Ford 8.8 vs JK Dana 44

for a TJ ??? to be i did not even see a dana 60 they make for a tj ?

Yes you can get a Dana 60 for a TJ. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Here is Dynatrac Hybrid 44/60

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-44-60-hybrid-axle.html
Their Dana 60

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-60-axle.html
Any of these axles can be ordered for a TJ.

Here is Curries Rockjock axles.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/tj-lj-bolt-in-axle-packages

If it were me, I’d want the second generation stuff with the upgraded parts is all. Unit bearings, ball joints, knuckles seem a tad bit better on the 05 stuff and up. It carries with it some cons and I wouldn't be looking forward to all the material that needs to be removed before swapping. It has it’s pros and cons.
Have you ever held an 04 F-450 knuckle and inner C in your hands?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Yea and they are very nice, popular, and I like the support from Branik on them. Im using the 8 lug Spidertrax unit bearings for my Spidertrax axles under my YJ build.
My point was that at no point in time for anyone wheeling recreationally would you look at that crap in your hands and go "ya know, if this was just a fair bit bigger and stronger, I'd be able to run it on 40" tires doing stupid shit". It is more than plenty big and strong.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Currie's #1 all time best selling axle is a stockish width TJ bolt in HP Dana 60 front with TJ outers.
ill have to say when i called Currie. he Recommended the D-44 and said it was good up to 37" tire. It was the easiest to configure. I guess they have a lot allready figured, because , we added locker , gear size and one other thing,maybe shipping and the quote was done. That was nice.

So if I am reading all of these post correctly I really shouldn’t have any issues with a stock Dana 35 with 3.73s and trac lok running 33x12.50s with a 4.0/42rle for trail riding and mild crawling. If I want to go to 35s then regear with a super35 kit and different locker in the rear.

I read so many people trashing the Dana 35 I feel like it’s going to explode as soon as I pull out from the tire shop with 33s on it.

So if I am reading all of these post correctly I really shouldn’t have any issues with a stock Dana 35 with 3.73s and trac lok running 33x12.50s with a 4.0/42rle for trail riding and mild crawling. If I want to go to 35s then regear with a super35 kit and different locker in the rear.
I read so many people trashing the Dana 35 I feel like it’s going to explode as soon as I pull out from the tire shop with 33s on it.

I broke my Dana 35 with 32” tires. If you’re going to upgrade and off-road the vehicle, do it sooner rather than later.

I was dead set on dana 60s, but then I took axle clearance into effect. So now I'm debating between a built 8.8 or a built JK dana 44, or even a built TJ 44. Can someone with experience with these axles give input? I have a lot more experience with Toyota axles and dana 60s. Im locked in on an eventual diesel swap, at most 350TQ with 35s to 37s. I want to do the Rubicon trail, moab, and POSSIBLY KOH. Thanks for the input
I have snapped the Dana 35 axle in half! Without much effort.
I did an LS Swap and the wimpy Dana 35 could not handle even the slightest amount of power that the LS produces. That being said - I did an 8.8 swap pretty easily. You can get one from a parts yard for about 150$ PULLED! The Artec Truss is about 435$. You can always just get standard mounts from Artec for much less. You will also have to gear it to match the front (mine is 4.88). I also have an Eaton Truetrac. You will need some welding skills and patiently be able to work on the backlash and pinion depth for the new gear. (I did this all myself because I wanted the satisfaction of actually doing it) It will add up, and you could actually purchase the entire 8.8 pre-assembled with your choice of locker, gear and disk breaks for about 3k$.
I had NO problem with the dana 35 when I had a 2.5L engine, 4.88s and 33 inch tires... Really depends on what kind of wheeling you are doing. JMHO

My point was that at no point in time for anyone wheeling recreationally would you look at that crap in your hands and go "ya know, if this was just a fair bit bigger and stronger, I'd be able to run it on 40" tires doing stupid shit". It is more than plenty big and strong.
Agreed my buddy wheel his 99-04 hard on 40s here and added benefit is the bolt pattern matches a 14 bolt rear if that's your rear swap flavor.

Ya know, I had a couple thought processes when i had my Dana 35 in my jeep.
1. before i went wheeling, I was not CONFIDENT my axle would make it.
2. when i was wheeling and going up hill over rocks and mud and slick places. It became a safety issue, because if the axle broke during that hill climb my life and my passengers life (wife) would be in jeopardy. Think about that!
If your really thinking about wheeling and upgrading, go ahead and do it right NOW before you get in a mess you cant get out of. :-/

Reactions: thekevin
ill have to say when i called Currie. he Recommended the D-44 and said it was good up to 37" tire. It was the easiest to configure. I guess they have a lot allready figured, because , we added locker , gear size and one other thing,maybe shipping and the quote was done. That was nice.
And to note further the rear jk44 can be quite a bump for not a ton of work. I got the ECGS 489 I think they call it with is 3-1/4 tubes, semifloat, the 8.75 ring gear, 35 splines, oxlocker and chromoly axles for $3600. Bolt on JL brakes off Craigslist. I'd say in that config it's a decent setup while not unbreakable it can be wheeled on 37s depending on how you use it and on what trails l.

The Dana 35 is usually ok with 33's and a Tracloc, I ran that combination for a couple years, at least so long as you don't also install a locker into it or wheel stupid-aggressively. However, highway performance is just going to suck with 33's and the 3.73 ratio with your 42RLE transmission. The only way around that, mostly, is to be shutting the Overdrive off while on the highway. The engine rpms would be too low on the highway with the OD on.

Right? For obvious reasons (His words, not mine) he ditched his Dana 35 and swapped in a Dana 44 he got on the cheap.
Not being a dick but I’m just curious why you hate on Dana 35s so dogmatically. Literally every thread about super Dana 35s you’re there hating on it. So I’m curious if you’ve actually run a super 35 before and broken it. And if not, why you’re obsessed with posting negative things about it. Who cares if @Jerry Bransford opted for a Dana 44 because he got a good deal on it. No one is saying a Dana 35 is superior to a 44. There are obvious reasons it’s not. The argument is merely that a super 35 is sufficient for locked 35s and that it’s a totally viable and reliable option.