Help me understand the Super 35 kit

The history Blaine gave on the Ox Locker's history isn't wild at all, it's dead-on. I met Lazlo and had conversations with him about it right after it was first introduced and Blaine's telling of it is right on. I wouldn't run one either. It has a very small following.

Reactions: Chris
The Dana 35 differential housing plus its stronger axle shafts make the Dana 35 strong enough to make it a non-issue for running 35" tires and a locker on trails generally tougher than most people are willing to chance driving their Jeeps on. A Dana 35 with a good quality (there are some that are not so good) Super 35 kit is significantly stronger and more worthy of pretty much any trail a TJ on 35" tires can make it through.
What tire size do you run on your Jeep? Do you run a Dana 35?

The history Blaine gave on the Ox Locker's history isn't wild at all, it's dead-on. I met Lazlo and had conversations with him about it right after it was first introduced and Blaine's telling of it is right on. I wouldn't run one either. It has a very small following.
I'm not not believing the history. I just think it's wild that was the original theory of operation. Sounds very un user friendly.
The small following was why I tried to provide some info. There wasn't a lot of personal experience that I found. Case and point, the guys question is almost a year old. (I wouldn't have replied if I saw that)

I'm not not believing the history. I just think it's wild that was the original theory of operation. Sounds very un user friendly.
The small following was why I tried to provide some info. There wasn't a lot of personal experience that I found. Case and point, the guys question is almost a year old. (I wouldn't have replied if I saw that)

I appreciate the reply. S35 and an ox are one of the last major mods planned.

Reactions: LittleTankTJ
What tire size do you run on your Jeep? Do you run a Dana 35?
I run 40's. I don't run a 35, I have a HP Dana 60. However, I don't need to run a 35 with a Super 35 kit in it on 35's to relate how well they work if I have been on trails in JV with them over and over with zero issues, right?

2 things; 1) I dont think MrBlaine intends to be an a$$hole. He has a very direct way of speaking and cutting through the b.s. (again, I think.) And 2) then what type of locker (other than selective engagement) would be recommended for winter on road driving that has intermittent ice and snow?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
... And 2) then what type of locker (other than selective engagement) would be recommended for winter on road driving that has intermittent ice and snow?

I've put a fair amount of thought into this. The answer would be a selectable locker. ;)

Reactions: Francesco.com
Don't place too much importance on a few forum comments about the E-Locker unlocking in Reverse, it's a non-issue. Both the E-Locker and the ARB Air Locker have sterling reputations and better reputations by far than the Ox Locker does. You may not know who John Currie of Currie is but he's a very well known developer of Jeep parts and competitor in all kinds of rock crawling/race competitions. He won the US overall championship in the ARCA series that preceded the King of the Hammers, both notoriously tough rock crawling races. John's go-to locker has become the E-Locker. I've had 4 different lockers and if one of my present lockers goes it'll be replaced by an E-Locker.

Edit: I'm not even so sure a 30 spline Ox Locker appropriate for a Dana 35 housing is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr
Don't place too much importance on a few forum comments about the E-Locker unlocking in Reverse, it's a non-issue. Both the E-Locker and the ARB Air Locker have sterling reputations and better reputations by far than the Ox Locker does. You may not know who John Currie of Currie is but he's a very well known developer of Jeep parts and competitor in all kinds of rock crawling/race competitions. He won the US overall championship in the ARCA series that preceded the King of the Hammers, both notoriously tough rock crawling races. John's go-to locker has become the E-Locker. I've had 4 different lockers and if one of my present lockers goes it'll be replaced by an E-Locker.

Edit: I'm not even so sure a 30 spline Ox Locker appropriate for a Dana 35 housing is available.
Yes I've heard of Currie and recognize him as a pioneer. In fact I'm about to order an AntiRock. I've found an OX Locker on their website with 30 spline for Dana 35. The guy I know the has one loves it and I like the idea of the manual drive away lock. Plus I have had airbags on 4 3/4 to diesels and know how reliable airlines are. But I am also very interested in a E-Locker. Was just looking for someones experience with both, like my friend who loves is OX.

Last edited:
Yes I've heard of Currie and recognize him as a pioneer. In fact I'm about to order an AntiRock. (speaking of an AR is there a difference in the adjustable arms? some are just square cut for $430 and some look more modern for $471 but I haven't found the actual difference besides price and appearance.) I've found an OX Locker on their website with 30 spline for Dana 35. The guy I know the has one loves it and I like the idea of the manual drive away lock. Plus I have had airbags on 4 3/4 to diesels and know how reliable airlines are. But I am also very interested in a E-Locker. Was just looking for someones experience with both, like my friend who loves is OX.
You're seeing the difference in the original Currie Antirocks and the newer versions that come out of Rockjock a newer division of Currie for offroad needs. The ability to throw a bolt into an Ox to lock it is of dubious need, it's not a big selling feature except to those who aren't aware reliability not an issue for ARB or E-Lockers. Just one example, I made a count of all the lockers used at King of the Hammers one year I was running checkpoints there and well over 90% of them were running ARB Air Lockers, only 3-4 had Ox Lockers and they were sponsored by Ox. When I did that survey the E-Locker wasn't quite yet fully on the scene so no telling what the mix is now.

