How capable is your build?

What needs done to your control arms? I have been working on my rear short arm geometry in hopes of reducing hop.

I'm not 100% sure. I need to improve antisquat #s. Which I believe would involve moving arms on the axle side higher. I need to research it a bit more

It’s plenty capable but it’s on a bit more than 33”s now. But did just fine when it was that way.
Hp44 front, rockjock 60 rear, atlas 4speed, lockers and 5.13’s, 37”s and 4” lift and 1.25” body lift. These are from the Liberty trail in Penrose Colorado

05A39117-3CF3-4E39-8C09-6853AC1E09C2.jpeg

FBFD9F28-DE18-435C-A622-6CFB61EF39E6.jpeg

6EC0E018-2643-4E0C-96F7-3A8191FE63BF.jpeg

B7AF3463-A81E-40FC-B1FD-75BBEA33810B.jpeg

74438D43-9F3A-49AC-8AB7-02C020ED5285.jpeg

I'm running "mike" fenders... I had rot on both, and the drivers side was pushed in where it curves down and houses the front directional... it was a win win to cut them. If they came out like crap, I'd just get new ones... if they looked goid than i saved X amount not buying new ones. Wasn't very hard to do.

20180504_112137.jpg

20180504_150108.jpg

20180504_150108.jpg

20180709_162714.jpg

That's just goofy. It's a trail Jeep not a desert racer. I plan on building a cage that fits the purpose. Heck a real race cage doesn't even have a frame.
Not true. The stock class in KOH is full of nearly full frame based rigs with "real" cages in them. I worked with a couple of cage builders trying to find a way to built a removable or operable window bar and none of them could come up with a safe design. To worsen the situation, we have several companies selling bent angle down legs for the A pillar with a very small cross section that is bad.

When you say fits the purpose, that is precisely what I mean about a "predict the future" cage with compromises. You are going to build something that will not protect you in all situations so you have to have the ability to predict the future and hope you never encounter a situation outside what your cage can handle. Good luck, I hope it does what it should and keeps you safe.

Reactions: derekmac
Not true. The stock class in KOH is full of nearly full frame based rigs with "real" cages in them. I worked with a couple of cage builders trying to find a way to built a removable or operable window bar and none of them could come up with a safe design. To worsen the situation, we have several companies selling bent angle down legs for the A pillar with a very small cross section that is bad.

When you say fits the purpose, that is precisely what I mean about a "predict the future" cage with compromises. You are going to build something that will not protect you in all situations so you have to have the ability to predict the future and hope you never encounter a situation outside what your cage can handle. Good luck, I hope it does what it should and keeps you safe.
Is there a decent option out there? Once we tie into the frame there is a lot more work to be done, as mentioned above. We also have a several hurdles to overcome with a real cage in a daily/weekend type build. Obviously an Add On type is not up to KOH specs. Is there a marketed cage that is safer enough for the weekend warrior crowd?

Is there a decent option out there? Once we tie into the frame there is a lot more work to be done, as mentioned above. We also have a several hurdles to overcome with a real cage in a daily/weekend type build. Obviously an Add On type is not up to KOH specs. Is there a marketed cage that is safer enough for the weekend warrior crowd?
I think the issue just confuses folks. Most of that confusion starts with just how much they personify their rig and subconsciously want to protect it while at the same time trying to improve their own safety. That thought process becomes very convoluted and they don't see that they have become inseparable so they want to do something.

I used to install a lot of the so called cages for folks and the conversations were all nearly identical. My wife won't let me take the kids until I get a cage installed. Yeah, sorry, don't trust that to save your life or your kid's lives. I just want something that is better than nothing. You don't have nothing now. I know, but I want more.

Then we got down to how much they want to spend. As little as possible.

No matter how I explained it showed examples of what a cage needs to be and why it needs to be that way, it changed nothing. So, I quit installing them because I won't be a party to someone depending on something that won't save their life.

It would be a whole bunch better if folks would start collecting all the stock cages that got folks killed and put them in a thread. Shouldn't be that hard, right?

Cages are a very touchy thing. I did a lot of reading when I built one years ago. An improperly designed or installed cage can create more harm than a stock cage.
We also have to balance what is practical for our own rig.

Putting a cage over the stock back seat and thinking your kids are safe is silly. I guess the same applies to the front seats as well. Lol.

I also hear, “I only need a cage for slow trail riding”. What about when you are on the highway? There are compromises that have to be made. Only you can decide what is needed. Tough call sometimes.

Cages are a very touchy thing. I did a lot of reading when I built one years ago. An improperly designed or installed cage can create more harm than a stock cage.
We also have to balance what is practical for our own rig.

Putting a cage over the stock back seat and thinking your kids are safe is silly. I guess the same applies to the front seats as well. Lol.

I also hear, “I only need a cage for slow trail riding”. What about when you are on the highway? There are compromises that have to be made. Only you can decide what is needed. Tough call sometimes.
The other thing that is overlooked by most is unless you are riding with a helmet and suspension seats with a 5 point, you have increased the chances of getting hurt and that being more severe than had you just left it alone.

Reactions: Gollywomper
... To worsen the situation, we have several companies selling bent angle down legs for the A pillar with a very small cross section that is bad.

These A pillar plates fit well into the idea that things may have been better left alone. Some of the stories I have read about those plates collapsing are pretty gruesome.

Last edited:
I would like to add something for when my windshield is folded down. Just can’t decide on where my compromise will be.

I'm running "mike" fenders... I had rot on both, and the drivers side was pushed in where it curves down and houses the front directional... it was a win win to cut them. If they came out like crap, I'd just get new ones... if they looked goid than i saved X amount not buying new ones. Wasn't very hard to do.
Where can I find more details on this mod? interested in doing this.

View attachment 114652

View attachment 114653

View attachment 114654

View attachment 114655
If you are going through all that work, why not do a highline mod at that point iita a nice few inches of uptravel, shouldn't be to hard to mod it

I'm sure their a many mods and ways to do things... I like trying "save" things and use what i have. Some times all I have is time and ability. With that said, their are several vids on YouTube that show how to do something similar.

20180504_112137.jpg

20180721_152831.jpg

I get that because the limiting factor is the vertical surface that the plastics mount to. I'm just not crazy about the stock fender look but don't have the $$$ for a fender kit currently.