How capable is your build?

Yes that will do fine, are you dong gears ?. My son takes my old 95 YJ, 4 cyl, on 33's and he does fine, but it does have ARB's front and rear and re-geared to 4:88's

That's reassuring. I was planning on doing the Rubicon on 33s. My LJR is locked, but no winch.

4" lift, 33s, a tummy tuck, antirock, raised shock mounts and lockers can give you a very capable rig.

I like to think mine is capable. Though I could use a 4:1 ratio in the tcase and I need to do something about my control arms. I get more wheel hop when under load than I want...
adfd.jpg
wall at spring creek - Copy.jpg
3471477d7f7fe71ef58b21a65e0530c0.jpg
IMG_2710.JPEG
IMG_2713.JPEG
20190622_115820.jpg
20190622_115246.jpg

On a scale of 1 - 10 the Rubicon would be a 7-1/2 and Fordyce a 10. I do Fordyce when they do Sierra Trek, otherwise I think the river is to high. It has a lot of similar type of spots like Rubicon you just don't get the long stretches of mild areas. It seams like it's rock fields after rock fields. Don't get me wrong I will most likely be doing it again next year.
I’ve wondered what the sticker on ur hood meant.. I suppose it’s an up grade option, a sticker, or a badge you get for completion?

Say a 4.0 on a 3.75" (2.5" sl+1.25 bl) lift, highline mod, on 35" with super 35, lunchbox locker front and arb back. Will that take me on over the Rubicon and make it enjoyable?

My first trip over the Rubicon Trail was with a 2" lift on 32" AT tires, 3.54 gears, limited slip no locker. It was an epic trip, but not without rock rash and some "upgrade opportunities." Challenging? Yes. Enjoyable? Absolutely.

My second Rubicon trip was with 33" AT tires and rear locker, same 2" suspension lift but with a 1" body lift. Less rock rash this time, and the locker made more obstacles doable on the first try rather than the second or third. Still challenging, but fewer bypasses taken. Enjoyable? You bet.

My most recent trip over the Rubicon was with 35's and 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, 4" suspension lift + 1" body lift, complete armor underneath. No bypasses taken. I had a great time on that trip as well.

I think you see the trend. A jeep "build" is usually an ongoing evolution taking into consideration the type of terrain one needs to traverse, geography, favorite activities, driver experience, skill level, budget, etc. A "capable" rig can be many different things to many different people and will change over time.

Don't worry about building the "perfect" jeep right out the box. Enjoy the journey.

Here is a different take on "capable" jeeps. Some of these are near stock, although certainly not all.

A stock jeep, whether flat fender CJ or a TJ, is much more capable than you might think and there is considerable wisdom in learning the capabilities of what you have as well as your own capabilities as a driver before you start changing things.

151596518.jpg

https://jalopnik.com/how-my-rusty-1948-farm-jeep-challenged-50-000-wrangler-1794535833

I’ve got 2000 SE with 33s, 4.88 gears, ARB in a Dana 44 rear and Aussie in HPD30 front. Here is a video of my doing Outer Limits at Rausch Creek a couple weeks ago:

Sarkis
Nice little build you have going....Outer limits is fun.

My I suggest something though? You seem to be flying through there. Seems to be a lot of hitting your undercarriage and heavy on the gas and hard sudden stops.

Next time out, try a little more finesse. Go a little slower. Really use your clutch, brakes and fuel a little more smoothly. Try crawling it. Put your tires on top of the rocks, let the tires work. Use your clutch and brake more, gas less. When coming down off of a rock, use the friction zone of your clutch and brakes and ease down off of the rocks instead of banging down off of stuff. Try to go as slow as possible without stalling the Jeep. It’ll go a long way to preserving your equipment. Slow is smooth.

On a scale of 1 - 10 the Rubicon would be a 7-1/2 and Fordyce a 10. I do Fordyce when they do Sierra Trek, otherwise I think the river is to high. It has a lot of similar type of spots like Rubicon you just don't get the long stretches of mild areas. It seams like it's rock fields after rock fields. Don't get me wrong I will most likely be doing it again next year.

This man knows what he’s talking about.

I have to drive mine home so I am not sure how capable my Jeep actually is. The other thing is I don't have a real roll cage. My rule is not to do long, difficult, steep climbs until I upgrade my cage.

Reactions: TJ Starting
35’s, 4” Mid arm lift, 1” BL, 4.88, Dana 44 rear, HP30 front, elockers on both. Previous build was short arm with 33’s and a rear locker. Very capable on the smaller tires but was finding myself on more difficult trails where more clearance is optimal.

Attachments

• BC3E67FB-B879-4A6E-81E3-742E5730D201.MOV
    13.1 MB
  • B121AE58-9ABE-43A6-92AD-FC375510E7E0.MOV
    29.9 MB
35’s, 4” Mid arm lift, 1” BL, 4.88, Dana 44 rear, HP30 front, elockers on both. Previous build was short arm with 33’s and a rear locker. Very capable on the smaller tires but was finding myself on more difficult trails where more clearance is optimal.
That's one great looking rig.

Reactions: Plumber1