You're seeing the difference in the original Currie Antirocks and the newer versions that come out of Rockjock a newer division of Currie for offroad needs. The ability to throw a bolt into an Ox to lock it is of dubious need, it's not a big selling feature except to those who aren't aware reliability not an issue for ARB or E-Lockers. Just one example, I made a count of all the lockers used at King of the Hammers one year I was running checkpoints there and well over 90% of them were running ARB Air Lockers, only 3-4 had Ox Lockers and they were sponsored by Ox. When I did that survey the E-Locker wasn't quite yet fully on the scene so no telling what the mix is now.
so what I found on their website is the newer looking is chromoly and the plainer looking are steel.

Okay, here's a question about the Super35 kits, coming at it from a slightly different direction. We've all no doubt seen (and perhaps been a part of) discussions on the merits of different axle configurations, particularly the meek Dana 35. However, the question I want to ask here is really specific to the 35, and doesn't even attempt to compare or contrast to any other axle. I don't want this to devolve into a religious-level debate on which axle is better. I know basics, pros and cons of the Ford 8.8 and Dana 44 & 60, and even the 30 and 35 to a certain extent. However, I'm not sure that I'm completely clear on the Super35 kit. As they say, information is power, and I'm trying to collect a bit of it as I evaluate different solutions based off of my own needs, use cases and economics. There's as many different styles of rigs out there as there are drivers, just about, so as a spoiled celebrity millionaire princess might say, it's all about me. For now, anyway.

So here's what summarizes what I know, or at least what I think I know. The Super35 kit originated with Superior Axle, I believe the name was, but now, various different manufacturers make their own version of it. The one thing they all aim to have in common is that they strengthen up the traditionally weak components of a factory Dana 35. As I understand it, this includes the axle shafts themselves, usually some kind of locking carrier, and in some cases, spider gears. Many will also use the opportunity to switch out the ring and pinion gears while the unit is opened up.

The pipes that the axle shafts pass through are generally the same construction as a Dana 44, but I don't know about the pumpkin itself. I've also been told that, although it's nowhere near a substitute for a truss or other similar reinforcement, that a heavier duty differential cover can also strengthen up the differential to an extent, or at least prevent a small amount of flexing.

Now, keep in mind, I've been a Jeep owner for all of the past 12 months (I'm almost 50 now), but I've never been shy about working on my own vehicles, so the last year has been a constant learning experience, using the insides of my Jeep as my classroom (with much thanks to you folks here and various YouTube channels who have been indispensable for advice and instruction). I've no doubt done some things wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've also done one or two things right, and still other things that might have the average Jeep owner scratching their head a little. This leads me to some starting points for questions.

How much of what I described above regarding the Super35 is accurate, how much have I completely misunderstood, and how much am I still missing. Are the subtleties that I'm not grasping yet that I need to?

Keep in mind, this post is all about the Super35, what it consists of, what it's not, and what goes with it. Any discussion of other axles will begin when I've soaked in enough here and am ready to move on to the next subject.

New to forums.

I've had my 97 TJ for over 20 years and put way too much deployment $ into it (Just Empty Every Pocket). I run a 6in long arm kit with 33in tires. I've got the Super35 kits front and back with the Detroit LS diffs.

I've used it as a daily driver and trail rig through the Rockies and the Cascades and loved it. I never had problems with highway driving, turning, or Jeeping on the trail.

Just my .02¢ but if I got stuck or only made it partway through a problem set then that's what the winch, block and tackle, tree savers etc are for. I would get razz'd by my trail buddies but I never blew an axle or a diff.

Reactions: murphy350
New to forums.

I've had my 97 TJ for over 20 years and put way too much deployment $ into it (Just Empty Every Pocket). I run a 6in long arm kit with 33in tires. I've got the Super35 kits front and back with the Detroit LS diffs.

I've used it as a daily driver and trail rig through the Rockies and the Cascades and loved it. I never had problems with highway driving, turning, or Jeeping on the trail.

Just my .02¢ but if I got stuck or only made it partway through a problem set then that's what the winch, block and tackle, tree savers etc are for. I would get razz'd by my trail buddies but I never blew an axle or a diff.
Good advice. Im not lookin to go hardcore with mine. Just want to be able to overland and have reliable tools to get out of sticky situations!