Help with the SwayLOC

I'll betcha I can find a linear actuator that'll work on lieu of the air cylinder.

Not that I need it...but I don't have onboard air...

-Mac

I'll betcha I can find a linear actuator that'll work on lieu of the air cylinder.

Not that I need it...but I don't have onboard air...

-Mac

Stop trying to outsmart designers. The reason that air is used is because the cylinder becomes "spring" loaded when the pressurized air fills the cylinder. The spring action is needed to move the locking pin when it achieves neutral state under very little to no load as the chassis moves to level relative to the axle. If you put a linear actuator on it, that is 100% direct force and it will try to yank the pin out of the tapered slot regardless of load on the pin. That will wear it out or break something in short order.

The system uses a single acting spring return air cylinder. If you lose air pressure or switch it off, the spring in the cylinder will relatch the sway bar into the stiffer of the two modes. To function properly, the latch needs to be spring loaded both directions so it can engage or disengage when neutral state is achieved.

Stop trying to outsmart designers. The reason that air is used is because the cylinder becomes "spring" loaded when the pressurized air fills the cylinder. The spring action is needed to move the locking pin when it achieves neutral state under very little to no load as the chassis moves to level relative to the axle. If you put a linear actuator on it, that is 100% direct force and it will try to yank the pin out of the tapered slot regardless of load on the pin. That will wear it out or break something in short order.

The system uses a single acting spring return air cylinder. If you lose air pressure or switch it off, the spring in the cylinder will relatch the sway bar into the stiffer of the two modes. To function properly, the latch needs to be spring loaded both directions so it can engage or disengage when neutral state is achieved.

Completely agree...

Not trying to outsmart...I agree with you completely about the air cushion affect...but just like with air lockers someone eventually figured out how to do an e-locker.

One easy way to do it is calculate the volume of air needed to actuate the lever, find a corresponding ram and fire that with either a linear actuator or solenoid and use that volume of air to fire the original design sans needing a compressor.

But that would add complexity...so I'd reject that method.

I'm guessing you do something similar to me...some folks go to sleep counting sheep...I put myself to sleep thinking through complex problems like this one.

No immediate plans nor needs. Just a puzzle and a hmm, how could I do that...

-Mac

Completely agree...

Not trying to outsmart...I agree with you completely about the air cushion affect...but just like with air lockers someone eventually figured out how to do an e-locker.

One easy way to do it is calculate the volume of air needed to actuate the lever, find a corresponding ram and fire that with either a linear actuator or solenoid and use that volume of air to fire the original design sans needing a compressor.

I'm guessing you do something similar to me...some folks go to sleep counting sheep...I put myself to sleep thinking through complex problems like this one.

-Mac

Have you ever actually used a Swayloc, Mac?

Have you ever actually used a Swayloc, Mac?

Nope! Just thinking as I wait a couple of months for it to show up.

Looks like an awesome upgrade!

We do a lot of driving on highways, roads and dirt to get to wheeling spots...lots of winding roads...

Looking forward to installing one!

-Mac

Completely agree...

And the e-locker is not direct acting either for the same reasons. The locking dog clutch teeth have to line up, you can't directly force that to engage until they are lined up. You also can't unlock one until there is neutral state achieved on the clutch teeth due to the disengagement springs needing to have a lower force that the engagement force or you'd never be able to get it to lock.

The linear could be done easily with the mount in a slot and a spring or two holding it at the middle of the slot with slot length correct.

-Mac
I do but this isn't a complex problem.

Reactions: DrDmoney
1655394091633.png

Completely agree...

-Mac

I think the trick would be to leave the existing latch and spring,and simply use the actuator to replace the lever that pulls on the spring. Then you maintain the intended functionality.

Well even though I was told by Quadratec I had the last one and it shipped on Tuesday and I received a shipping number it wasn’t actually handed over to fed ex until today. So it is supposed to deliver Monday. However the one from Poly Performance will be delivered tomorrow so I have a gift for my friend after all.

Last edited:
If he doesn't, he deserves a kick in the nuts.

He was in shock I believe. He is one of those guys that constantly goes out of his way to help others. He would give the shirt off his back to a perfect stranger. I wish I could do more to show my appreciation for his friendship and all of his help over the last few years. I made sure I got him something he would never purchase for himself. So this was a great gift. And will be a great addition to his TJ as well.

He was in shock I believe. He is one of those guys that constantly goes out of his way to help others. He would give the shirt off his back to a perfect stranger. I wish I could do more to show my appreciation for his friendship and all of his help over the last few years. I made sure I got him something he would never purchase for himself. So this was a great gift. And will be a great addition to his TJ as well.

I just want to put these two together where they belong. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Rescue6 and JMT