could very easily cost you way more than you can afford to fix?
Sorry, it's just the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. No offense intended...
my first thought is that come along is only 1/4" cable and good for only 4000 lb the block and tackle doubles the pulling power per say pulling that much weight and that short handle is a disaster waiting to happen if a cable broke

Search Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller. Have carried this hand winch in my work and personal rigs for well over 30 years and have extricated my self many times with it. Way more work than an electric winch but better than a several mile walk out.

OP, back in the last century, I used a come along to get a truck unstuck (not mine). It was a light duty unit, like the one you get from Harbor Freight. The truck was stuck in some muddy ruts, but not up to the axles or frame. It just needed a little tug. If the truck had better tires, it would not have gotten stuck. They do work, but for very few situations.

Have you looked at the "more power puller" hand winch? Very stout, no comparison to the junk at normal hardware store.

I had a highlift jack with come along attachment when I started wheeling. I figured I could pull from any angle and it was significantly cheaper than a winch. I got stuck and used it. It took 4 college age men an hour to set it up and pull it out 10ft and we were exhausted. The next day I bought a winch.

My advice? Buy a winch.

“Child labour” 😅
pic shows our son Sam hard at work with our 3000 pound trusty tirfor in combination with a snatch block and land anker
1612761306160.jpeg

Tirfors are very handy tools , we got ours for 200.-$ at a yard sale
- we used to have it on board with recovery gear , before investing in a WARN 8274
- the landanker is still part of our recovery gear

~•|||||•~👋🏿

Tirfor is definitely one of the best ever recovery tools. If you have 1000' of steel cable you can do a 998' continuous pull. No duty cycle, no regrip, and the effort to run it is pretty light. We used them often in bridge construction. I don't think you can wear one out but they are rebuildable. And for their capacity they are incredibly light.

$200 is a steal. The only reason I don't have one is cuz a Warn winch is often cheaper.

Looks like my backyard, Arrow Lakes ?

Last edited:
Tirfor is definitely one of the best ever recovery tools. If you have 1000' of steel cable you can do a 998' continuous pull. No duty cycle, no regrip, and the effort to run it is pretty light. We used them often in bridge construction. I don't think you can wear one out but they are rebuildable. And for their capacity they are incredibly light.

$200 is a steal. The only reason I don't have one is cuz a Warn winch is often cheaper.

Looks like my backyard, Arrow Lakes ?
Nop
Willistonlake reservoir,(Bennett dam) Hudsons Hope, BC , 2 hours NW of Dawson Creek

Maybe but I've seen it work, it has decent ligit reviews of people using it for pulling cars without it exploding. Now to be honest if I personally had to use one of these under a lot of tension I'd probably throw it away after I was done or retire it to light duty work. Probably would be wise to use winch line blankets with it....heck maybe even throw one over the winch if you can keep it out of the gear lol

I had one fail, but not trying to move a vehicle. It's not the cable or connections that give way, it's the ratchet assembly that flies apart so you don't just get to duck the cable whipping around, but a bunch of shrapnel too.

My old man favored the coffing hoist. Damn if I know why! It took an hour or two to pull your Jeep a hundred feet. Well, I guess it was because short of a bull dozer, that was about it (1960).

Reactions: DETOUR
“Child labour” 😅
pic shows our son Sam hard at work with our 3000 pound trusty tirfor in combination with a snatch block and land anker
View attachment 224551
- we used to have it on board with recovery gear , before investing in a WARN 8274

~•|||||•~👋🏿
When you wheel with a buddy such tasks are never (or at least very seldom) necessary.

Personally I'd almost rather shoot myself than be forced to use a come-along to recover a stuck vehicle.

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
“Child labour” 😅
View attachment 224551

~•|||||•~👋🏿
Wow how many hours did it take to free ?

• Haha
Reactions: DETOUR