Dual-spring coil-over questions

You want nothing to do with the aluminum body shocks. Steel body shocks 980-02-039 and 034 with upgraded reservoirs to however much financial pain you can stand.

Blaine any ideas why for one inch more travel there is 2 inches in compresed length difference? What am I missing?

Reactions: psrivats
Blaine any ideas why for one inch more travel there is 2 inches in compresed length difference? What am I missing?

If you are talking about the 11" versus 12" Fox then it is because when they go to 12" of shaft travel, they put a spacer below the piston to stop the shaft from tipping over laterally and loading the piston and seals incorrectly. And also because most don't set the eyes perfectly neutral at ride height.

Reactions: Blackjack
Thanks, that is what I needed, I am sending the axle to blast and wanted to get it set up, I can adjust the uppers for my specific shock length once I get everything assembled.

You'll need 1.5" spacers for the Poly mounts. Standard Fox is 1.25". That is the mount width, not spacer length.

Reactions: astjp2
@pcoplin tried to warn me to warn me about sticking with 11” fronts… I didn’t understand why till this posting and went with 12” reservoirs.

I know how he feels. Almost none of the folks I explain it to take the advice. I go into detail, with stock fenders, you're hacking up the fender, the mounts are a lot further apart and while that doesn't seem like much, it easily triples the amount of work. Then you get to run gimmick springs which I refuse to do or find a way to retain the lower end of the spring so it doesn't rotate out of the seat under articulation. All are readily solved, none are readily solved with the same effort as 11's. Way too much work for an additional 1/2" up and 1/2" down. You can push the lower down further, at some point you are really messing with the ease in which you can deal with that lower control arm bolt.

I know how he feels. Almost none of the folks I explain it to take the advice. I go into detail, with stock fenders, you're hacking up the fender, the mounts are a lot further apart and while that doesn't seem like much, it easily triples the amount of work. Then you get to run gimmick springs which I refuse to do or find a way to retain the lower end of the spring so it doesn't rotate out of the seat under articulation. All are readily solved, none are readily solved with the same effort as 11's. Way too much work for an additional 1/2" up and 1/2" down. You can push the lower down further, at some point you are really messing with the ease in which you can deal with that lower control arm bolt.

I work well with a few pictures to get things to click, maybe I can get 11's later before I actually start doing the install

Thank you for this explanation @mrblaine. I ordered my shocks a couple days ago and they said they were out of stock on the 11” with a lengthy back order. I started to send you a message and thought “ why would you change what you have stated 100’s of time for me” I looked at the 12” shocks and noticed the collapsed length. This gives me the why! They rechecked and found the 11” shock at another warehouse.

Reactions: mrblaine
I couldn’t find the 11s in stock at any of the usual suppliers and ended up getting them from an eBay seller, which was not my first choice. I was quoted 12 months if backordered, forcing my hand. They are out for delivery today.

Reactions: L J
I couldn’t find the 11s in stock at any of the usual suppliers and ended up getting them from an eBay seller, which was not my first choice. I was quoted 12 months if backordered, forcing my hand. They are out for delivery today.

I went through poly performance they had a few 12” and he said he found the 11” at a warehouse they use. I do not have tracking numbers yet .

Reactions: L J
I went through poly performance they had a few 12” and he said he found the 11” at a warehouse they use. I do not have tracking numbers yet .

I used them, too. Your salesman did a better job them mine. He didn't see those 11" at the other warehouse when I called to order them on Tuesday. I need a button I can press to say, "I'm so over these supply-chain issues." Or maybe it should be, "I'm so over complaining about these supply-chain issues." 🤷‍♂️

[Or maybe I should just stop complaining because it doesn't help!]

I usually deal with Dusty at poly, this time I don’t know who helped me. If you think the supply chain is bad now wait until AB5 effects the truckers here on the west coast.

I used them, too. Your salesman did a better job them mine. He didn't see those 11" at the other warehouse when I called to order them on Tuesday. I need a button I can press to say, "I'm so over these supply-chain issues." Or maybe it should be, "I'm so over complaining about these supply-chain issues." 🤷‍♂️

[Or maybe I should just stop complaining because it doesn't help!]

I got the email today, no 11” shocks until May. I told them to leave on back order for now and send the rears. I have not ordered the mounts yet. I will wait a while to see if the lead time changes. This is a down the road project.

I was dealing with Dusty, and he told me about a year lead time for the 11", which is consistent with the answer you eventually received. I was going to PM you the eBay link that I purchased mine from, but the two they had left are gone, too. :(

It seems most of my projects are "down the road projects," but it's due to the supply chain issues, not by choice. I can't install the shocks until I get the Savvy mid-arm parts, but at least I'll now have them on hand. The one thing I haven't purchased yet is the 35" tires. I don't want to buy tires and have them sit and rot, and I know that as soon as I'm ready to buy them, they'll be unavailable... (or discontinued because they're 15" wheels...)

I was dealing with Dusty, and he told me about a year lead time for the 11", which is consistent with the answer you eventually received. I was going to PM you the eBay link that I purchased mine from, but the two they had left are gone, too. :(

It seems most of my projects are "down the road projects," but it's due to the supply chain issues, not by choice. I can't install the shocks until I get the Savvy mid-arm parts, but at least I'll now have them on hand. The one thing I haven't purchased yet is the 35" tires. I don't want to buy tires and have them sit and rot, and I know that as soon as I'm ready to buy them, they'll be unavailable... (or discontinued because they're 15" wheels...)

I may upgrade to the mid arm, right now my jeep works well with the short arm lift. I will gain a lot in the rear, I think close to 3.5” but the front I think about 2”. So I wouldn’t mind doing the rear now and the front later. I told poly to leave the fronts on back order. If I get on eBay and source some I can cancel or use the credit towards the towers.

Reactions: astjp2
I like the idea of a mid arm, but I am thinking that once set up, going with a fixed length arms since it will force me to not modify any farther once it’s where I initially get it. It will still be better than any razr, with air conditioning and a radio…

I like the idea of a mid arm, but I am thinking that once set up, going with a fixed length arms since it will force me to not modify any farther once it’s where I initially get it. It will still be better than any razr, with air conditioning and a radio…

I know you are smarter than that and not by a little. You have been around this stuff long enough to fully understand that a myriad of things can change on a built rig that would require adjustment of pinion angle, caster settings, ride height, etc. In fact, you can likely come up with 20 reasons why fixed length arms are a very silly idea. So much so that if someone else suggested them, you would be telling them how silly that is.

Reactions: Blackjack
I know you are smarter than that and not by a little. You have been around this stuff long enough to fully understand that a myriad of things can change on a built rig that would require adjustment of pinion angle, caster settings, ride height, etc. In fact, you can likely come up with 20 reasons why fixed length arms are a very silly idea. So much so that if someone else suggested them, you would be telling them how silly that is.

I could possibly see forgoing the expense of double adjustable lowers but no way on god’s green earth would I do that with the uppers on a triangulated four link.