Has anyone ever swapped axles from Rubicon to Sport and Sport to Rubicon?

FarminAg

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone ever swap axles between a Rubicon and Sport and put the Dana 30/d35s in the rubicon? I have access to a rubicon and the owner doesn't care about lockers and Dana 44. I have a sport and would love to do a direct swap. Anyone have experience doing this type of trade and making both jeeps run afterwards?

The axles themselves are directly swappable. You'll just need have some f/r driveshaft work done due to the different u-joint sizes used. You'll need the locker air compressors too, they are mounted on the tcase skidplate just to the rear of the tcase. Wiring the compressors is easy with a pair of simple on-off switches, so is connecting them back to the axles with air hoses. Rear brakes may need a bit of hard-line work if your rear brakes are drums. If he wants to keep his rear disk brakes they can be swapped but that would require some work on the axle shafts.

Anyone ever swap axles between a Rubicon and Sport and put the Dana 30/d35s in the rubicon? I have access to a rubicon and the owner doesn't care about lockers and Dana 44. I have a sport and would love to do a direct swap. Anyone have experience doing this type of trade and making both jeeps run afterwards?
Easily done. The driveshafts will be different, due to a slip and fixed yoke, along with 1310 and 1330 axle ends. Also, the 44 is slightly longer at the pinion.

Reactions: IrishWake
You'll also need the locker pumps, which is easy to wire in.

Reactions: IrishWake
Hell yeah, grab the TC.

Or just swap Jeeps even trade
I have 40k jeep he has 130k or so... mine has been in the family its whole life, I'm too attached lol his is wrecked, minor front end damage plus mine has lived in a barn or garage in a dry climate its whole life, aint no telling where his is from

Thankyou great info!
If you also swap the tcase, swap the drive lines as well and you don’t have to worry about making any mods to them as everything will be the correct length on both jeeps. Just did this exact swap a few months ago. The only issue we ran into was the rubicon was an auto and the sport a manual. We had to put a new input shaft in one of the tcases (I think it was the 231) as the auto and manual had different length input shafts.

Reactions: JMT
If you also swap the tcase, swap the drive lines as well and you don’t have to worry about making any mods to them as everything will be the correct length on both jeeps. Just did this exact swap a few months ago. The only issue we ran into was the rubicon was an auto and the sport a manual. We had to put a new input shaft in one of the tcases (I think it was the 231) as the auto and manual had different length input shafts.
what about any sensors or check engine lights on the rubicon. I don't want him to have any problems after the swap. I mean I'm getting a driveline with 100k more miles on it than mine. Makes me want to just do the Super35 kit and keep my driveline.

what about any sensors or check engine lights on the rubicon. I don't want him to have any problems after the swap. I mean I'm getting a driveline with 100k more miles on it than mine. Makes me want to just do the Super35 kit and keep my driveline.

If you decide you don’t want to do it send me his contact info I’ll drive 13 hrs, do all the work, and give him cash bonus for that higher mileage driveline.

Reactions: reddvltj and JMT
I'd go with the Super 35. Easier and it'll work great.

130K on those axles is nothing. As far as the sensors, there would be no issues on his end. That said, given the low miles you have on the Jeep, I'd be inclined to keep what you have. The 44's are substantially heavier and give up a little bit of ground clearance, compared to your 30/35 combo. If you build what you have, you've got a low miles, original, treasure that will be reliable and plenty strong for your needs.

I'd go with the Super 35. Easier and it'll work great.
130K on those axles is nothing. As far as the sensors, there would be no issues on his end. That said, given the low miles you have on the Jeep, I'd be inclined to keep what you have. The 44's are substantially heavier and give up a little bit of ground clearance, compared to your 30/35 combo. If you build what you have, you've got a low miles, original, treasure that will be reliable and plenty strong for your needs.
Im leaning this way. Just have free d44s to consider too tho. thanks for the advice

Reactions: Irun